Some FGR 2 Armament Questions

Calum

Apologies if these have been covered before. But I figure this would be a good place to ask the following

I'm doing one of the grey aircraft from the AirDoc sheet with a full Air Defence load (I assume 4 x AIM 9, 4 X Skyflash and 1 Suu Gun Pod). The dates for the aircraft in the sheet are 1988 to 1992

1. Did RAF Germany F-4 FGR2 use Sky Flash missiles? (pretty sure they did)

2. If so what colour were the live Sky flash missiles?

3. Were the Sidewinders AIM-9L's?

4. Were the AIM-9's white or grey?

5. Did the gun pod have a tapered or blunt/rounded end?

6. Finally what colour was the gun pod?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Calum

The Skyflash was painted bs 381c 627 Light aircraft grey (matt) overall ,a 2" golden yellow hazard band around the warhead (just behind the central wings) and a 2" Brown band around the rocket motor the Raydome is matt white (unglased ceramic in real life).

RAF sidewinders 9L were produced by a European consortium for NATO air forces and werte painted grey the same as USAF missiles using FS paints.

Selwyn

I served on 31Sqn FGR.2's RAF Brüggen in 1975/76 and as far as I can remember the A/C never carried any missiles, only a dummy Sparrow in the forwrad starboard missile well, the port missile well being occupied by the strike camera pod.

Wartime bomb load would have consisted of cluster bombs and SUU cannon for ground attack.

The SUU-23 had a tapered body and was a dirty metallic brown colour.

Hope this helps

XVTonker :pilot:

I served on 31Sqn FGR.2's RAF Brüggen in 1975/76 and as far as I can remember the A/C never carried any missiles, only a dummy Sparrow in the forwrad starboard missile well, the port missile well being occupied by the strike camera pod.

Wartime bomb load would have consisted of cluster bombs and SUU cannon for ground attack.

The SUU-23 had a tapered body and was a dirty metallic brown colour.

Hope this helps

XVTonker :pilot:

I think he was specifically asking about the ADV Sqns (19 & 92) rather than the mud-shifting Sqn's....

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, found the bottom 2 but not the top one. do you think they are live or drill rounds?
ci15.jpg

toomloadedup.jpg

Top picture, the one on the left's a dummy - says INERT on the body, twice. Not sure about the one on the right, but it looks like something's written on the motor casing, presumably "INERT". I'm pretty sure the ones on the bottom pic are dummies.