Airfix Airco DH4 and Eduard Eindekker

desmojen

Can I join in please? :)

I have this lovely Airfix 1/72 DH4.

284602731.jpg

Part of my recent Vinces mega box purchase. Looks a sweet little model too. I don't imagine progress will be rapid unitl after Telford, but you never know! I also have an Eduard Fokker Eindekker in the queue if I finish this one fast enough.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Ooh, that's a lovely kit, one of Airfix's nicest looking WWI kits, along with the Pup. I've had the DH4 in the loft since they issued that boxing, nearly 20 years ago. One of these days I might actually build it, but hey, why change the habit of a lifetime!

Can I join in please? :)

I have this lovely Airfix 1/72 DH4.

284602731.jpg

Part of my recent Vinces mega box purchase. Looks a sweet little model too. I don't imagine progress will be rapid unitl after Telford, but you never know! I also have an Eduard Fokker Eindekker in the queue if I finish this one fast enough.

Jen.

No you can't - we have enough with old buckle head showing off without you getting

in on the act - go push a Herc somewhere far away.

David.

PS :tease: x

Anyway you have started it - the box has been opened!

Edited by miduppergunner

• 3 weeks later...

It was already like that grumpy! :P

As if I'd push a Herc anywhere, pfft :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway, grumpy old men aside, I started on these two tonight. Here's a box shot of the EIII

288280413.jpg

Progress so far has been painting the interiors of both in a pretty linen colour. I put the base colours on the Airfix pilots, and built the base of the Eduard cockpit interior. I also sprayed some of the etch bits ready for fitting. I'll pop some pics on later when Ive done a bit more.

Jen.

Is this the road to madness?

288583317.jpg

The Eindekker is small. I know I used my special huge Humbrol tinlet for scale, but this model is really not very big.

The cockpit is nicely dressed up by the etch fret which all fits beautifully. The floor bit was a bit awkward because of the multitude of bends required. The rest was awkward because it will bend if you so much as look at it harshly!

It's all in now though and I've glued the fuselage together and left it in clamps to dry.

Jen.

Here's the latest progress on these two. The builds are sort of drifting along and getting done while I'm not looking it seems.

The DH4 is now semi complete building wise, I probably won't add that much more before paint anyway.

288895629.jpg

A helpful friend pointed out last night that the interior ought to be a different colour since it was made of wood and metal at the front, not fabric :doh:

I might be able to slap a coat of brown in through the cockpit openings though, if not I will argue that the forces paint everything in magnolia, so why should this be any different?

The little Fokker is coming along nicely, with no colour fubars since Eduard bother to tell you what colour to paint things in.

288895636.jpg

Of note is the absurdly fragile tailplane joining bit! Again, I don't think I will be adding much more before I paint it. I'm not sure about the big overhang along where the front decking fits, it seems like it's meant to be like that....?

Jen.

Both look good so far Jen.

Did the DH4 go together without much persuasion, or was there any fit issues?

Love seeing the Airfix stand being put to good use again, ain't come across one of those in years!

The DH 4 goes together a treat. It isn't as good as the Eduard Fokker, but by Airfix standards it's brilliant!

I've been toiling away. I have done a bit more on the Fokker but not worthy of a report yet.

The DH on the other hand is coming along nicely. I got it all painted over the weekend. I didn't have a clue what colour it was supposed to be :shrug:

Airfix recommended H29 but I didn't like the sound of that. I found an ancient tin of Humbrol Authentic colour 'RFC Green' so I slapped some of that on. The front half is Dark Sea Grey.

289385903.jpg

The decals performed very well given their age. They were a bit thick and looked like they were'nt going to play, but after they'd dried overnight they have settled down beautifully.

Tonight I have been making the top wing.

I added all the struts, then painted the whole thing with sail colour. Once that was done I picked out the strut bodies in brown, and then added the rigging.

The idea is to plug the whole lot in as a unit. It's certainly a lot less fiddly than trying to do it with the wing on!

289385904.jpg

I test fitted it before I put any rigging in and it looked like it will work. I also deliberately pulled the thread only just taut, so there isn't too much tension on it which will help when I push and shove all the strut ends into place.

Jen.

That antique tin of green did a lovely job Jen, has a nicely faded and weathered look to it.

Am I correct in thinking you're using Lycra thread for the rigging? Getting close to that stage myself and like the look you're achieving.

That antique tin of green did a lovely job Jen, has a nicely faded and weathered look to it.

Am I correct in thinking you're using Lycra thread for the rigging? Getting close to that stage myself and like the look you're achieving.

It's Aeroclub rigging thread, which I believe is lycra. The paint looks good, it's very dark but at the same time manages to have that brownish look to it.

Jen.

It's Aeroclub rigging thread, which I believe is lycra. The paint looks good, it's very dark but at the same time manages to have that brownish look to it.

Jen.

Cheers Jen, looks like I've found another good reason to get an order off to Aeroclub.

Well, you need a Christmas present to yourself, don't you ;)

Well Col, the thread is only about £3, and as far as I'm aware, that isn't expensive enough to be called a present :D

Ok, my DH4 is finished :thumbsup:

I added the small parts earlier this evening and that's it done.

289656936.jpg

289656944.jpg

289656946.jpg

I will get some proper pics for the gallery when some daylight conicides with me being at home!

It's been a nice build, not in the same league as the Eduard kit but surprisingly good in places. The machine guns are absolute little gems, it fits well and it looks the part finished. I'm pleased with it.

On to the Eindekker :hobbyhorse:

Jen.