Fly Navy

The Velociweiler

Sorry mate but that is a fantasy. Try looking at some of the on-line "discussions" or browse a couple of reviews on the Raptor or the Hellcat and just see how little unconditional raving goes on.

I have looked at the pics Velo posted to make confirm and I still think the cockpit detail is soft compared to the fine work in the wheel well & speed brake.

Also, the panel lines are at long last looking like panel lines yay!!!

I think the comments ref. the cockpit details are fair, but - just from a personal perspective - so little of that detail will be perceptible once painted after build that the particular standard of detail will be academic - I just don't think superior detail will be visible to a degree which would justify the extra work and investment involved.

I think the comments ref. the cockpit details are fair, but - just from a personal perspective - so little of that detail will be perceptible once painted after build that the particular standard of detail will be academic - I just don't think superior detail will be visible to a degree which would justify the extra work and investment involved.

Precisely, given that someone will be along with a huge lump of resin soon!!

Well i solved my problem, the other half found out. According to the misses i talk in my sleep, of course i got a smack bottom and told that i am not allowed it till christmas :(, i am not even allowed to look in the box. Oh well could have been worse, i been given my orders to get her something very nice for christmas as i ruined and messed up her plans. i have one word for it "WOMEN" :whistle::blush: .

Edited by Rabspat

I mentioned that earlier - I've a feeling that the reference to that scheme may have utilised photos taken in 1975 of a - possibly - unchanged 1972 scheme. With a three-year gap, it may or may not be unlikely that the details changed - there's no compelling reason that markings may have been removed or added, but as I say, they may have just played it safe contenting themselves referring to the specific airframe as it appeared in 1975.

I agree with this assessment. I do think that the graffiti was applied during the last cruise. Here is a photo of Sea Vixens showing the extra flare - flower power and all - during 1972 while operational. This is from John Eacott's collection (more can be found by googling his name with 'sea vixen'). It shows 137 in the background with the shark mouth and, with 136 in the foreground displaying the garrish flowers, I think that it is safe to conclude that 137 had its flowers painted on at this time too. In short, I do beleive that this is an operational scheme from the final cruise and Airfix was playing it safe by citing the date of their reference material. - Jack

Vixen136onfinallaunchfromEaglewaistcatbeforegoingUS.jpg

I agree with this assessment. I do think that the graffiti was applied during the last cruise. Here is a photo of Sea Vixens showing the extra flare - flower power and all - during 1972 while operational. This is from John Eacott's collection (more can be found by googling his name with 'sea vixen'). It shows 137 in the background with the shark mouth and, with 136 in the foreground displaying the garrish flowers, I think that it is safe to conclude that 137 had its flowers painted on at this time too. In short, I do beleive that this is an operational scheme from the final cruise and Airfix was playing it safe by citing the date of their reference material. - Jack

Vixen136onfinallaunchfromEaglewaistcatbeforegoingUS.jpg

Hi Jack,

Fab photo,thanks for posting

cheers

mtd

I've made a start on mine (will post in WIP soon)

Q Intake trunking white aft of the intake lip?

Airfix aren't to clear on this and Prime Portal isn't that helpful.

So any ex FAA guys remember? Or any know for that matter?

Thanks

Adrian

Pics of museum aircraft indicate the intake was extra dark sea grey about a foot deep from the lips, then silver or metal from there to the compressor fan.

Jens

Thanks for that Jens

I suspected that being the case, but nice to have 'confirmation'

Adrian

Ah! I thought there was a Kangaroo zapped, but wasn't sure.

Didn't realise it was done as the Aussie roundel!

nice picture thanks

Wouldn't surprise me if there were some Kiwi zaps as well since Eagle visited NZ on that cruise also. Aircraft were landed ashore at one point and on recovery a message was apparently received from Eagle thanking the RNZAF for looking after the aircraft so well, but expressing concern at the post hospitality condition of the crews :)

Edited by mumbles

Thanks Velo

Think 3 rows is correct for FAA rocket pods.

They are as the Royal Navy used 2inch rockets instead of the 2.75inch which was mainly used by the RAF, its just a shame they Airfix have managed to make the nose cone stepped, also a shame they didn't include the air-to-air refuelling pod but the aircraft looks great and I'm sure someone will do the rocket pods and refuelling pod in resin.

Steve

Edited by worm

...'Airfix have managed to make the nose cone stepped'...

Not sure what others think but if you're only going on my rubbish photography, I'll assure you that the camera flash has just exaggerated the rocket tips inside the cone. Others may disagree, but the cone shape is just fine to my eye when viewed in the cold light of day - and personally I'm a bit fussy on ordnance.

...Which leads me on to say, (Even tho' I've said it elsewhere...) that the first accessory pack for this model I'd be inclined to look for would provide some decent British pattern 540lb bombs (four needed for a Vixen), lepus flares and a 2000lb nuke. I suppose Firestreaks would come in handy too, and naturally the buddy pod for IFR. Hate seeing replacement parts for items already in the kit where relevant items not supplied (for perfectly good reasons...) remain resolutely unconsidered by the after market people. Just my tuppence worth...

...'Airfix have managed to make the nose cone stepped'...

Not sure what others think but if you're only going on my rubbish photography, I'll assure you that the camera flash has just exaggerated the rocket tips inside the cone. Others may disagree, but the cone shape is just fine to my eye when viewed in the cold light of day - and personally I'm a bit fussy on ordnance.

A friends bought the kit and I was looking at that, and they are stepped when you run you fingers over them and they shouldn't be.

aaa.jpg

Copy_of_Navy_Photo_s031_pcv.jpg

Edited by worm