Zero's USMC RF-4B build (#1 build)

zero

right, two updates in a day, I must be doing something wrong.

Camera bay doors are now painted internally and the cameras built and painted black, nothing major to see yet, I'll post up a picture tomorrow once I've done the camera and cassettes.

Basically I'm now looking for pictures or info on the Cameras (i know you won't see much in a black bay, but i'm sure the film cassettes are a different colour to black and i'm pretty sure you will see them through the glazing. (there six windows in the nose, so all will let in light)

I've started a thread on the cameras in the cold war area, but any info or pictures, would really help now.

Dave

Good to see an update Dave, any pics to come?

Yep, appoligies for dragging my feet up to now, So far, in no particular order, snow, car, christmas, flu, compressor change, work, wifes redundancy etc have all had an affect, I came home Wednesday last week with the view to a weekend modelling, and I spent the majority of the time in bed asleep. still dispite the wifes work situation, I can now see some daylight, and I hope to get a lot more done in the next week, I'd like this ready to take to Modelkraft, along with the blue spook too.

pictures tomorrow Promise, after I have assembled the cameras in the bay and joined the fuselages, at present it just looks like a few parts painted black (the tricky bit was masking the windows in the glazing, inside there are no lines to guild you! Eck!!!) but with a bit of weathering and some work tomorrow morning I hope to be sticking major bits together from monday onwards.

thankfully I don't have endless stencils to apply on this one.

Dave

No worries, when you can, looking forward to meeting up again at MK

Me too.

Small hold on this till tomorrow, I asked for some info on the camera's and the bay and the idea of some of the lenses Little cars sell was put in to the frame. for the cameras. I thought about this long and hard, ie silver paint, or lenses, and I think the lenses will show clearly in the dark bays, so I'm going for using those, dispite a small delay to the build this will cause I'm sure I'll still have it finished to put on show at modelkraft.

I'm on three days leave from this morning, so I'm going to be working on this today, and tomorrow, but not joining the fuselage until I have the lenses, which paul is bringing to the MKSMC meeting for me on wednesday. so I'm hoping to close this up, and get it to a painting stage by weekend. (i'm on mornings all weekend so I'll be again working on this in the afternoon. (I will have it ready for modelkraft honest!)

my only distraction will be tomorrow, I hope to have a heritage Jet provost land on my doorstep :S (bought yesterday) along with some S1 Buccaneer intakes, and a reccy pod for coming S1 and S2 builds. I'm nearing the end of my wanted to buy list, after that it new stuff only.

Right onwards. (pictures later)

Dave

Edited by zero

Dave why dont you use stretched clear spruefor the lences?

USAFRF-4E12.jpg

:)

Cause I never thought of that one....... Bug...

Cheers mate, I've asked for the lenses now, and I'm sure Paul will have them ready for me tomorrow night so I will take those, and use your idea if there not there.

Dave

Who is at present attacking the formation lights (hum) why not just add them as decals where needed (or even etch parts and decals) easier to add, over remove them!!! Bar humbug

Pictures later (honest)

PROGRESS

Well I've finally done a little more on this and spent a relaxing afternoon doing job I could get done before building the camera bay and joining the fuselage halfs

Anyway Inside of the camera bays is now painted and the cameras now await a bit more work (stratches, weathering) and the Lenses!

394808896.jpg

Not an exciting picture, but I have now removed all six formation lights, bit of work to do on the panel lines, but I'll do them all at once under my daylight lamp which is in the garage

394808906.jpg

I've cleaned up the blanking plates on the rear missile wells, the etch burner rings are now in the Aires can set, and had a checked round various bits in progress

394808910.jpg

And Lastly I've masked the canopy ready for painting.

394808924.jpg

More tomorrow,

Dave

Looking good so far Dave! Love to see how the camera bay turns out!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks Mate

I've pretty much done all I can without assembling them, so tomorrow I'm taking the day off the kit to tidy my modelling area and the garage. ie it's a mess and I've done nothing in there since well before Christmas, also I need to clean my airbrush, and also sort out the new compressor so I'll get that all ready to start the real work of painting.

Dave

Well got cracking with this today, I've got just over a week now to finish this. Picked up a selection if little lenses from paul last night, so now I can get cracking.

So lenses in places in the cameras, and some light weathering in place on them

394847892.jpg

Basically the camera from the outside of the bay.

394847893.jpg

As I'm using Aires Nozzles on this one, I had to remember to remove part of the fuselage to allow the jetpipes to slide right back into there correct positions

394847894.jpg

394847895.jpg

Test fit of the Wings to the fuslage, making sure all is okay before adding the intakes.

394847896.jpg

394847898.jpg

Dave

the bottom of the kit is a bit of a juggling act, but I was actually quite impressed with the fit, not perfect, but not bad, certainly built worse!!

394847900.jpg

I Still have some masking to do on the outside of the camera bays, but it will come with time.

394847906.jpg

I'm building the kit clean with only the centreline tank in place so all the other holes have been filled,

394847922.jpg

Intakes on, (wing test fitted again) to ensure it all okay and no major gaps (or errors)

394847923.jpg

wings in place, checking the rest all fits in place as it should do, bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but overall the result is not to bad (certainly no major issues)

And where I am to night, starting to look at seems and panel lines, some bits to fill, (ie preping before undercoating)

394847928.jpg

394847926.jpg

thanks for looking Dave

Edited by zero

Looking great Dave! Very nice progress! The lenses look great!

I got Revells old RF-4B and it's nowhere near this kit.

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Hi HÃ¥kan

Thanks mate

I did about another hour or so on this last night, mainly seam cleaning and getting the bird ready for primer. I'm about ready to put some paint on it (primer) then I'll be checking the seams and panel lines (where removed) and cutting those back in.

I hope to have paint on this by wednesday (i'm off all day, Working nights wednesday) and then I hope it will be dry for Friday so when I get up (Working Thurday night too Friday I can do the finishing and decaling friday afternoon and saturday. (I hope to have it finished for saturday night. We will see.

Dave

(sorry no pictures, nothing really to see, I've just been sanding and seaming)

Edited by zero

Dave nice work mate!

did you forget to cut the piece of plastic from the tree at the back of the clear camera piece?

Thanks all

Just left that in place incase I needed to hold it without marking. but thanks for looking out for me.

PS to cold at present to spray, it just clogging, bugger....

but I am seam cleaning ;)

394926674.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

Sadly got to admit this is not going to be ready for tomorrow, To much still to do, but the main point is to cold to work in the garage, and certainly to spray in there at present (if I had got the door seal up it would have been a different case, but having to store all my steps sons stuff in there to just added to the problem in doing that. I will have it finished for the end of the month, but I need some alclad for the back heat shielding, so I'll pick that up tomorrow, all I have left is slivers from the lightning, ie need so umber and blue tones too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mish, sadly I think I have to admit defeat on these at present. I had plenty of time to finish then and then got laid up with flu. i'm now on day 12 of this and I feel worse that I did at the weekend, not only that but it's now gone to my chest so I can't use thinner or glue without coughing my lungs out.

will be trying my best to get finished, but I'm struggling to even think straight at present, let alone build a kit ans paint it, my appoligies for failing so badly on this one, just other issues have demanded my attention all through this gb.

Dave

New quick release connector arrived this morning, so I though I'd plumb it all up and give the new airbrush a go, big mistake, fumes nearly killed me, oh well thats me out of the running to finish, but there was little chance with a weekend of nights to do.

Just a small tip, I bought a compressor with a tank, but it would not come up to full pressure, turned out to be my 3 way manifold causing the issue, lost that and put both brushes on snap connectors and all works fine, ie one hose, two brushes, lot less clutter too. so I've no got a cheapo airbrush for all over big coats, and my H&S infininty for close and fine work.

I will get this finish, but it will sadly be after the close date, I've got Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off next week so I'm hoping to be able to spray this and finish, it.

Tomorrow, is cleaning my display cabinet, ready for this years masterpieces. lol lol lol lol. (no I am serious, more work less net chat)

Dave