Show us your 1/72 WW1 Revell Kits!

Stormed

to be honest this is what I mean,I used florist wire which is like iron girders,not idle but will just pass basic.I really want to learn how to do it properly.

P1020929.jpg

P1020933-1.jpg

P1020935.jpg

I am happy to buy a couple of kits to try out any technique,please,please,please help Rich.

Oh! OH!! I see myself starting another Camel build and using that colour scheme. (right now wheres my coffee cup ?? :hypnotised: )

@ cmatthewbacon...what scale is the sopwith...1/48??

@Steve...I´m interested in the Ray Rimmel article.. :thumbsup2:

Hi Paul,

Have scanned the Rimmel piece and will e mail it when you PM the address. The original is glossy paper so let me know if the scanned copy is OK.

Regards, Steve

to be honest this is what I mean,I used florist wire which is like iron girders,not idle but will just pass basic.I really want to learn how to do it properly.

I am happy to buy a couple of kits to try out any technique,please,please,please help Rich.

You only have to ask mate :winkgrin:

The builds look good...I´ll definately have to get the pic of my Fokker DV II up as soon as you know what is finished :winkgrin:

west1871,

If you google rigging ww1 aircraft there is a wealth of information on rigging. I use invisible thread from Aeroclub which I am told is the same as invisible sewing thread available from most haberdasheries.

Regards, Steve

DSCF2112.jpg

Been banished while the womenfolk wrap presents. Perfect. Here's a couple of Revellers from quite a few years back. The Dr1 is the old version and the colour scheme of my own invention while the DV1 was my first conversion comprising a lengthened rear fuselage and shortened DV11 wings. The lozenge is a more recent addition.

Paul. E mail to follow shortly.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice..I like the drybrushing :thumbsup:

Thanks! My first ever model was a Revell SE5a back in about 1974! I built this for nostalgia a couple of years ago.

Don't really know much about weathering WW1 stuff (or in general really). I'm about to order a WW SE5a, so what is the accepted method of weathering? Preshading where the ribs are...or what? Is there any special way of realistically painting a fabric finish?

Cheers.

Your plane looks as if it has been drybrushed, the raised ribs areas are of a lighter colour but that may be due to the photo. Drybrushing is one method of achieving a weathered look. I tried once to paint a fabric look by stippling the surface with a drymix on a stiff brush but it looked well daft....I think in this scale it would be very hard to achieve. On figures I would use highlighting and drybrushing..but the advantage is that there are folds in the clothing...not on the wings of a plane. I´m not sure if it´s achievable...anyone else.?

Edited by Paul RH

Your plane looks as if it has been drybrushed, the raised ribs areas are of a lighter colour but that may be due to the photo. Drybrushing is one method of achieving a weathered look. I tried once to paint a fabric look by stippling the surface with a drymix on a stiff brush but it looked well daft....I think in this scale it would be very hard to achieve. On figures I would use highlighting and drybrushing..but the advantage is that there are folds in the clothing...not on the wings of a plane. I´m not sure if it´s achievable...anyone else.?

Yep, drybrushed with mid grey to highlight the ribs. Maybe it should have been dark grey, or brown? I dunno!

Yep, drybrushed with mid grey to highlight the ribs. Maybe it should have been dark grey, or brown? I dunno!

No..it looks fine as it is. If you had of used darker grey or brown you would have reversed the highlighting...it looks really good as it is :thumbsup:

I've built 20 WWI biplanes in 1/48th scale (and a few 1/32's) to date, and 1/48th is fiddly enough!

Hats off to you guys - the detail and finish on your 1/72 models are superb! At 63 years old I still have very steady hands, but the eysight is not as good as it was!

The only 1/72 kit I have in my stash is the Gotha - but only because I would not have space to display the 1/32nd Wingnuts model (when it appears).

Edited by hendrik

You have the Gotha?....this one is on my list of planes to build.

As for eyesight..mine is pretty crap now...reading is getting ever more of a problem but for model stuff i compenste by getting ever more powerfull magnifying lenses...oh and better lighting. :hypnotised:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only just found this thread - I only ever look in RFI for finished kits.

I've done the Sopwith Tripe (seen here with the Airfix Brisfit)...

IMG_0001-2-2.jpg

IMG_0005-2.jpg

... the Fokker DVII

IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

...and the Camel...

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

...and I'm working on the DH2 (fully rigged). I have to say that I am finding the rigging work to be the most absorbing, relaxing and enjoyable passtime yet discovered. I've been using fine monofil fishing line and it's great to work with

Haven't got many left now - these seem to be the only two I have kept.

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

These markings come from a series of small books that came out circa 1968. 'The Pocket Encyclopaedia of World Aircraft in Colour' by Kenneth Munson (Blandford Press).

I loved this series at the time, particularly the 1914-1919 fighters and bombers books. There were many colourful aircraft in their pages I wanted to model but no kits at that time, let alone decal sheets.

I remember hand-painting the lozenge top and bottom. I got the pattern from a series of articles in Airfix Magazine by (I can't remember who). They were excellent as I recall, and the only detail on lozenge available I think. The colour mixes were given as well. I traced the section of lozenge from the magazine and then repeated it across the wing with carbon paper. Took ages as I recall. Only the crosses and letter 'A' are decals. It says "believed to be an aircraft of Jasta 17 ca. 1918". Does anyone know if this is correct and would there be a photo somewhere?

And are these colours correct, especially the yellow under the bottom wing? That's what was in the book!

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

I may have got this scheme from the Airfix articles, can't remember. Again the lettering is hand-painted (it shows!). I notice that I even 'laminated' the propeller. I didn't get the 'streakiness' on the fabric though.

How much we have come on since those days! Who would attempt painting lozenge now - and in 1/72 scale?

By the way, the base is a black plastic tray turned upside down that salad cress was sold in at the supermarkets. I cut a piece of flock paper to fit the rim.

An interesting thread and thanks for introducing it.

deecee

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

A quick look at the Spad A4 thread will show how close the Amodel kit can drive a grown man to distraction. To prevent the onset of total madness I rebuilt a couple of old stagers which had resided at the back of my cabinet in air crash mode for many years, namely the Revell Nieuport 17 and an Airfix Spad V11. Between them I think they saved a certain project from a terminal dive to destruction on several occasions. Still got the original instructions for the N17 and the date is 1963. Must have bought it in 68 or 69. Hard to believe but it is the only Nieuport I have ever built. Original markings were French and colours were Olive Green/ Light Brown uppers and cream unders with silver engine. Stripped paint off with Modelstrip and removed the old glue. At some stage I had repaired it with Uhu which had turned to a toffee colour. Going through a Russian phase at the moment so the N17 got a new paint job and Blue Rider decals.

Cheers, Steve

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

Managed to straighten the upper wing but the stabs are still crooked. Been attached too long for me to risk separating them. New cabane struts and invisible rigging and that was it. A neat and enjoyable project. Anyone know why Revell don't seem to have re-issued it ?

Edited by stevehed