T-45 conversion for the hawk in 1/48th - anyone do one

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Nice colorscheme though and the best I've seen on a Hawk :wub:

Have to agree Daz - it just suits the Hawk. Theres another with blue tail surfaces too. Now to find a T-45 conversion.....

USN is repainting various aricraft in retro schemes for their anniversay it seems. Now where is Model Alliance or Two Bobs?

cheers

Jonners

I'm pretty sure there isn't a conversion in 1:48 yet due to the changes required, but I suspect that there might be a kit soon... If I said anymore, I might get a parcel bomb in the post :unsure:

I seem to remember a thread a copuple of years ago involving the idea of a 1/48 T-45 and a certain American gentleman named Mike...

Perhaps my advancing age has befuddled my memory but I really hope not! :please:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a conversion in 1:48 yet due to the changes required, but I suspect that there might be a kit soon... If I said anymore, I might get a parcel bomb in the post :unsure:

Hmmm the company that did that, and perhaps did some decals for one of the centenary schemes, would surely sell quite a few me thinks.

Heres a note from Arcforums from Gabe Pincelli - a T-45 instructor on whats needed. Hop ehe doesnt mind it being knicked andposted here - very informative.

And heres the thread linky too: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/lofive...hp?t143474.html

"Mar 1 2008, 04:24 AM

OK guys,

Enough "lurking" for me. Time for me to earn my keep. Here's my take (as a current T-45 instructor pilot, modeler, and avid Hawk/Goshawk enthusiast) on what it takes to make a T-45 from a Hawk:

Please note that this is a "quick" list of the major stuff that would be obvious on a model and is not fully representative of the differences between the actual aircraft.

-New nose wheel (modified F/A-18 nose wheel would be a place to start).

-Entire nose section forward of the wing leading edge is deeper and the nose itself is more round. The bottom of the deepened nose actually angles down from where the wing leading edge meets the nose section (There's actually a pretty big seem there on the real jet since the whole wing can be removed) and reaches maximum depth where the nose wheel drag brace meets the fuselage. Italeri captured the forward fuselage shape pretty well in their 1/72 kit. It’s quite obvious if you put it side-by-side with their Hawk T.1 kit. The top profile of the nose forward of the windscreen is the same as a Hawk, but the tip is more rounded due to the deeper bottom profile.

-New main landing gear. Bigger, thicker, longer...basically completely redesigned.

-Bigger wheels. Actually, the wheels may not really be much bigger, but the tires are.

-Main landing gear attachment points moved outboard approx 10 inches.

-Main gear doors completely different in shape. Note: The big main and nose gear doors close after extending the gear, but they are usually seen hanging after the jet is shut down since the plane captains drop them to do the turn-around.

-Wing leading edge is slightly more swept than Hawk and wingtips are squared off to accommodate the slats(make the leading edge a straight line from the point it meets the fuselage and tangent to the existing curved wingtip then square off the tip) The Hawk has a crank in the leading edge near the root. Making the leading edge straight from the root takes the crank out and increases the sweep enough to look right to me.

-Leading edge slats (we park the T-45 with them up so just scribing the slat in would be the easy way to go). The flaps bleed down fairly quickly after shut down, so slats up and flaps down is the most common condition on deck.

-Add the ventral fin, hook attachment fairing and tailhook. (most of this would be pretty easy with some styrene stock, and a shortened Monogram FA-18 tailhook would be convincing enough).

-Add speedbrakes to the fuselage sides. (They are not recessed, but actually just lay flat against the fuselage sides when retracted, so some sheet styrene cut to shape with the slots opened up would work OK).

-Extend and square off the horizontal stab tips. (8 scale inches or so).

-Extend the vertical stab cap approx 10 scale inches.

- The Neomega Hawk cockpit would look close enough to aT-45A for anyone but an actual T-45 pilot. The T-45C has two MFD's in place of the gauges.

-Martin Baker SJU-17 NACES seats. I think the Black Box ones for the late model Hornet look pretty close, although I haven't seen the Quickboost ones in person. They may be better.

I'm sure I left some stuff out, but that should cover the big stuff.

Comparing a 1/72 Italeri Hawk with an Italeri T-45 is actually a great reference for the landing gear, doors, forward fuselage shape and tailhook attachment fairing. The Italeri T-45 is actually quite accurate for a prototype, but ONLY accurate for a prototype because it doesn't have any of the aerodynamic mods. (slats, wingtips, extended horizontal stab tips, extended vertical stab, ventral fin, etc)

In case you're wondering: NO, I haven't completed these mods on a kit of my own. I got a pretty good start on modifying an Airfix Hawk, but I have decided to sideline that project until the Italeri 1/48th Hawk is released just in case it turns out to be a better base kit to start from.

My take on the Collect Aire kit is that it falls far short of portraying a convincing T-45. It looks more like a Hawk with square wingtips to me. The deeper forward fuselage and nose shape in addition to other mods weren't captured at all. I offered CA my assistance when they announced that they were developing the kit back in 1999 or so and they turned me down. Too bad. I think they could've had a real winner with just a bit more research. I have the kit and will use the photo etched fret for the speed brakes and a few other details when I finally get around to finishing one. Don't know what to do with the rest.

I hope this helps and doesn't discourage someone from eventually doing a 1/48th T-45.

-Gabe"

cheers Jonners

Hmmm the company that did that, and perhaps did some decals for one of the centenary schemes, would surely sell quite a few me thinks.

Heres a note from Arcforums from Gabe Pincelli - a T-45 instructor on whats needed. Hop ehe doesnt mind it being knicked andposted here - very informative.

And heres the thread linky too: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/lofive...hp?t143474.html

"Mar 1 2008, 04:24 AM

OK guys,

Enough "lurking" for me. Time for me to earn my keep. Here's my take (as a current T-45 instructor pilot, modeler, and avid Hawk/Goshawk enthusiast) on what it takes to make a T-45 from a Hawk:

Please note that this is a "quick" list of the major stuff that would be obvious on a model and is not fully representative of the differences between the actual aircraft.

-New nose wheel (modified F/A-18 nose wheel would be a place to start).

-Entire nose section forward of the wing leading edge is deeper and the nose itself is more round. The bottom of the deepened nose actually angles down from where the wing leading edge meets the nose section (There's actually a pretty big seem there on the real jet since the whole wing can be removed) and reaches maximum depth where the nose wheel drag brace meets the fuselage. Italeri captured the forward fuselage shape pretty well in their 1/72 kit. It’s quite obvious if you put it side-by-side with their Hawk T.1 kit. The top profile of the nose forward of the windscreen is the same as a Hawk, but the tip is more rounded due to the deeper bottom profile.

-New main landing gear. Bigger, thicker, longer...basically completely redesigned.

-Bigger wheels. Actually, the wheels may not really be much bigger, but the tires are.

-Main landing gear attachment points moved outboard approx 10 inches.

-Main gear doors completely different in shape. Note: The big main and nose gear doors close after extending the gear, but they are usually seen hanging after the jet is shut down since the plane captains drop them to do the turn-around.

-Wing leading edge is slightly more swept than Hawk and wingtips are squared off to accommodate the slats(make the leading edge a straight line from the point it meets the fuselage and tangent to the existing curved wingtip then square off the tip) The Hawk has a crank in the leading edge near the root. Making the leading edge straight from the root takes the crank out and increases the sweep enough to look right to me.

-Leading edge slats (we park the T-45 with them up so just scribing the slat in would be the easy way to go). The flaps bleed down fairly quickly after shut down, so slats up and flaps down is the most common condition on deck.

-Add the ventral fin, hook attachment fairing and tailhook. (most of this would be pretty easy with some styrene stock, and a shortened Monogram FA-18 tailhook would be convincing enough).

-Add speedbrakes to the fuselage sides. (They are not recessed, but actually just lay flat against the fuselage sides when retracted, so some sheet styrene cut to shape with the slots opened up would work OK).

-Extend and square off the horizontal stab tips. (8 scale inches or so).

-Extend the vertical stab cap approx 10 scale inches.

- The Neomega Hawk cockpit would look close enough to aT-45A for anyone but an actual T-45 pilot. The T-45C has two MFD's in place of the gauges.

-Martin Baker SJU-17 NACES seats. I think the Black Box ones for the late model Hornet look pretty close, although I haven't seen the Quickboost ones in person. They may be better.

I'm sure I left some stuff out, but that should cover the big stuff.

Comparing a 1/72 Italeri Hawk with an Italeri T-45 is actually a great reference for the landing gear, doors, forward fuselage shape and tailhook attachment fairing. The Italeri T-45 is actually quite accurate for a prototype, but ONLY accurate for a prototype because it doesn't have any of the aerodynamic mods. (slats, wingtips, extended horizontal stab tips, extended vertical stab, ventral fin, etc)

In case you're wondering: NO, I haven't completed these mods on a kit of my own. I got a pretty good start on modifying an Airfix Hawk, but I have decided to sideline that project until the Italeri 1/48th Hawk is released just in case it turns out to be a better base kit to start from.

My take on the Collect Aire kit is that it falls far short of portraying a convincing T-45. It looks more like a Hawk with square wingtips to me. The deeper forward fuselage and nose shape in addition to other mods weren't captured at all. I offered CA my assistance when they announced that they were developing the kit back in 1999 or so and they turned me down. Too bad. I think they could've had a real winner with just a bit more research. I have the kit and will use the photo etched fret for the speed brakes and a few other details when I finally get around to finishing one. Don't know what to do with the rest.

I hope this helps and doesn't discourage someone from eventually doing a 1/48th T-45.

-Gabe"

cheers Jonners

Model Alliance had the artwork and decal sheet on show at Telford. Two of the anniversary plus one special on the next World Air Power Update Sheet.

There is going to be a 1/48 T-45 coming next year. Cannot elaborate more or by whom.

Cheers

Mike

Interesting, wonder if its the same as we are working with a mainstream company to produce full injection moulded kit?

There is going to be a 1/48 T-45 coming next year. Cannot elaborate more or by whom.

Cheers

Mike

you CAN NOT drop a bombshell like that and not give us some more info!

Its torture

Julien

cheers Jonners

Jon,

Gabe and I are good buds and he has done several masters for Two Mikes. Here is a pic of him during his visit out here to see me. Nice ride huh?

Gabe on the left and yours truly on the right. :)

IMG_8672.jpg

Whilst we're at it any chance of a revised wing and some other bits to modify the 1/72 Italeri T-45 or even the Airfix T.Mk.1?

Cheers,

Rob M.

you may as well just have a new kit, wing, landing gear, airbreaks , cockpit

cheers Jonners

I don't mind at all Jon. I've finally joined this forum (been lurking here for quite a while as well) and have been meaning to dig that list up and copy it over here.

If anyone has any additional questions on the T-45 at all, please feel free to ask. As Mike and Mike have hinted, there is a 1/48th injection molded kit planned within the next year. That being said I don't think the effort required to turn a Hawk into a Goshawk would be worth it. I might paint up a Hawk in the centennial colors to wet my appetite though. I have been in contact with the manufacturer and have offered every bit of help they need to make sure they get it right. I only hope they utiliize my help. If they don't, I will be the first to tell you all exactly what needs to be done to make the kit right.

Now 1/32 may be a different story. As soon as I get my hands on the Revell Germany kit, I will most likely start a conversion. Just cant help myself!

Cheers,

Gabe