Hasegawa 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki-46-III Kai Interceptor Version

Nick Millman

This re-issue is available at Hannants for a whopping £24.99. The same kit is still showing on back order at HLJ (from its previous release) for ¥2,000 (about £15.47).

The current price represents an increase of 61% where the actual ¥ vs £ trend has been downward since a spike on Sep 10 and before that since Aug 2.

The Hamamatsu Ki-67 re-issue is £41.99. These prices for re-issued (not new tool) kits appear ridiculous and do not seem to reflect either the production status of the kit or the increasing £ strength against the ¥.

Edited by Nick Millman

The current price represents an increase of 61% where the actual ¥ vs £ trend has been downward since a spike on Sep 10 and before that since Aug 2.

The pound is still 15% weaker against the Yen than it was 12 months ago.

All the crazier when you think that I picked up Hase's recon version from Sprue Bros this week for a mere £7...

I don't buy full RRP Hase stuff anymore, but still some nice buys to be spotted out there.

In mid 2007 the pound was worth over 240 yen; now its worth a little over 120. That's half and would justify a doubling of price! If Hasegawa have only raised their prices by 60%, they are doing well.

Don't forget that the Ki-46-III was last released in the UK about seven years ago, so there's also general inflation to add into the price rise.

Yes, they are expensive, but I wouldn't say that significant profiteering was responsible. Blame the economic policies of the previous Government.