Zaunbrecher E-1 work in progress

Well I have pretty much finished the airframe, - now only needs a few minor details, final affixing ot the base, flatting back and mask removal.

The base is at stage 2, ie, designed, sourced, initial groundwork done and painted.

Now it's time to bring everything together.

However, I now have an extremely busy two weeks ahead of me work wise.

Anyhow- what do you think so far?

5174474215_88af3326fa_b.jpg

5175077572_c446bf4ae5_b.jpg

5175076338_1350ae0c9b_b.jpg

5174469395_bcf7ca9b8d_b.jpg

Edited by Mentalguru

Looking very nice. From these pics (Google images - apologies to whoever they belong to) it looks like you need more holes on the stbd fuselage side, and the hakencreuz appears to be partially obscured on the port side. Having said that, I'm sure Tango98 would be able to give the definitive view!

K6px4Oxm.jpg

IA0QT2aD.jpg

Presumably you will be adding a rear view mirror?

Keep up the good work!

There you go Rich, Garth beat me to it (I forgot I had this view in my files)with that view of the starboard side which confirms what we discussed the other day - they are holes!

So, in addition to a rear view mirror, are you going to add a couple of old blokes in trilby and bowler to the diorama? :D

Also interesting to see what appears to be the remains of a part of the main canopy frame sitting atop the fuselage.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks guys-

apparently, believe it or not, the original bullet holes were cut from the airframe using snips, and then sold, by whoom to whoom, I'm not sure , but it was probably part of the war effort thing. You can see in the photo, how they have indeed been cut from the aircraft skin.

As far as the canopy goes, this photo has been taken some time after the forced landing, probably at a different location, and that canopy- hhmm- 110? There's still a fair bit of work to do, and yes- UHU does melt Gunze paint :(

There you go Rich, Garth beat me to it (I forgot I had this view in my files)with that view of the starboard side which confirms what we discussed the other day - they are holes!

So, in addition to a rear view mirror, are you going to add a couple of old blokes in trilby and bowler to the diorama? :D

Also interesting to see what appears to be the remains of a part of the main canopy frame sitting atop the fuselage.

Cheers

Dave

As far as the rear mirror goes, after much deliberation, I had decided to scratch one, and the central frame to which it was affixed, and Klear or T-22 it into place very near the end of the build.

Figures... computer says no.

Also- remember the black footstep line we were talking about..?

Edited by Mentalguru

Thanks guys-

apparently, believe it or not, the original bullet holes were cut from the airframe using snips, and then sold, by whoom to whoom, I'm not sure , but it was probably part of the war effort thing. You can see in the photo, how they have indeed been cut from the aircraft skin.

As far as the canopy goes, this photo has been taken some time after the forced landing, probably at a different location, and that canopy- hhmm- 110? There's still a fair bit of work to do, and yes- UHU does melt Gunze paint :(

As far as the rear mirror goes, after much deliberation, I had decided to scratch one, and the central frame to which it was affixed, and Klear or T-22 it into place very near the end of the build.

Figures... computer says no.

Also- remember the black footstep line we were talking about..?

I couldn't figure out why some holes were bigger on later pictures: my first thought was that they were added later to make it look more dramatic for morale! Obviously now you mention it , the stright cuts around the original holes are obvious:

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/Bf-109E...aunbrecher.html

I guess with both our '109 builds, a final matt coat will make a big difference? I certianly hope it does with mine, they don't look right in gloss!

Very nice.

It is interesting to note the pics offered here are from different times - one in the field and another later, being inspected by chaps in trench coats and leather street shoes... and 'trilby and bowlers' (hadda research 'trilby' :) ). Very neat the bit about the bullet holes being cut out for re-sale.

So, Im especially pleased to see the scattered holes from machine gun fire are NOT the size of moon craters.

British fighters of the period fired rifle caliber, non exploding ammunition, ASFAIR... rimmed .303 stuff, if memory serves. This is why early Spits and Hurri's had 8 guns! And what with all that lead flying around, the shots should be scattered and not seen evenly strafing the surface, like in cartoons.

I dont mean to tell the Brits their business, but gaping holes from high powered aerial guns would seem inappropriate. I also like the way the groundwork has been made to look like a worked farm field. Rather nicely done.

Edited by dahut