Buccaneer SB2

Jabba

This is a scheme that I have wanted to do since I saw it in the RAF News around 1977 but have never really got around to it until now. The colour scheme may be a bit of a challenge, but I hopefully think that I am up to it.

BuccaneerGulf001.jpg

the kit

BuccaneerNellis002.jpg

Odds and Ornance resin plus Airwaves ecth update sets.

BuccaneerNellis003.jpg

The markings.

• 2 weeks later...

No I have not forgot about this one and here is a quick update on what I have done so far. The fuselage is together with the intakes removed and the plastic cut away ready for the replacement ones to be fitted. I do have a slight problem with this model as the replacement nose from Odds and Ordnance seems to me to be a little on the small side. It is alright width wise, but seems a bit short in the height department, will really have to have a good look at that before fitting it. Also the tail supplied by the same manufacturer will be modified so that it sits squarely on the fin rather than it being deflected down, as I have not seen many pictures of Buccaneers like this at rest. Any comments gladly welcome.

BuccaneerNellis004.jpg

BuccaneerNellis005.jpg

A quick update on what I have been doing with this model. I have had to do a little surgery as the resin nose that I have was 2mm smaller in height than the kit fuselage. So rather than shaving the fuselage to meet the nose (which I thought the end finish would be rather silly) I decided after marking 1mm either side in height wise of the fuselage centreline to cut the fuselage down the centreline until I reached the resin intakes. I then drew a tapering line from the markings I had already made to meet the fuselage centreline and then whittle away until I got the nose to fit correctly. Then after some superglue, lacky bands and clamps I finally got it all together and I am happy with the result. The resin nose still looks a bit odd though in shape. Still after some filling and sanding this is where I am today. Still a bit more sanding to go and then it is on with the rest of the build. Any comments will be gratefully received.

BuccaneerNellis006.jpg

BuccaneerNellis007.jpg

I have managed to do a bit more work on this model this week. I have fitted the tailplane, airbrakes from the update set and the slipper tanks from the kit. A little bit of final filling is required then I shall start fitting the wing fold. I have also fitted the RWR bits on the wings from the kit and have modified these as all they looked like were bits of rods sticking out of the wings, nothing like the real shape. What I have come up with might not be correct, but it certainly looks alot better.

BuccaneerNellis008.jpg

BuccaneerNellis009.jpg

BuccaneerNellis010.jpg

BuccaneerNellis011.jpg

I have now started to paint this one. I have managed to do the small area of Lt Aircraft Grey around the rear of the fuselage and the sand colour on the fuselage and the lower wings. I have only done the lower wings as it has taken 4 coats of paint to get the density of opaqueness correct. The fuselage at the moment has had 3 coats so far and it is slowly turning this model into a tail sitter. The undercarriage is not attached it is just there so that the model can rest inbetween coats of paint. Still a lot more painting to do which I shall hopefully do throughout the coming week.

BuccaneerNellis012.jpg

BuccaneerNellis013.jpg

BuccaneerNellis014.jpg

A lot of the painting has now been done. I have only applied one coat of the dark earth colour that is why it does not look so good. I have also corrected one of the mistakes that I have found. That is the RWR thingys on the leading edge of the wings. It was whilst following the painting the darl earth that I noticed that there were none of these on the instructions. Thinkung that this was incoerrect I looked at some of the photos that I had and low and behold there were none fitted. So these were swiftly removed and a quick sand down of the area where they were fitted, you can just about see this in one of the following photos.

Any comment are gratefully recieved.

BuccaneerNellis015.jpg

BuccaneerNellis016.jpg

BuccaneerNellis017.jpg

BuccaneerNellis018.jpg

BuccaneerNellis019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see this one is now all painted up. I had a lot of touching up to do after the masking had been removed. I am also not quite the happy about the sandy colour as each time a touch a little area up the paint is different to other areas. Perhaps it is because the paint is quite old. It has also had a coat of Klear, so it is now on with the decalling. Any comment gladly received.

BuccaneerNellis021.jpg

BuccaneerNellis020.jpg

BuccaneerNellis022.jpg

I have now put the decals on this one. The instructions said to use stencils from the kit decal sheet, which if you have the newer Airfix Buccaneer kit you can't, as these decals are not included. Luckily I had one of the older kit decal sheets to hand and was able to use it. I have included all the wing and fuselage walkway markings as I could find a photo saying wether they were on there or not. Now for a little bit of weathering.

BuccaneerNellis024.jpg

BuccaneerNellis023.jpg

BuccaneerNellis026.jpg

BuccaneerNellis025.jpg

BuccaneerNellis027.jpg

BuccaneerNellis028.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wings have been added which was fun to say the least. I have also added the weapons, well an ECM pod and a CBLS. I have been adding some of the smaller bits and getting the ejection seats ready. Hopefully will be finished by Monday so it can be shown at my clubs next meet. Any comments gladly welcomed.

BuccaneerNellis030.jpg

BuccaneerNellis029.jpg

BuccaneerNellis031.jpg