Next Tamiya Spitfire - Mk XVIe

Matt Roberts

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10132083

10132083.jpg

I am wondering - wasn't this variant powered by a Packard built Merlin? Are there any noticible differances between the RR and the Packard built engines?

Thanks to 1999.co.jp for posting this today

If they have paid attention then externally the filler access cover on the top of the upper cowl should have moved forward about a scale foot or two, the intercooler header setup is different on the Packard Merlin as well. I've seen a lot of debate about the exact cowl shape and how it was altered to accommodate the Packard Merlin. Its hard to tell from that small image but the upper cowl does look a little fuller.

Of course if they've done thier homework properly, a bit of cross-kitting (and suitably deep pockets) will result in a late IXe or a hi-back XVI as well! I'm in for one and I still have to get my Mk.VIII yet!

There has been a rumor floating around at ARC that Tamiya wont be doing any more WWII subjects. Guess that rumor is a fail.

I have a question. One rumour floating around like a Baby Ruth bar at a swimming pool is that there is a new 32nd kit from Tamiya next year. Now is this a 'new kit' or a revised one? Does new kit mean a new subject or differant boxing?

Considering the rumour is that it'll be a Mustang, it is a question as to if this new Mk XVIe is a 'new kit' that may be The subject of the rumor or if it may be the.....

I have a question. One rumour floating around like a Baby Ruth bar at a swimming pool is that there is a new 32nd kit from Tamiya next year. Now is this a 'new kit' or a revised one? Does new kit mean a new subject or differant boxing?

Considering the rumour is that it'll be a Mustang, it is a question as to if this new Mk XVIe is a 'new kit' that may be The subject of the rumor or if it may be the.....

Personally I think the Mustang is wishful thinking, I don't doubt someone will do a decent job of one soon in 1/32nd but trying to second-guess Tamiya is like herding cats!

I reckon this version of the Spit counts as a new kit, if its done right they will have added a new fuselage, engine mouldings, cowl panels and the gun panels, the only major parts left from the VIII/IX kits will be the upper and lower wings. tail group and the gear and cockpit.