hornet

derek burton

Has anyone built any of special hobby`s Hornet/Sea honet series i`ve done some early s/hobby stuff and the fit was abit dodgy has it got any better or are there any other manufacturers who make Hornets that are fairly accurate in 72nd and are still in production.

Has anyone built any of special hobby`s Hornet/Sea honet series i`ve done some early s/hobby stuff and the fit was abit dodgy has it got any better or are there any other manufacturers who make Hornets that are fairly accurate in 72nd and are still in production.

derek i think that the only other 1/72 hornets/sea hornets around are the resin ones in the Magna range,although Martin was talking of dropping them when the SH ones came out HTH cheers chris

There isn't one accurate DH Hornet kit or drawing on the market and the Special Hobby ones are no exception.

John

I did start the Special Hobby kit but got frustrated with all the resin and the fit of the cockpit interior. I did get one of the wings together and an engine nacelle.

Their kits are a lot better than when they started (1995) but I tend to find that the resin rarely fits and they do still need a fair bit of clean up. I think it's all down to whoever is doing their pattern for a specific kit (the Bv 155 I'm sure is based on a CMK kit whilst their Sea Fury seems to have been copied by Trumpeter).

The Magna kits are based on a cleaned up Frog kit and the Skybirds ones are harder to build than the SH ones but look the business when done. You can make a reasonable Hornet from the old Frog kit with a bit of work. There's an article in Scale Aircraft modelling a few years back on how to do it.

Edit: Don't know the issue number but it's from either 2001 or 2002. There's a Seafire/Spitfire on the cover

Edited by The wooksta V2.0