Weserflug Bf.163 (1/72 Dujin resin)

CliffB

Any chance I could join with this please? Just one prototype produced - an (unsuccessful) competitor to the Storch.

Easy to paint - RLM02 inside and out!

P1070090.jpg

Thanks

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

A little more info on the Bf.163.

The project was started by Messerschmitt (hence the Bf. designation), but due to other priorities was given over to Weserflug for completion. The finished prototype offered a very similar performance to the Storch, but at the cost of significant extra mechanical complexity due its variable-incidence wing. The Bf.163 project was therefore abandoned in favour of the Storch and the rest, as they say, is history. Interestingly, the 163 reference number was one of only a few to be subsequently re-allocated to another Lutwaffe aircraft design (the Me.163 Komet).

The Dujin resin kit of the Bf.163 dates from the late 1990's and can fairly be described as 'high quality, old school'. The parts are crisply moulded, with fine engraved surface detail and only a few small air bubbles. Where the kit does show its age is in the treatment of the cockpit which is represented by a crudely shaped, under-sized opening. The resulting fuselage walls are way to thick which, due to their prominence, will require thinning. Only two seats and instrument panels are provided as interior detail and no instructions are given as to how they should be configured (any help here would be much appreciated!). The final concern is the vac-formed canopy which is truely dire due to heavy creasing. Four canopies are provided, but as they are all as bad as each other this doesn't help much! All in all though, I'm looking forward to an interesting build, particularly the mounting of that wing onto its precarious struts. :frantic:

Cliff

P1070093.jpgP1070091.jpg

A bit of progress over the weekend, mainly reaming out the interior with a mini-drill (still some final sanding to do), and sticking together the major components ready for priming. The undercarriage legs seem surprisingly strong, so I'll be leaving the bracing struts until after painting is finished.

Not a kit you can rush, but I'm already enjoying the 'grasshopper' looks.

Cliff

P1070095.jpgP1070096.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An update on where I am now.

Notwithstanding what I said above, I actually decided to fit the struts before painting. Dujin provide all the difficult bits, but leave the builder to provide anything that can be made from plastic or brass rod.

Here's the result.

P1070123.jpgP1070124.jpgP1070126.jpg

The Argus nose looks very familiar, but the exclusive mounting of the undercarriage onto the fuselage (the moveable wing preventing any bracing to a higher point), gives the plane a wierd look.

I've got a few more resin components to clean up and then it will be time to start painting. :)

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update as the decaling is now complete. No decals with the kit, so everything has come from my spares box (mainly Propagteam WWII Luftwaffe codes).

Just needs some pin washes, a matt coat and final assembly to complete.

P1070144.jpg

Cliff