Spitfire seat

EV2UK

Hi guys

Just started work on the Tamiya 1/48 MKVb Spitfire...

Two things...

1). should the seat be interior green.?

2). the instructions say that the seat padding/leather should be black.? is black the correct colour.?

Thanks

Tony

Have a look here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...IRE+SEAT+COLOUR

I think I used Humbrol H100 on my last Spitfire kit and painted the padding Satin Black H85.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

Metal seats were green, or, earlier ones, black. Plastic seats were various shades of red, and went into service from May, 1940. They were originally intended for 1939, but production problems delayed them, and were also meant to be exclusively for Castle Bromwich, but the bombing of the Supermarine works probably changed everything. The seats were completely interchangeable, so no-one can say that you're wrong if it's red or green. One sure thing, though; on the Vb, the Sutton harness straps did not go through the hole in the backrest.

Edgar

One sure thing, though; on the Vb, the Sutton harness straps did not go through the hole in the backrest.

And now I know I have a couple of models with the wrong harness arrangement... oh well, at least I also know more and will not make the same mistake for the next model

And now I know I have a couple of models with the wrong harness arrangement... oh well, at least I also know more and will not make the same mistake for the next model

oh dear, same here............ where does it go then.? has anybody got a picture of the set-up.???

Tony

The "Y" strap went over the back, between the back and the armour, being attached to a cross-member on the seat supports. The "V" strap went through a slot in the head armour, and was attached to cables, which went further down the fuselage.

On a later version of the Sutton (but only available on Marks from the VII onwards,) the "Y" strap had an extra-length cable attachment, allowing it to come through the hole, but it needed a specially-strengthened seat, since the thigh-straps became hip-straps, as well, and were moved back to the corners of the seat. This seems to have been mainly aimed at Seafire seats, since they had spruce blocks fitted between the seat and the armour (presumably to act as supports, and stop vibration on deck-landings,) and these left only about 3" of available space, at the top, which might have caused the harness to jam, when the pilot turned to look behind.

Incidentally, it seems that there was a standard sequence for fitting the straps:- left shoulder, right thigh, left thigh, right shoulder (the straps were actually numbered 1-4, on their ends.) This puts the pin under the left shoulder strap, with the triangle fitted to the right shoulder strap.

For future reference (the imminent Tamiya XVI) I've found that Spitfires with cut-down fuselages (aka "R.V.") and fitted with the fuselage fuel tank, had to have "E" armament, since the compressed-air and oxygen bottles went into the compartments previously occupied by the .303" Brownings, and also had a parachute-style harness, the QL, with quick-release box, whose shoulder straps were fitted directly to the seat bulkhead, giving the pilot no possibility to release the tension, and lean forward. This must have caused consternation, if the gunsight bulb needed replacement, so presumably, until combat, pilots had to fly with loosened straps, but, with them mostly designed for ground-attack, it might not have been too much of a problem. Like the Sutton, the harness was tan, in colour, not the post-war blue.

Edgar

P.S. I do have drawings of the early set-up, but, until I get my broadband connection back ( on the 16th., allegedly :pray:) I'm stuffed.

Why does this passtime/hobbie have to be so confusing/awkward... :hypnotised:

you spend ages looking things up, think you've got it nailed and then somebody can alway prove your wrong.. :D

...still this is all part of the fun isn't it...

• 2 weeks later...
Fully bears out what Edgar's said about the crowbar being mounted beside the seat on the earlier

models.

Actually I got that (totally) wrong, largely because I couldn't understand why there were two mods about fitting the bar, and thought (dangerous pastime, that) that it meant that the first (as I was told by a previous "expert") put it in one place, and the second one moved it to the door. Now I know that it was only viewed as a temporary "fix," with the jettison mechanism being sufficient, on its own, but sense prevailed, and it became permanent. It was always in the door. It was the Hurricane (and, later, the Typhoon and Tempest) which had the bar set along the side of the heelboard.

Edgar