Need advice on clear doped linen paint finish!

Alfisti

I've used Games Workshop's Bleached Bone to depict CDL on my Roden Strutter and it looks good.What I need now is advice on what colours to shade and weather it,have tried some artists pencils but it looks too harsh.Am using hairy stick at moment (trying to pluck courage up to use new airbrush!) and would appriciate any hints and tips.

Dave.

I've used Games Workshop's Bleached Bone to depict CDL on my Roden Strutter and it looks good.What I need now is advice on what colours to shade and weather it,have tried some artists pencils but it looks too harsh.Am using hairy stick at moment (trying to pluck courage up to use new airbrush!) and would appriciate any hints and tips.

Dave.

Try some MIG pigments, you can get different shades of dust/dirt etc.

You do know it is much easier to do this sort of thing with an airbrush, the courage is needed to get it right with a brush.

If it was me I'd invest in a cheap set of chalks from somewhere like The Works (£3 - £4), not oil based chalks and use those. For the spars(?) I'd mask either side and then rub some ground up white to lighten and then I'd mask up the spar and apply a darker shade on one side only to give the impression of shadow. You could also put a light dusting of yellow/orange to get some tonal variation.

Must be applied to a matt finish though and avoid handling as much as possible after application.

Now you can tell me how the hell to brush paint anything bigger than a pin head.