Matchbox Bf109E-4 1:32 "White 5"

dr_gn

Thanks guys!

You are a hard task master, the kit looks fab, if I was to critacise the grass looks a little too green

ATB

Rich

Thanks Rich!

Remember: Grass is always greener and all that :winkgrin:

Edited by dr_gn

Garth, that is bloody gorgeous! Now if I send you my other one, then you can build it for me and post it back ;)

What do you think you can do with the Matchbox/Revell DH Sea Venom? :wicked:

Cheers James, and thanks for giving me the kit - I've learned a hell of a lot from it.

Build your '109? I think you know the answer to that, and anyway I'd love to see your own build of the same kit...

Sea Venom? I built one in about 1982 I think. Nice model...but I just ordered a 1:32 Wingnut Wings SE5a for a Christmas present for myself. Of course if you're chucking one out, I'd slip you a few quid for it!

Thanks again,

Garth.

Guys,

Much as I truely appreciate the nice comments, I'd *really* appreciate any criticism or tips; I'm trying to improve my skills after all.

I put my Globemaster in the 'Critique Corner' a while ago, but nobody ctritiqued it, just said it was nice!

Thanks in advance,

garth.

Guys,

Much as I truely appreciate the nice comments, I'd *really* appreciate any criticism or tips; I'm trying to improve my skills after all.

I put my Globemaster in the 'Critique Corner' a while ago, but nobody ctritiqued it, just said it was nice!

Thanks in advance,

garth.

Garth

It's truly a work of art and I would feel a fraud criticising it. It's clear that your skills are top-class and the finish is spot-on. If you really want feedback, perhaps the chipping back to bare metal looks a little too stark - perhaps chip back to primer a little instead? There, now I've offered criticism I just feel all dirty!

Garth

It's truly a work of art and I would feel a fraud criticising it. It's clear that your skills are top-class and the finish is spot-on. If you really want feedback, perhaps the chipping back to bare metal looks a little too stark - perhaps chip back to primer a little instead? There, now I've offered criticism I just feel all dirty!

OK, that is *exactly* the kind of thing I wanted to hear - an excellent start! Someone at work also said it looked like it had been in the bottom of a toy box for a few months, so we've got some concurrence!

So the silver is too bright? Maybe add a bit of black to it next time? I asked about paint chipping in the techniques forum, and someone did mention they used pencil graphite to represent aged chips. I intended to add this later, but chickened out after applying the silver!

Thank you for the comments, any more? Please don't hold back!

Cheers,

Garth.

Stunning. Quite stunning.

I have been following this with great interest since I arrived on BM the other week, and the end results certainly justify the effort you put in.

To some extent I agree with the comments about the chipping, though I always find once I have finished going back and tinkering can make it look worse rather than better (OK, not likely with your skills!) Maybe tone down the metal sheen with a bit of matt varnish to give a duller finish? I also find a drop of thinned black (ink or wash, perhaps) can tone down a bright metal sheen.

Honestly though, there is nothing to criticise-it looks wonderful! :goodjob:

Really, I can see hardly anything to critique there, you've done a stunning job. I particularly like the way you have done the tyres, and the subtlety of the engine number. The only minor thing I can suggest is that the rudder ribbing looks a little heavy but thats very minor. I would never have guessed that that was the matchbox kit. Great work!

John

Stunning. Quite stunning.

I have been following this with great interest since I arrived on BM the other week, and the end results certainly justify the effort you put in.

To some extent I agree with the comments about the chipping, though I always find once I have finished going back and tinkering can make it look worse rather than better (OK, not likely with your skills!) Maybe tone down the metal sheen with a bit of matt varnish to give a duller finish? I also find a drop of thinned black (ink or wash, perhaps) can tone down a bright metal sheen.

Honestly though, there is nothing to criticise-it looks wonderful! :goodjob:

Thanks very much.

No, as a rule I'd never go back and correct a finished model, once I've called it finished, that's it for better or worse!

I'll just file away the advice of the experts (in fact any comments) until next time.

Cheers.

What a wonderful result! A beautiful model of a beautiful aircraft :). I enjoyed the build thread (which I hadn't read before now) as much as the end result - thank you!

And thank you too John.

Really, I can see hardly anything to critique there, you've done a stunning job. I particularly like the way you have done the tyres, and the subtlety of the engine number. The only minor thing I can suggest is that the rudder ribbing looks a little heavy but thats very minor. I would never have guessed that that was the matchbox kit. Great work!

John

Thanks John, BTW awesome job on your biplanes, particularly the props; I commented on them this evening.

If my W.W. SE5a looks as good I'll be very, very happy!

ETA RE the rudder, yes, I see what you mean now, but I couldn't have realistically improved it, it would probably have looked worse if I'd sanded it down, then I'd have ended up in all sorts of trouble! Of course the panel lines are way too deep and wide also, but...where do you stop? That's not to say I don't take on board your observations, cheers.

Edited by dr_gn