Matchbox Bf109E-4 1:32 "White 5"

dr_gn

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Propduster - don't be so hard on yourself! And thanks for the encouragement through the build thread. I think the really amazing thing is the internet itseld: to find a picture of your Grandfather (and his aircraft) on a website must have sent a shiver down the spine - and then to find out people have modellded the aircraft (Jens has done an incredible job of his own "White 5" if you care to look http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...opic=234907303), and have even rendered it for a computer flight simulator must be quite something. We can only wonder what Hans-Georg Schulte himself would have made of it all had he lived just a few years longer...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Propduster - don't be so hard on yourself! And thanks for the encouragement through the build thread. I think the really amazing thing is the Internet itseld: to find a picture of your Grandfather (and his aircraft) on a website must have sent a shiver down the spine - and then to find out people have modellded the aircraft (Jens has done an incredible job of his own "White 5" if you care to look http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...opic=234907303), and have even rendered it for a computer flight simulator must be quite something. We can only wonder what Hans-Georg Schulte himself would have made of it all had he lived just a few years longer...

Totally agree, the Internet has and can bridge both time and geography for many of us.

Yes, thank you, I have seen Jens work, it's outstanding as well, as inspiring.

As to Herr Schulte I can only imagine that he, like so many of his generation, would find it interesting if not surprising, someone would care to model his aircraft; He was just doing his job, so what's all this fuss about the plane?

Oh and as to me being hard on the guy over at the work bench, thou he's a nice dull witted sort that means well.41caaf91.gif He just needs a tongue-in-cheek (ie touch the side of the nose) prodding every so often. so no worries it's "all good"

Speechless! An absolutely fantastic build and to have the model commented on by the relatives of the pilot, what a great story and I can't believe I missed this. I'm now going to brew a coffee and read the whole build progress thread.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

My RFI thread for my version of White 5 (greatly inspired by this thread!) appears to have been lost. :(

The entire WIP and RFI pictures can be found here: http://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/index.php?topic=1667.0

Jens

Looks awesome. Whenever I look at mine I wish the mottling hadn't got lost under the varnish, but your interpretation looks very similar. I didn't have the confidence to replicate the weathering as you have done, so I'd say yours is the more accurate model.

Cheers.

Thanks. Since the weathering depends on the age of the aircraft I guess you just built a slightly earlier version of White 5. ;)

Your build actually had me taking another look at my old Matchbox kit (and the memories it brought back!). I think the Cyber Hobby kit was released shortly afterwards, so I still have the untouched Matchbox kit in the basement. :)

Jens

• Like 1

Thanks. Since the weathering depends on the age of the aircraft I guess you just built a slightly earlier version of White 5. ;)

Your build actually had me taking another look at my old Matchbox kit (and the memories it brought back!). I think the Cyber Hobby kit was released shortly afterwards, so I still have the untouched Matchbox kit in the basement. :)

Jens

That's true re. weathering. I also have happy memories of the Matchbox Bf.109 my Grandad bought me for Christmas 197...6 maybe. I think it was a bit difficult for a 6 year old!

• Like 1