Arctic Jag

InFlames

I like the temporary camos for Arctic deployments and I wonder if there were Jags ever decorated with this camo and if so, can someone provide me with some pics, cause I'd like to build a Jag in this scheme.

Thanks!

Yes there was predominetly 41 sqn did the bardufoss det but 54(f) did the last one GB was one of the last two jets in artic camo have a look at www.sepecat.info search for winter camo bardufoss etc.

glad to help

wardy

• 2 weeks later...
I like the temporary camos for Arctic deployments and I wonder if there were Jags ever decorated with this camo and if so, can someone provide me with some pics, cause I'd like to build a Jag in this scheme.

Thanks!

send me a pm; i have some pics but not on the ftp server..

Skybert

Edited by Skybert

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

I like them, too. In researching these schemes, Ive seen plenty of pics of both 54 and 41 Sq Jags on Norwegian deploy in winter white coats. One thing is apparent: as during WWII, these schemes were intended to be temporaray and field expedient, applied by the OPS units when needed. It seems to have eventually standardized on one of the disruptive Euro colors painted over in waterbased white, like so:

SEPECAT41white.jpg

This is one of 41 Sq's birds

SEPECAT0798427.jpg

Heres one from 54 Sq.

Notice the winter paint has been either sprayed or brushed on, and fotos show that each squadron does it differently for any given deployment - sometimes it's the grey that is covered, others its is the green that gets painted over. Either way, it's nice and neat here.

Here's a couple of what I call the "slapdapple" approach, where the white is just brushed on in a random, dapple pattern:

SEPECAT41white22.jpg

41. Sq and see the squadron badge and markings have gotten brushed right over. Not very tidy!

SEPECATwinterscan-3.jpg

The slapdapple 'in action', as it were.

normal_41Sno2.jpg

Here's another of the same thing

SEPECATbrushsnowhite.jpg

And we would not be complete without showing one modelers effort to replicate the slapdapple effect.

SEPECAT1186220.jpg

Here's an all white one. I don't know if its a show bird, or one off experiment.

normal_84-JAGUARSNOWBLUE12MAR8420CO.jpg

Here's the light-blue and white slapdapple variant. This is a 41 Sq. plane. Seems to have been short lived but is uniquely different and appealing, at least to me.

I am no Jag expert and dont know the details on all this stuff. What is apparent, though, is that there was a lot of experimentation and variation over the years and I know the RAF worked at it to get it right. As, I said, up top, I believe the white sprayed over one of the temperate Euro colors of green or grey was the last. I would suggest you stick to good reference pics when you do these schemes, so you can get it right.

Seems white over the two-tone grey scheme to me Mike.

As far as I can recall XV115 was an experimental one-off scheme. Would make for a different model, bound to draw a bit of interest in any show.

I'm waiting for a set of Model Alliance decals to arrive from Aeroclub that contains markings for a 41Sqn. bird, the instructions looked quite comprehensive from what I read.

Edited by Col.

Seems white over the two-tone grey scheme to me, Mike.

As far as I can recall XV115 was an experimental one-off scheme. Would make for a different model, bound to draw a bit of interest in any show.

It does seem white in almost all the pics Ive seen. I have read somewhere that there was a grey on grey, but it seems again to have been not the norm.

The White Jag, XZ115 would indeed make a neat subject. I wonder if I can cobble up some serials and a few more pics...

seems like the 54 squadron one has two shades of grey rather than white unless it is my eyes playing tricks on me.

BTW, I am doing the 54 Squadron marked Nordic Scheme for my GB kit :)

Mike

Do your 54 in grey white and Ill do mine in 41 green white, Mike. What say?

(I have those decals in the box, is why I mention it...)

Edited by dahut

The White Jag, XZ115 would indeed make a neat subject. I wonder if I can cobble up some serials and a few more pics...

Trust me to not be paying attention :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've seen some other photos of XZ115 somewhere, might have a look when I get home later.

Trust me to not be paying attention :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've seen some other photos of XZ115 somewhere, might have a look when I get home later.

That would be loverly!