Zero's USMC RF-4B build (#1 build)

zero

Well I'll be the first to add a build, I know we start on the first, but no reason why people can't get there builds lined up ready for a early start.

So this is my first project to finish http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53517

As you can see nothing has been done to this, since August, so if anyone needed a KUTA it's me, all the detials regarding the build are in the thread, and nothing has changed, it is going to be an all black USMC F4, and thankfully the aircraft has no (or only very minimal) safety warning markings. so once built, I've not got to spend days decaling it. :)

As you can see the Build is not a long way in, but it has been stalled for nearly 4 months now

390435460.jpg

at least I don't have to build the cockpit

390483566.jpg

and this is what I'm building, so were looking for a mini replica of this

9163.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

Appoligies for dragging my feet and sadly no update as yet. I will start tonight honest!

basically running around trying to get to work with no car (and I work shifts, in the middle of nowhere) so there is no buses to the place.

I hope to get the camera house finished tonight and the fuse parts joined as well. the weather looks to break at the weekend, so I hope to be armed with a black rattle can by then and get the paint on.

more later

Dave (who should be working!) :) but it really quiet at present.

Is it done yet :D

Car? computer? or Model?

Well it's official, my computer is now as dead as my car. plugged it in this morning, to hear the PSU go Fizzzzz, not a good sign. so at present, I only have my work laptop, for internet access, and while I'm waiting for the remortgage to complete, I've got to be very careful what I spend this side of Christmas. So at present I'm having to do with just typing posts, ie my printer and card readers are on my dead PC.

Small chink of hope, I have two Dell PC's not in use, both have card readers fitted so either today or tomorrow, I'll quickly flatten one of them and install XP so I can back to posting pictures ASAP.

As for the phantom, I'm just going to start on the this. I've got a couple of hours, before work.

more later

Well the Phantom build lost again today, but for good reason. had to work this afternoon (still there now! :evil_laugh: ) So this morning I rebuilt one of the spare Dell computers. so I've now got a desktop back up and running with my printer and drives connected too. main reason is I can now repost pictures again which I can't do on the laptop, so now I'm all ready to start building again, and I have all day off tomorrow too (working nights) SO I hope to get a really good start tomorrow, and I can now post some pictures too.

I'll also sort out the reference pictures, a kind member from here sent me, there stunning and clearly show all I need to get this build looking verymuch like the original.

Dave

Well I finally made a start today. I got the Dell running yesterday so I can post pictures back up to my picture site, pretty pointless discribing what I'm doing if you can see the work being done.

So this was what confronted me this morning.

393856200.jpg

Sadly part of the cockpit dropped out, Rear IP, and it has been kicked arround the floor of the garage, I did find it, but some of the paint has been scratched of to reveal the brass underneath, so thats going to need some very careful painting to cover and prefent any more damage.

as it been a while, I wanted to ease myself back in with something a little easy to do, ie the camera bay is next on the fuselage, and that could be a little tricky so I have left that to do a little tidying up and sanding of parts that needed to be done.

As I'm doing this clean, the only addition will be the belly tank, as per the reference pictures I have, so therefore the sway braces moulded on the wings needed to be removed and the drop tank holes filled

393856202.jpg

As you can see, they have been removed on the top bottom half of the wing, but are still present in this picture on the top. if your building a phantom without pylons these need removing, and these lumps are not there, ie there part of the pylon, not the wing.

I've now removed all the sway braces lumps, and filled the wing holes for the drop tanks. I've also added the rear covers for the missile bays at the rear, the RF-4B never flew with these fitted, ie clean for speed, and my reference pictures show that as so, however the covers had a small gap round them dispite them being a pretty good fit, so I've run some tipex around them, this removed very very easy with a bit of scotchbrite or the like, ie filling the gap, but leaving the detail, so hence I've used that over filler.

393856199.jpg

Next I've got the lumps on the tops of the wings to remove, if not present on my research pictures, a few antenna holes to ensure are cleaned and then it will be finishing the camera bay, and cockpit and getting the fuselage together.

Dave

And it starts, looking forward to this one Dave.

oh it certainly does. Problem is my build time will be before the holiday, not during it, ie I'm working Christmas eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and Holiday Monday and Tuesday. I then have a week off, to play catch up, lol

I've just added some of the fantastic reference pictures John B kindly sent me, I hope he doesn't mind me posting a few here.

ie this is what I'm aiming for, again thanks to John B for these Beautiful reference pictures.

393856876.jpg

393856863.jpg

393856855.jpg

393856868.jpg

Dave

Very quick update.

I've removed the lumps from the wing tops now,

393857875.jpg

After cutting the majority of the lumps off, I polished the plastic smooth again with some tamiya cutting compound

393857874.jpg

fortunately I didn't lose all the panel lines, I can still see the majority of them (highlighted in pencil) I'll rescribe these under my daylight light and magnifier when it a bit warmer in the garage. (hopefully the weather will change at the weekend, we will see)

393857871.jpg

what with working tonight, and tomorrow night now, I won't have time to get back to this before wednesday night, I hope the get the camera bays done next, hopefully if all goes well we can have some paint on by the weekend.

Dave

got a very little bit done today, nothing major. built up the cameras ready to be painted, also filled the formation lights ready for sanding. had a spare half hour so it seemed logical to get the filler in place so it had plent of time to dry.

Next job is paint the cameras, mask the bar door windows and get the fuselage together. hope I can get on to painting before the weekend.

Dave

Well it official 2010 is my Annus horribilis. after a really poo-poo year, and thinking nothing more could possible go wrong this year, it has. it looked like it was possable to finish this year on a high, ie a re-mortgage, new car (putting all the problems of the last one far behind me) However sadly it was not to be! Wednesday night my Partner was told she was being made redundant from the job she loves very much. So it very much looks like 2 years of hard work to get back on track, has been wasted, and where going to go right back to where we were before she found this job.

There is a small glimer of hope, in that she will be given a small redundancy package, and wages up to the end of January, and I'll be working Christmas so I will have a large Wage packet in at the end of January. so this means we will be able to at least get me a cheap car to get me mobile again! (I work shifts in the middle of no where) so I can't just hop on a bus to get to work, and if were very careful we should have a breathing space up to the end of Feb, hopefully time enough for her to find another job, and not do to much damage to our credit rating again.

So this year, My Annus horribilis, but I'm not giving up, I maybe down, but I'm far from beaten yet.

My appoligies if I tend to drift in and out of this build for a while, but I'm determine, not to give up on this, unless I really really have too.

Dave

So sorry to hear the news Dave, there seems to so many redundancies at the moment.

Thanks Mish,

:shithappens:

Nothing we can do bar dig in and weather it out till the end. fortunately there is a bit of redundancy, so that will get me mobile again, and her wages will be paid for this month (almost) and next so were still in the clear till the begin of Feb. with my overtime for Crimbo we should be clear and okay up to march and we can claim a few things and she does quailfy for some out of work benefits, so all in all we should be okay (certainly if she is able to find work quickly)

Agree sadly a lot of people are getting Grim news at present. but all you can do is put your head down and give it your best, that just what we will do.

Dave

Well apoligies for being MIA a little. as you can imagine it a little tough here at the moment.

Sadly the weather is hamering everything at present, ie I have two dead cars on the drive, and I need a cheap (reliable) car to get back mobile again, certainly as Im working over Christmas and need transport. I've got 3 night to work this weekend, so I don't I will get anything done before then if I can find a suitable car I can get back to my bench but that number one priority at present.

I'm trying not to make this a bleak christmas, the outlook is not to bad if the missus can find a job quickly, all we can do is get through the holidays and see whats available afterward.

I intend to be about, even if I dont have time, or inclination to build at present.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Oohhh mate- such an awesome scheme- I can't remember ever seeing that one before.

Get to it boy :whip::whip:

It is indeed isn't it, I could not believe it was the second option in the box? there's also a black on white option not covered in the kit, but I may have a go at doing it at some point in time.

How's thing's doing Dave, sorry not been in touch but busy here at the mo.

Hi Mish, no worries, all okay here, just other things have stepped in the way a little for now.

since my last post, mine, my partners, and our youngest son's computers have all had issues. mine blew the PSU, the wifes seemed to have done the same, and my sons HDD failed so it needed a total rebuild. took a little while to get his video Drivers sorted, and once his machine was running okay I turned my attention to the missus, PC. turned out it was not the power supply unit, but a fault in windows that caused it to boot, and then shut off. after ripping the PSU out, and replacing it, it did the very same thing, so I fitted a spare Hard drive and rebuilt windows on that too. so she is now copying files from her old drive, which I , have got working in external USB casing which now it not working as the boot drive, seems to be working enough to get the files off.

As for mine, the PSU from her machine being fine, hopefully will work okay in mine (I hope) not had time to test it yet, what with work and Christmas.

So as you can guess, modelling time, Nil, amount done, Nil.

However on a good point, I only have today, and tomorrow to work now, and then I'm off for a week, so I will get something done, if it kills me. (and having fixed my wifes, and my sons computers) I have lots of brownie points in the bag!!!) all I need now is to find a good solid reliable car at a good price, and get the wife back in to work, and all my problems will be resolved.

At least the christmas overtime will give us a massive boost at the end of Jan, when the bills come in again.

I'm hoping I can get this one near finished by next tuesday, certainly as there is no real complex masking to do, nor millions of stencils.

Dave

It is indeed isn't it, I could not believe it was the second option in the box? there's also a black on white option not covered in the kit, but I may have a go at doing it at some point in time.

Yes i know- would you believe the pic of the jet below, shows the SECOND option in one particular Hasegawa boxing- and not even mentioned on the box!!!

And also- the ONE T-4 trainer I REALLY want to do, and have been waiting for, I now find has been issued in a limited run T-4 boxing with a really crappo choice, probly never even hit the UK :jump_fire::badmood:

1836175.jpg

Edited by Mentalguru

Yes i know- would you believe the pic of the jet below, shows the SECOND option in one particular Hasegawa boxing- and not even mentioned on the box!!!

And also- the ONE T-4 trainer I REALLY want to do, and have been waiting for, I now find has been issued in a limited run T-4 boxing with a really crappo choice, probly never even hit the UK :jump_fire::badmood:

1836175.jpg

yep it amazing what you can find in the box as a second scheme option, I have a thing for JASDF spooks and hence I have several "pretty ones" in the stash to build!

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23450021

Sadly my car situation has got no better, I'm still looking for a good cheap decent car, as I work out in the sticks I need something reliable, so thats taken the majority of my time at present, I'm off to Luton in a few minutes on another search round the dealers, but normally after trolling round for hours, once home, i'm really not in the mood to pick up plastic, specially if the search has been fruitless, and frustrating. The place i'm going to today has had a car I've looked at a few times now on the net, but not visited due to my wife having other ideas, it a thirsty 3 litre, but I have the same car on my drive with a LPG conversion on, so it will be a strieght swap if the cars worth the effort, we will see, I just want something I can get about in, it amazing how much losing your car cramps your independance.

Another issue has been painting / spraying, my partner asked me what I wanted for christmas last year, I said a new compressor, sent her a link of the one I wanted with a tank, and the page link which had others compressors on it, we got crossed wires she thought any on the page would do so I got the top of the page one over the one halfway down with a tank I really needed, so sadly I've not used it a lot! I really needed one with more control for the work I want to do with it. I've got a H&S infinity but the compressor bought doesn't have the presure, nor control I need to use that brush to it's full advantage ( don't get me wrong it a lovely little compressor and it would be idea for most, certainly as a first or second compressor) but the one she bought was little different from the one I sold in the first place. I didn't want to seem ungrateful so I used it for a year, but very, very little, ie it still like new!

So this morning, and I've now ordered what I needed as I want to run at least two brushes at once, if not three.

Well I better get on, I'm hoping to come back with good newson the car front, we will see, if so, I can hopefully get both my life, and my modelling on track, but I'll still be waiting for the postman, ie he now has my compressor, and my christmas present still too. Bar humbug.

Dave

At Last, I seem to have run out of Excuses, to stop me building model kits (well) almost!!!

Finally found a car, that should be a major help, I've also got my new compressor on order, and so be it the last day of my Christmas leave, I hopefully have nothing else to do now but model!!!

Who know my Chrsitmas Present may actually turn up tomorrow also. we will see.

Onwards

Dave

finally collected my car yesterday, so I'm hoping to get on with some real modelling this week. i've got the (newer) car, cleared the old scrap one off of the drive this morning (that was fun getting that started when it was minus 6 out there) and I've even got my new compressor up and working now too. so I've two nights to do now (monday and friday), and then four and a half days off, to my self and no futher problems (I hope, we will see)

I hope to have time to get this and the blue Phantom finished at least

my apoligies for not being about to much on this up to now, i've ha more issues than The Sun to deal with of late (and no page 3!)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Yahoo, I've actually made a start. spent most of the weekend in bed with flu, I'm still sorting finances but at least I have a working car, (fingers firmly crossed) and that ment i'm at least mobile again, and can do some running round again.

Anyway, this morning I have masked the forward, (nose) camera bar, and painted it black internally, it needs a second coat and sadly it nothing exciting, but it a start, one I get the bay done it should come together quite fast but we will see.

As I said, nothing Exciting to show yet, but it's a start.

Dave