WNW 1/32 Albatros DV (Change of Plan)

T-Tango

Morning all;

Salutations from the Eastern side of the Western Front, the next project is in the pipeline, it is the WNW Albatros DV in the markings of Ltn Fritz Rumeys Devil, just waiting for the kit to arrive, which should be any day now, the markings are Pheon Models Limited Edition, courtesy of Rowan Broadbent, photos of the build will follow as I progress.

I hope you like the scheme.

rdp01.jpg

Cheers me dears.

Pete von Enjoyingbuildingkaiserkites spandau.gif

Edited by T-Tango

Morning all;

The kit finally arrived yesterday, up to the usual WNW very high standards, I'm not expecting too many problems with this one as the sprues look the same as the DVa kit, I'll just have to go careful and not knock this one off the shelf, any way the usual box shot.

dv01.jpg

On with the plastic tickleing

Cheers me dears

Pete von Buildingkaiserkites. spandau.gif

Hi Pete i've just started this very same kit for a GB over at Swanny's hopefully using one of Rowans new schemes as none of the in box schemes appealed that much.

I must say i'm quite taken with biplanes now with a SE5a and a pup under my belt, and I know i'm going to get a virtual flogging for this but I started a Spitfire after I completed my Pup and it just bored me.

For inspiration i'm following Brads and tbells builds over at the Aerodrome, they really are something special.

Hi Pete i've just started this very same kit for a GB over at Swanny's hopefully using one of Rowans new schemes as none of the in box schemes appealed that much.

I must say i'm quite taken with biplanes now with a SE5a and a pup under my belt, and I know i'm going to get a virtual flogging for this but I started a Spitfire after I completed my Pup and it just bored me.

For inspiration i'm following Brads and tbells builds over at the Aerodrome, they really are something special.

Yes I must admit I'm very much in to 'bipes' now, I've just posted this build thread on the Aerodrome as well.

One thing you should watch out for with the WNW DV and DVa is the bulkheads, they are a precision fit, if you are a fraction out the two fusilage halves wont fit together and out comes the filler, I found this out on the DVa and finished up with a tapering 1mm gap underneath, between the nose and the 2 inspection panels by the lower wing.

Good luck with the build, keep us posted with pics.

Cheers

Pete spandau.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all;

A small update, the internal woodwork is painted and waiting for it to dry, a bit of detail work on the engine, I just hope I'm doing the 'old girl' justice.

Your comments as always gratefully received.

dv02.jpg

Cheers me dears.

Pete von Builderofkaiserkites spandau.gif

looking good Pete. I see you're wiring up the engine, I did think about it and then decided against it on my build I think next time i'll attempt it.

I take it you'll be going covers off. I'm umming and ahhing about what to do as the shape improves dramatically with the covers on IMO.

too cold to paint in the garage at the moment though.

Hi Pete,

Any progress on Fritz's bird?

Just a pointer... The manifold needs to be painted a steel colour, me old mucker ;) . If you feel really adventurous, you can recreate asbestos wrap with thin strips of rizla paper.

Model on!

Von buckle

Morning Bobsie me ol' Buckle, the old bird is progressing slowly but surely, thanks for the heads up on the manifold colour, as regards the asbestos wrap, I've checked with Rowan about this in the past and he said that it was something that he wasn't too sure about, some engines had it, some didn't, basically the choice is yours.

We'll model on

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, December has been a bit of a mixed month all coupled with a slight loss of mojo, however new year, I feel the mojo returning, so hopefully I will be back on the Western Front this week after a few weeks of R and R.

Cheers

Pete spandau.gif

I've had a change of plan, as I'm not 100% pleased with the way this project has gone I'm gonna put 'Rumeys Devil' on hold for a bit, Rowans sent me some more decals so I will be doing this Albie as Uffz. Paul Baumer's plane, but never fear I've another Albie DV in the stash and I will be doing this one as 'Rumeys Devil'.

Cheers

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Salutations from the Western Front, after a lull in the modelling front, I now seem to be back on track with the Albatros DV, everything now seems to be in place in the fusilage, ready for the coming together of the two halves, I've been test fitting every step of the way so I'm hoping that it joins up OK.

Latest update pic.

dv03.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Pete spandau.gif

The fusilage is buttoned up, the test fitting every step of the way seems to have paid off, the two halves went together perfectly, no gaps at all, which is a great relief, so on with the woodwork.

Pete spandau.gif

This arrived today, a replacement exhaust from Tigermodels in America, it is resin, 1/32 and suitable for both the WNW Albatros DV and DVa.

Although you can't see them too well it also has the welding seams where the exhaust stubs join the main pipe.

exh.jpg

What do you guys think?

Tigermodels Linky

Cheers.

Pete spandau.gif

Pete,

That exhaust loks fantastic. How do you paint them? I need to work out a good method for getting that burnt/rusty look. I'd be interested in getting some ideas.

Can we have a couple of update pics now you have the fuselage together?

Its going to look great in Baumers colours, I'll be following this!

John

Pete,

That exhaust loks fantastic. How do you paint them? I need to work out a good method for getting that burnt/rusty look. I'd be interested in getting some ideas.

Can we have a couple of update pics now you have the fuselage together?

Its going to look great in Baumers colours, I'll be following this!

John

Hi John, hopefully I will be taking some update pics either Sunday or Monday as SWMBO has decreed I've some jobs to do over the weekend, so I'll see how things go.

As regards the exhaust, go to this linky WNW Colour Photo's there are 2or 3 photo's of a rebuilt DVa exhaust. HTH

Cheers

Pete

Latest update pics on the Albie, the wings have been Kleared ready for decals etc. the rudder and elevator are also sprayed white.

dv04.jpg

dv05.jpg

dv06.jpg

The wings are quite a bit darker than they have come out in the photo.

As usual any comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Pete spandau.gif