Matchbox Bf109E-4 1:32 "White 5"

dr_gn

This build was awesome from first to last. I think you are veing a bit overly critical of yourself.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Thanks Woody, Martin, Erwin.

Don't get me wrong Martin, I'm happy with the end result, but it's always good to see where improvements can be made for next time, and it's good to have another pair of eyes on something after spending perhaps too much time looking at one thing!

cheers!

Awesome job mate! There's very little to criticise here. Maybe the paint chipping is a little stark, but it's not like it ruins the model or anything. I can only hope mine turns out anywhere near this good.

Kev

Thanks Kev: I'd be very interested to see another Matchbox '109 completed on BM, with less paint chips perhaps!

Thanks Kev: I'd be very interested to see another Matchbox '109 completed on BM, with less paint chips perhaps!

Well, I'm supposed to be building it for the BoB GB on LSP, but I still haven't even started it yet:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30870

You should post yours there too mate, if you're a member.

Kev

Well, I'm supposed to be building it for the BoB GB on LSP, but I still haven't even started it yet:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30870

You should post yours there too mate, if you're a member.

Kev

Kev, yes I looked at your thread there previously - get on with it!!!

I noticed in the Airfix Magazine that Dragon are producing a 1/32 Bf109 with fully detailled engine , cockpit and scale panel gaps as standard :shithappens:

I think posting on Britmodeller (and the Pistonheads Scale Models section) is more than enough for me - all the feedback and comments are very useful to me.

Cheers

Gasrth.

I think you're being far too modest. I think it looks spot on!

Edited by Maxidad

Kev, yes I looked at your thread there previously - get on with it!!!

I noticed in the Airfix Magazine that Dragon are producing a 1/32 Bf109 with fully detailled engine , cockpit and scale panel gaps as standard :shithappens:

I think posting on Britmodeller (and the Pistonheads Scale Models section) is more than enough for me - all the feedback and comments are very useful to me.

Cheers

Gasrth.

And they are also going to shrink it to 1/48- let's hope that the Airfix can be bettered (for accuracy and general shape,) but I somehow doubt it..

And they are also going to shrink it to 1/48- let's hope that the Airfix can be bettered (for accuracy and general shape,) but I somehow doubt it..

Personaly I'm not that concerned about absolute accuracy of aircraft geometry. TBH I probably wouldn't know if it was right or wrong just by looking. In fact, if I saw a really well finished model that didn't look *quite* right, I'd probably assume I'd remembered the real thing incorrectly! Something would have to be grossly out for me to be bothered about correcting it.

Personaly I'm not that concerned about absolute accuracy of aircraft geometry. TBH I probably wouldn't know if it was right or wrong just by looking. In fact, if I saw a really well finished model that didn't look *quite* right, I'd probably assume I'd remembered the real thing incorrectly! Something would have to be grossly out for me to be bothered about correcting it.

Well to a point I agree- but the Tamiya/Hasegawa E kits in 1/48 are about as off as the Hasegawa Mk9 Spit is in RAF world.

It looks great to me. I've read before that the Matchbox kit had issues but when it's finished as well as this I don't think it matters. Very well done, I bet there a more than a few Eduard 109s out there that wouldn't stand direct comparison.

It looks great to me. I've read before that the Matchbox kit had issues but when it's finished as well as this I don't think it matters. Very well done, I bet there a more than a few Eduard 109s out there that wouldn't stand direct comparison.

Thanks Duncan. What issues did you read about? The panel lines are obviously too deep and wide, but the general fit and finish was fine. Some people have said that the engine bearers don't fit properly, but if you read the instructions carefully, they do in fact fit perfectly well once 'sprung' in the correct place.

I did use Eduard photo-etch kits on this model for cockpit and engine/exterior, and the parts fitted uncannily well, particularly the wheel well surrounds, which are quite complicated items. I wonder if any of the Matchbox geometry found it's way into the Eduard moulds? The Radu Brinzan p/e canopy also fitted perfectly in terms of fuselage width and rear fuselage curvature. Just needed some plain plasticard shims to place it properly. BTW, both the Eduard and Brinzan parts were intended specifically for Hasegawa or Eduard kits, not Mathchbox...

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Apologies for the thread bump, but I recently received some excellent information (via a Britmodeller PM) about "White 5" from a relation of the pilot. Just for completeness, here it is:

"During the last week we did some research in the net and stumbled upon the “britmodeller” page. There you posted about your project: Matchbox Bf109E-4 1:32 "White 5". In some posts you were asking about the pilot of the “Sheffield” Bf109E-4 "White 5".

Pilot Uffz. Hans Georg Schulte was my grandfather. He rarely talked about his time in World War II with me. As far as I know, he was shot down two times. The first time he crashed in the British channel and was picked up by the German Marine. Shortly after that crash he went back to flying his “White 5”. He counted for himself 8 victories, from which 7 were verified.

On 6th September his plane was hit while fighting again in the Battle over Britain by a Spitfire. He managed to do an emergency landing in the south of Britain. As far as I know, he was injured by a splinter on the left side of his neck, when his plane was hit. After landing in Britain he must have spent some time in a British military hospital. Later he was transported to Canada as a prisoner of war. There he spent the rest of the war and survived.

After the war he returned to Germany, though I do not know the exact year. When the German Army was reinstalled in the Fifties, he became a pilot again, though he changed to flying helicopters then. He spent some time in the US (e.g. Texas) for some flight instruction courses. Back in Germany he was a helicopter pilot for the new German Army for a couple of years. Later he gave up flying.

Unfortunately he never mentioned anything about technical details of his time flying or details according to the special painting of his “White 5”, the only detail I can remember is, that he was flying with the famous pilot Ernst Udet.

My granddad returned to the UK later in his life to go deer hunting in the north of England and Scotland – and to taste the whiskey ;-). For hunting he returned to Canada as well in the 80ies. In December 2003 he died in the age of 85.

One of the linked pictures in yourpost shows my granddad as a young man:

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/Bf-109E...ce-1940-01.html

He is the second man counting from the left side (white shirt, hands in pockets)

Unfortunately we have not found these old pictures or the Matchbox model of “his white 5” earlier. I think my granddad would have been very surprised what happend to his plane after the crash.

Do you know, if there are more pictures or if the real plane exists still anywhere in Britain?

Hope, that you can deal with my information given, though I can not give you more special or technical details.

It is amazing, what one can find in the www though...

Greets from Germany"

Cheers,

Dr_GN

I would like to make a small point about your model....... it's too good for me to look at, you have accomplished too much, and now you have actual relatives of the pilot contacting you with the "backstory".....It's all just too much!

what kind of criticism can one, offer to such an paragon of the modeling world? 1e6bcf0e.gif

The above drivel is from one old disgruntled phart that has trouble figuring out how ta open da glue bottle, let alone getting a darn model built getsmileyCA80AUP2.gif

:crap:

roflmao.gif

Seriously though; well done!

Kudos for being able to pull off the job with a great bit of skill and style.

Interesting how you first desire to model white 5 came from your family history and has now touched the pilots family history too.

An amazing thing, the range of model building, can have.

Keep up the good work.getsmileyCA01OWOH.gif.....I need more good ideas to seal ........