The 1/24 Trumpeter Spitfire Vb Floatplane

Chris Jephcott

So...

Here we go... this is where I have got to with this build:

IMG_0712.jpg

She's hit a deep stall mainly due to the amount of time that I have for model making at the moment, and also that I am awaiting for a spare part to come from Pocketbond (this might scupper the entire project I'm afraid!) - basically, when I finally got around to inspecting the clear parts, the front windshield was cracked in half quite badly - so much so that when I touched it, it fell in half. So that's the absolute deal breaker... I need either pocketbond to stop their fannying around, or to find a replacement part that will do the job...

A lot more work is needed on her too. I want to drybrush the panel lines, re work the guns and cannons, redo the flaps, and a bit of rescribing. Then obviously, it's the gloss coat, decals, gloss coat 2, weathering and finally a matt coat.

however... here we go. Fingers crossed for pocketbond to pull out the goods!

Edited by Chris Jephcott

Thats lovely chris. sunning work so far.

As some will know I'm not a lover of pocketbond, I have the MD's Email Address somewhere if you want it, (we have crossed swords before, over parts!)

However mate, have you tried Airfix, there Mk Vb kit should be a close (and tweekable fit) specially if you get the complete clear sprue.

a50055_supermarine_spitfire_mk_vb.jpg

probably be quicker than waiting for pocketbook.

Good Luck

Dave

Edited by zero

A quick update - a spare canopy has been ordered from Airfix, so hopefully this will be here asap! It's a question as to whether their royal highnesses Pocketbond pull their fingers out or whether Airfix can steal the show now!

Sadly, work has already hit a slow point - I've been in bed for the last 2 days with the flu. A great start to any Group build, I'm sure we'd all agree!!!

Cheers,

Chris

hi when it comes to pocketbond i phoned him every week for three months for a canopy for my 32nd scale flanker it took three years to get here by that time i had bought the xacto one but it was a matter of principal he is not a nice bloke to deal with cheers simon

hi when it comes to pocketbond i phoned him every week for three months for a canopy for my 32nd scale flanker it took three years to get here by that time i had bought the xacto one but it was a matter of principal he is not a nice bloke to deal with cheers simon

Hum Anyone see a Trend developing here?

Anyway :offtopic:

Chris

Glad the suggestion to try Airfix was of use. I'm sure they will come through faster than pocketbond.

Good luck with this one

Dave

DAve,

Many thanks for the suggestion in the first place... The bad news is that I'm now tempted to buy the airfix kit anyway, just to get the canopy piece and then make it at some stage in the not too distant future!!

I can't do it... I just can't... but it looks so nice!!

Cheers!

DAve,

Many thanks for the suggestion in the first place... The bad news is that I'm now tempted to buy the airfix kit anyway, just to get the canopy piece and then make it at some stage in the not too distant future!!

I can't do it... I just can't... but it looks so nice!!

Cheers!

your Welcome

the Airfix spitfire kit is only the Mk1 kit with a few extra bits on a new sprue. so the kit still has all of the faults of the original, ie toy like Undercarriage, massive hinges on the moving surfaces etc. but it can be used as a base for a model with improvements, but I don't think there is two much aftermarket stuff about for it.

However with a little work, it would certainly look impressive next to the float plane VB.

Dave

Right, I have spent today touching it up (oh er missus!)...

This is where she is at the moment - there's still a lot more work to go on, but I've given a coat of Klear today, so I can get on with the weathering and generally other small fiddley bits that need to be done... Notice Cat in background looking less than interested in my work!!

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

• 1 month later...

THIS IS NOT DEAD!!!! :D

The Airfix spare parts arrived yesterday morning and I have spent today fitting and fettling with the front part of the canopy. I've managed to fit it properly and have filled up the remaining gap with white glue. I'm going to see how this sets before painting over it.

There's a good chance that she'll be ready for Decals very shortly now.

Thank you so much for your suggestion Dave, it really has saved me a world of pain with Pocketbond.

But she'll be complete before you know it. Just as well - as I've got the nod to go to Athens again for 3 months at the end of January. Ohhh heck!

DISASTER!!!!

Just as it was starting to pick up again, I get called off a week long standby to go and do some flights from Southampton. Well, it's just 2 nights... but either way, it scuppers the plans to put the decals on this afternoon!

Oh well... At least, now I'll get a chance to go to the Solent Sky Museum. Not all is lost. Better make sure I have some money, as I suspect I might have to buy some kits.

In other news though, I'm going to have to recatalogue all my kits as the bloody computer with the spreadsheet on has finally corrupted its C drive and I've lost it!

Oh well, life is what happens when we should all be making model kits!!