1/48th Canberra....

All of this talk about Canberra's, thought I'd whet some appetite's maybe!!

This E15 (converted from the basic B(I)6 kit) featured as a build article in SAMI some years ago....some of you may therefore be familiar with it! There may also be a picture or two on other websites.

One thing to note -this is a BIG model! Bear that in mind when Airfix issue their B(I)8 & PR9 in the new year - you will need some shelf space!!

It also happens to be one of my all time favourite "builds". the engineering that went into this kit - particularly around the wheel bays and cockpit are just incredible. Well done Aeroclub!!

000_0244.jpg

000_0246.jpg

Hmmmmm niccceeee :worthy: .

John.

Bill,

Rather nice Cranberry that one, the 'pit looks rather good even from a distant shot. Did she take long to build?

Bex

Cool job Meester Beele... any pics of those clever wheel bays then? :hmmm:

I'll show you mine if you want. Fnaaarrr!!!!!

Great job Bill. I was thinking of selling mine but you have changed my mind.

Nige.

Cool job Meester Beele... any pics of those clever wheel bays then? :hmmm:

I have some photo's of the build - somewhere, the SAMI article was at least 4 years ago I think? These photo's were taken in those dark and distant pre-digital days, but if I can find them I'll try to scan them. I'll take some pic's of the completed bay, but the beauty of the design was this: with the fuselage halves joined, plastic spar's doubling as the wheel well walls passed through slots in the fuselage. The bay and undercarriage gear was then built up (mostly white metal) and then the wings - with undercarriage doors removed of course, simply slipped over these pre-built spars. This therefore meant that providing the spars were fitted correctly the wings just fell into place. A run of liquid cement in the join and Bob's yer father's bruvver!

The cockpit was equally as well thought out.....it came with three white metal seats with plenty of additonal white metal for the cockpit. I only used the forward seat but with the huge clear goldfish bowl canopy and door open you could see plenty!!!

Another plus on the Aeroclub kit, was that the forward nose section was in limited run plastic - this had to be added to the fuselage - which had the additional 14" PR3/7 bay referered to in an earlier thread. You scould leave this section on if you wanted to convert to either of these PR types.....

Classic Airframe kits just were'nt/aren't as much fun! I still have my B2 and T17 of theirs to finish, so I should do so before January, or they simply won't get done!!

It should be recalled that Aeroclub WERE going to issue a PR9 some years ago, but stopped well before Airfix and CA declared their PR9's. Airfix will have a hard act to follow though I suspect Airfix didn't go wanting for any references in its R&D on the Canberra - especially the PR9!! ;)

It should be recalled that Aeroclub WERE going to issue a PR9 some years ago, but stopped well before Airfix and CA declared their PR9's. Airfix will have a hard act to follow though I suspect Airfix didn't go wanting for any references in its R&D on the Canberra - especially the PR9!! ;)

And there in lays my fear. Both Aeroclub & CA have listed a PR9 then walked away from it..for what ever reason. I hope Airfix see it through :pray:

Bill,

Rather nice Cranberry that one, the 'pit looks rather good even from a distant shot. Did she take long to build?

Bex

I really can't remember now Becky! But I'd imagine that it was one of those subject's that just fell into place - no more than a month or so I suspect (bearing in mind that I tend to have a few projects on the go at any given time!!!)

Very, very nice Canberra Bill - I really like your paintjob & weathering - spot on, especially the stain on the fuselage from the cartridge starts that's so characteristic of a well used jet! (oh & the base is quite nice too!! :P:lol:)

Keef

Very, very nice Canberra Bill - I really like your paintjob & weathering - spot on, especially the stain on the fuselage from the cartridge starts that's so characteristic of a well used jet! (oh & the base is quite nice too!! :P:lol:)

Keef

Thanks Keith, I did say it was a big model!! The kitchen floor being the only sufficient space available!!! :winkgrin:

Very nice Canny Bill :speak_cool:

Stash of CA kits to do as well or waiting for Airfix?

Me Ca stash and waiting for Airfix!

Must put all those MA decal sets on something!

Adrian

Hi Adrian, Well I do plan to build my two CA Canberra's - already started on the B2 - so should really try to finish her off! Luckily though the B(I)8 & PR9 are sufficiently different from the B2 & B6, so I should do the lot - when Airfix bring out THEIR B2 or B6 I will convert it/them to a PR3/7

Thats the plan...in reality I suspect that the loft will benefit from some serious insulation!!! :blush:

Very Nice. :winkgrin:

Were did you get the markings from, the kit?

I've got the CA Canberra TT18 and don't really want to make a 7 Sqn Canberra.

I'm surprissed the Model Alliance never inclued, any 100 Sqn markings on their decal sheets?. :huh:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun