Franco-British Carrier

Don H.

It now sems possible that both countries will be jointly operating two carriers, and if that is so it seems reasonable that a fixed wing component could be mandatory. If that is the case, and since catapults are to be on these vessels, wouldn't it make sense that the Rafaiel M be used on both carriers? Along with the E-2 and Merlin, I would think.

(And now to inserting the modeling component...) If so, who makes the best kit of the Rafaiel M in 72nd scale?

Don H.

It now sems possible that both countries will be jointly operating two carriers, and if that is so it seems reasonable that a fixed wing component could be mandatory. If that is the case, and since catapults are to be on these vessels, wouldn't it make sense that the Rafaiel M be used on both carriers? Along with the E-2 and Merlin, I would think.

(And now to inserting the modeling component...) If so, who makes the best kit of the Rafaiel M in 72nd scale?

Don H.

No,I've said it once & I'll say it again...The British will never buy the Rafale.It aint gonna happen endex! The is too much that has gone on between the UK & French defence industry to let that happen.Exocet for example.

IIRC,the UK tried to block French sales of the missiles to Argentina during Op Corporate.

Too bad they cannot name or rename the carrier after one of the ships of the line captured from the French and used during the age of sail like HMS Tonnant or HMS Sans Pareil

Or when a British commanding officer is on board - HMS Implacable, when a French commander is aboard, Duguay-Trouin

IIRC,the UK tried to block French sales of the missiles to Argentina during Op Corporate.

In fact the French assisted us by leading the Argentinian purchasing commission a merry dance with no intension of letting them have any sort of munitions or spares, certainly not any Exocets. The only nations that gave overt support to the Argentinians were South Africa and Israel, both supplying spares for the Mirage.

What you need is names that work in both languages, like 'Formidable' - actually wasn't one of the early HMS Formidables a captured French prize?

Yep.....an 80 gun ship of the line, captured during the Seven Years War (1756-63)

Yep.....an 80 gun ship of the line, captured during the Seven Years War (1756-63)

And don't forget Temeraire, famous from Turners painting (also the name of a fighting dragon from the Napoleonic wars.... but that's another story - by Naomi Novik as it happens and a cracking read...........)

Then there was HMS Imperieuse and a string of others

For the reasosn stated by Dave I think the Rafale is a no no.

Now could we co-operate with the french for an aircraft to replace Rafale? now thats a different issue.

Myself I welcome the comments today.

Julien

No,I've said it once & I'll say it again...The British will never buy the Rafale.

The FAA could lease them instead:) Logistically, I'm having a hard time seeing how two navies can timeshare a warship - from such mundane details to what to call it - HMS or not to will they take turns if there is a national emergency that does not directly affect the other part? Say if the Argentinians invaded the Falkland Islands again, and the Royal Navy had just handed over the keys to the French Navy... Will be interesting to see how this will paly out.

Jens

Royal Navy; " Is it our turn to use the carrier this week?"

French Navy; "Non"

Lets face it our country is REALLY in the sh*t financially and I think H.M. Govt is hoping and praying nobody wants to start a war/invade etc in the next 10 years or until we are out of the financial mire :D

no no no

Mike,

it's La éléphant blanc :evil_laugh:

No no no no no no, non

"L'éléphant", as the definite article preceeds a vowel, however if L'Eléphant a proper noun, as in a ship's nom, then there would be no accent on the capital "e".

Eyethanyow! :smartass:

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Royal Navy; " Is it our turn to use the carrier this week?"

French Navy; "Non"

Lets face it our country is REALLY in the sh*t financially and I think H.M. Govt is hoping and praying nobody wants to start a war/invade etc in the next 10 years or until we are out of the financial mire :D

might make the yeovilton air days a bit more interesting though! Id love to see a hawkeye!

In support of the French, I believe that, at the time of the Falklands, a French detatchment of Etandards, fitted with Exocet, flew into an operational RAF base and asked the question 'What do you want to know about this weapon?'

Don't wanna work with the Frenchies.

They don't like us we don't like them.

I think we should work with our big Ally :)

Racist crap.

Stick to modelling

Edited by Van