BA 737 question

Rabspat

• 5 years later...

White and many suggest Halfords Fiat Capri Blue is a good match for the BA blue.

The upper wing metallic section looks fine with aluminium, and the rest of the wing area's are Boeing BAC707 grey, which if memory serves me correctly is matched pretty well by Humbrol 147(?).

Engine cowls would have been BA Blue, apart from the inlet lip and thrust reverser sections.

Matches for the BA blue seem to spark quite a good discussion with opinions ranging from Hu15 (midnight blue) to Xtracolors own take on BA Blue. It's a tricky colour, I work on the Airbus fleet and caught in different light conditions the colour can vary incredibly.

Hope this helps a little,

Eng

• Like 1

White and many suggest Halfords Fiat Capri Blue is a good match for the BA blue.

The upper wing metallic section looks fine with aluminium, and the rest of the wing area's are Boeing BAC707 grey, which if memory serves me correctly is matched pretty well by Humbrol 147(?).

Engine cowls would have been BA Blue, apart from the inlet lip and thrust reverser sections.

Matches for the BA blue seem to spark quite a good discussion with opinions ranging from Hu15 (midnight blue) to Xtracolors own take on BA Blue. It's a tricky colour, I work on the Airbus fleet and caught in different light conditions the colour can vary incredibly.

Hope this helps a little,

Eng

Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue is definitely NOT a match for the current BA blue although it's perfect for the earlier Negus livery which was used from 1974 until 1981. For the current blue I'd go with Halfords Fiat Capri Blue which is a pretty decent compromise if you can't get or don't want Xtracolor X322.

The "correct" Boeing grey is a can of worms. Several modellers suggest that Canadian Voodoo Grey FS16515 is the best match. It's available as Xtracolor X150. Alternatively Halfords Racking Grey is a very close match. If you go shopping for it note that Racking Grey is an enamel and is found with the workshop paints not the car colours.

Aircraft wings get weathered, scuffed and discoloured for a variety of reasons and at the end of the day there really isn't a right or wrong light grey.

• Like 2

Skodadriver,

Cheers for clearing up the unknowns around Hu15, I knew it had come up in discussions around BA blue before. I wholeheartedly agree that it isn't suitable for the current scheme though.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Airfix released their venerable 737-200 in BA livery in the early 1990s.

I'm sure 2-6 or Classic Airliner Decals have various BA 737 liveries in their lists

Indeed they do -

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&ObjectID=79984&PageSize=30&FacetValue_CategoryID=5617557&SearchString=737&Page=2

Not in BA colours but BA are currently using a couple of Jet Time 737-700's into Edinburgh (OY-JTT & OY-JTY).

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

Paul, I saw one of these on the BA Shuttle stand at GLA this morning and wondered if BA had these on lease. I couldn't make out whose aircraft it was. Must be very short of Airbus cover!

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Entirely correct my man! It was an Excel Airways -800 and only worked from LGW in 2007. BA don't have any NG 737s.

Slightly out of date by 6 years but thought I should say that the -800 in BA scheme was indeed registered to XL Airways but it itself was leased from Miami Air for the summer season to XL then operated by GB Airways with XL maintaining the aircraft. I was XL airways maintenance at the time and cut my teeth on this very jet.

• 2 weeks later...