* RWD-14 Czapla...

Killingholme

Hi all

I sha'n't be making any progress on this for a while due to a house move, but I'm definitely 'in'.

This is the MIKRO kit of the 1/72 RWD-14 'Czapla' (or Heron in English). It has been released by a few companies, and I believe is currently available for around £3 from ZTS/Plastyk. Quite a bargain!

The airrcaft was an army-cooperation plane designed to replace the Lublin XIII and serve as an interim type until the LWS-3 could enter service (the latter never did make it in to operational use) The Lublin aircraft factory (LWS acronym in Polish) actually built 65 production aircaft in return for their funding given to the DWL (the Polish equivalent of the Royal Aircaft Establishment I think?) when developing the prototypes. This means that the aircraft is also commonly referred to as the 'LWS Czapla' instead of RWD-14. (RWD being the name of the DWL design team which developed new types) Complicated stuff- but shouldn't affect the model at all. This is the same aircaft either way.

The long gestation period of the RWD-14 (first flight in 1935) ensured it was quite obsolete when introduced to operations in Spring 1939. Nethertheless, those that weren't destroyed on the ground or otherwise unservicablewere used for their design task of army liaison during Blitzkreig.

(inexplicably, 30, half the production, were in reserve in September 1939, so I assume they were in pieces, as only four were made active before capitulation!!),

http://historialotnictwa.pl.tl/RWD_14--g-Czapla-g-.htm (Polish)

The Kit:

'Not awful' is my assessment. fabric texture a little over-done, but should be ok when sanded smooth. lower component of the wing will be a BIG trouble area- the fit leaves a 2mm wide trench all around it, but more worringly, the moulded wing ribs don't align, so the who thing is going to have to be re-worked.

DSC02631.jpg

DSC02632.jpg

DSC02634.jpg

I will be using the PART photoetch.

The PART photoetch certainly supports their reputation for impossibly fine detail- there is a full etched cockpit including pretty much all of the controls. This is the larger fret of two: the second of which has various cockpit parts so small I cannot read the part numbers! At least on a model with such an exposed cockpit, this sort of detail should all be seen! The external detail will be very helpful- replacing almost all of the kit's moulded 'extrusions', and basically starting from scratch on a completely smoothed-over fuselage. As an example- there are parts for the undercarriage mounting struts, which are then completely covered over with an etched cover plate! MAD!

DSC02641.jpg

I am tossing up whether to replace the engine (MORS II, which I think is a licence built Mercury Mars.) - but I might paint up the kit one first to get an idea of how much can be seen behind the PART etched engine cover.

Anyway- the purpose of putting this up now, a good month before I will get building, is to invite members to comment, offer advice or research suggestions. I have never built a Polish machine before so I am not au fait with the subject matter!

Na razie!

Will

Edited by Killingholme

This is one of the great things about early war.There's still stuff that I

haven't heard of before and so kits I wasn't aware of.

Great choice, I've never heard of a........whatever it is and I am certainly looking

forward to the day you start modelling.

Good luck with this and the house move Will.

Deacon

Right, I was upstairs 'packing boxes for the house move' today and...

FIT ISSUES!

location pins are knocking things out of alignment, so off they come!

DSC02642.jpg

Which side do I believe?!

DSC02643.jpg

Sink marks ahoy!

DSC02644.jpg

Some fun coming up on the wings. Note the ribs out of alignment on the centre section. Pondering how best to replace them.

DSC02645.jpg

Finally, I am very annoyed that the mould part line on the cowling runs right across the cylinder head 'bumps', and has consequently knocked them all out of alignment. Might have to shave them off and start again using blobs of white glue. I did that before on an old PM model Fokker D.XXI, but it is not an easy task to do neatly. grrr....

DSC02647.jpg

anyway- putting this one back in the box now...

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

I'm impressed by your determination. I built this model in the eighties and I remember that it was a nightmare. I keep my fingers crossed. Don't give up!

So am I! There's a packing note included inside the box dated 1/3/88....!

I'm fairly sure I'll make a bit of a bodge of this. It's my first model since returning to the hobby that will require more than a little 'tickling' to get it all together.

Cheers for the kind words.

Will

Ok,

so I've done a bit on the model now. Started with the wing, which obviously needed a lot of filling! This is all new for me, so I obliterated quite a bit of detail when I sanded the join back. Hopefully, the worst area around the central wing fuel tank will be hidden by the cabane struts and fuselage. If I'm going to need a dentists mirror to see it- I don't care!

Lower wing: Started adding the PART etched parts. The aileron actuators (are they?) are added from fine vinyl tape- the only thing I could find in the materials stash fine enough. No idea what the rest is supposed to represent.

DSC02671.jpg

Upper wing:

etched filler cap. some sort of vents? added from vinyl tape. Rescribed panel lines- the transverse one obviously needs some attention. The problem is it passes through an area where the finished surface is made up of filler. I attempted to harden up the edges with superglue, but I think I may have to fill and re-scribe it.

DSC02673.jpg

Sorry it's a bit of a mess- but I still think it would be cool addition to the Blitzkreig theme. Next job the cockpit etch... which is sort of exciting!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making progress, just nothing that photographs very well. As I mentioned above, the PART etched sheet includes a fully etched cockpit, which so far has had over 120 parts glued in to the various sub assemblies. These are the first pictures. The delicate etched framing doesn't look as wonky as that in real life! Apologies for the blobby soldering= the superglue just wasn't loving the joint between the cockpit sides and floor- why this wasnt designed as a 'fold up' I dont know!

pilot's seat- 10 parts already and needs a few more before I add belts (another four parts...)

DSC02695.jpg

Basic cockpit framing. Looks simple, but I think there's about 30 parts in there somehow!

DSC02683.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

Should have the fuselage buttoned up by the end of this coming week.

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

Will, all I can say mate, is that you need help! Some major councelling is required ;)

Seriously, this build is going above and beyond the call of duty mate. Well done so far. :clap2:

Deacon

Cheers, but I'm not terribly happy with the results. I am frustrated by the etched parts because whilst this is my first attempt at filling a model aicraft with etched stuff, I am quite familiar with the medium through my interest in 2mm scale model railways (1:152 scale). Most railway manufacturers spend a lot of time thinking through fold lines, location tabs, etc and I am used to building a fully-etched 2mm scale wagon or carriage in an afternoon. However, this PART etch is designed in such a way that everything fixes together only where it touches (lots of unreinforced 90 degree butt joints), and something I would have expected to fold up from one piece of brass requires four seperate sides. Very frustrating!

Well, that's my excuse!

Will

• Like 1

Keep up the good work!

Had the same issues when I built one when new (1980(ish)) - I think the cowl was just as bad then.

Early kits were a rather vivid light blue if I recall correctly...

Anyhoo - good luck - I shall be watching this!

Iain

Cockpit nearly done... light dusting of silver, awaiting the small details to be picked out. I can immediately say that I think I may have bent things a bit. Hopefully everything can be squared back up when fixed in place.

DSC02776.jpg

But then DISASTER- it doesn't fit in the fuselage...!

DSC02778.jpg

DSC02781.jpg

However, looking at some 'master modeller' builds (mainly on Polish forums), it appears that this ISN'T my mistake, and the fuselage of the kit is a little slimmer then it should be; the Czapla certainly does have a pronounced 'fishbelly' to it, and the kit doesn't quite capture it. I presume this is an example of PART assuming that the modeller will want a correct width fuselage in which to fit their correct width P/E? I don't fully understand what others have written (in Polish), but I would wager PART have been faithful to scale rather than making a mistake against the kit parts! I intially sanded the kit sides wafer thin- as thin as I dared go, which did make the instrument panels sit very comfortably, but as in most builds of this model I have seen have added width to the fuselage, so I will do this too.

(scale thickness fuselage skin?! lol)

DSC02786.jpg

This really just isn't fair....! :huh:

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

DESTROYED ON THE GROUND....

Sorry, but coupled with the bad wing fit, the huge fuselage gap is way beyond my skills to fix to a good standard. Weeks of trying, including the narrowing of the 'PART' etched cockpit to make it fit the kit fuselage sides means that even the seats won't fit! I give up. Plenty of nice etched bits for the spares box though...

Will

• 2 years later...