Revell VW Samba Bus conversion 1/24 scale

My good lady and daughter bought me the Revell VW Samba bus for my birthday an th eunderstanding that I converted it into a camper! Well, I've always liked a challenge and fancied a bit of scratbuuildng so here we go.

First, the obligatory box and parts photo...

webDSCF2686.jpg

I set off by building up the floor pan, suspension and 'engine'...

webDSCF2693.jpg

webDSCF2696.jpg

The detail was adequate but I would rather have had a complete engine rather than just the upper half incuded in the kit. However, as it won't be seen on the finished model I don't know why I am whinging?? But it does have to be said, the fit of parts on this section was excellent.

I then turned my attention to the interior - the focus of the conversion. I built up a long unit down the side which will eventually hold the sink and cooker with cupboards underneath...

webDSCF2716.jpg

and then made a small unit on the other side to hold the fridge...

webDSCF2718.jpg

Next stage will be to modify the seats to fit and then make the cooker, sink & taps etc.

Edited by brianthemodeller

Very nice, Ive had a splitty camper and I would love to make a model of it, I picked up a kit a while back but it never got started. Must dig out some pics of it. Light blue and cream paint, with a splash of rust brown!

Edited by richellis

Excellent I love VWs. I will watch this with Interest, It is good to see what the kit is like. Great work so far. Are you gonna Lower it ?

I am waiting for a Bay window Kit to come out one day (had to sell my bus in June and miss it badly.

Thanks for sharing

All the best

Chris

great start, following this one. I have driven VWs all my motoring life, 3 Beetles (64,70 and 74) being the high lights plus my 1984 Scirrocco, bright red and gorgeous. My daughter wants me to by a van as a 'fun' car, Lord knows where she thinks the money will come from but maybe a Revell Bus will suffice.

We are talking about hiring the real thing for a short holiday; there's a firm on the IOW who do them and we could drop AWMBO and the youngest off and then the wide open roads of the IOW beckon!!!!

Colours will be pale blue and white with some form of decoration (haven't decided what yet).

LOL, mine was a baby powder blue on the bottom, (red areas on the kit box) with a Ivory on top, I had a nice rusty chrome trim between.

I have been looking for pics, but cant find any!

im saving for the Revell T3/T25 camper. i had one, but lasted 2 days after i got it UK legal (it was a German LHD) before being hit by a drunk driver.......... :-( im gonna build it as the one i had.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the slow update - kind of lost interest in modelling at the end of last year but got the mojo back. Here is the latest on the interior:

DSCF2752web.jpg

DSCF2751web.jpg

Double bench seat that would convert into a bed and a single fold up seat facing. Added the hob and grill but need to detail this a lttle more.

More soon (I hope)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit fed up with the interior so decided to have a break from it and build the roof extension.

I set off with the kit canvas roof section and lifted it up using plasticard and then added plastic angle to give some definition to the fabric covering ...

DSCF2786web.jpg

Once this was dry, I superglued Solartex to the box, shaping it around the formers...

DSCF2788web.jpg

Finally, I built up the top box and glued the whole thing to the roof...

DSCF2790web.jpg

Looks a bit rough and ready at the moment but it shoudl look quite effective once painted.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the nudge!

I have been busy painting the interior but had forgotten how long Humbrol Enamel gloss takes to dry between coats - and as the interior is white and light blue you can guess how many coats its taken! Its also a bit of a pain when I can only model for about 30 mins a night due to family commitments and exhaustion after work.

I will put some pics up later today to prove I have been doing my homework, though.

Brian