Orion III: Pan Am Space Clipper

I have the very old Airfix kit, picked up at a boot sale for a couple of quid with all the issues involved, I have addressed the nose angle and altered the cockpit window and even thought about cutting the cabin window sections out completely and scracthing new inserts? Clearly not worth resolving at all, as the Moebius redention, looks a very nice kit indeedy?

Best use my bargin as a lighting test rig and give Mr Cultman a call?

Have you thought of converting the spare kit to a cargo version as seen here?

Hi marty!

Thanks for the vote of confidence - allbeit several months ago.

Enjoying the correspondance and the photographs which keep popping up.

Just for reference - the studio drawings of which I had copies all those years ago - differed greatly from the model which was produced. Harry Lange's original drawings which he shared with me had a much more angular feel to them - the modelmakers did a cracking job as I'd say the finished article looks much sleeker than would have been had they slavishly followed the original plans and concepts. Of all the plans produced, the plan view had most in common with the actual miniature.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Simon Atkinson.

Crikey, praise indeed from Mr. Atkinson.

For the uninitiated Simon Atkinson provided the drawings for Piers Bizony mighty tome on 2001: A Space Odyessy "Filming the future" which is currently the definative book on the movie . My observations were just drawn from my fairly limited reseach material, I'm pleased that my conclusions were proved to be not far off the mark. Particulary given the some of the comments that cast aspirtions on them further up the thread with respect to the Airfix kit.

I would say the Moiebus model with it it's lack of panel line engraving is not far off being the real deal as far as accuracy is concerned - it's not perfect by any means but it is not far off the mark and it's good to see very nicely built models starting to emerge. It will be a while before I get around to mine which will be lit and have an interior. I 'm determined to get my Spindrift and and LiS and Forbidden Planet robots and figures and Moonbus finished before I start.

Marty...

Have you thought of converting the spare kit to a cargo version as seen here?

Thanks Gordon,

Love that idea very much indeed , but with my current skills, I fear you all may point and laugh, throw rotten fruit in my general direction and quite rightly so.

I did purchase a couple of TSDS decal sheets, so I'm very tempted to do a AA type bright metal air force one, or a TWA version with no worries about acuarcy.

• 1 month later...
I note Just an Illusion have produced a resin interior for Orion amongst other things. I still prefer the Paragrafix one myself, but given what little is seen this may well be an easier furrow to plough.

http://www.needfulthings.net/jai/catalog/p...products_id=108

Marty...

Unless it comes with a sleeping Heywood Floyd and the stewardess, I'll pass.

BTW in this scale what size would his floating pen be? :)

Unless it comes with a sleeping Heywood Floyd and the stewardess, I'll pass.
The Paragrafix etch does.

Marty...

Well, I was kidding but I should have known that somebody would have done it!

On a slightly more arcane point, has anyone else noticed that the President's 'Colonial One' in the update of Battlestar Galactica seems to have an interior main cabin based on the passenger cabin from Kubrick's 2001...?....

I noticed that myself and I am pretty sure that is what they were going for. The cockpit on the otherhand was obviously a modified NASA space shuttle orbiter set piece as the console layout was spot on (down to the digital computer keypad).

The Airfix Orion itself I don't think is a bad kit. Maybe it is a little stubbier than the Aurora kit, but build it up properly it can look good. In 2002, I did a builtup of it for the CultTVman SF movie modeling book and I cut back the intake at an angle and back filled the hump with Milliput and ground it down to get a more accurate profile. Here was my result:

orionlift1.jpg

The Eagle underneath is a bit of a joke. I was proposing an idea for how you get an Orion airborne without the need for a booster rocket. ;)

As for alternative Orion schemes, I have fancied doing one in JMC Air colors (actually, JMC space). Why? Because it is kind of "my" airline (at least with the initials). I also fancy doing a Braniff Jellybean fleet Orion as well, but perhaps with a different body color than orange (I fancy a green one perhaps as I've always liked Braniff's green shades).

Edited by JMChladek

I got this kit a few weeks back. Profile's pretty good but I'm not very impressed by the level of detail.

The maker of the kit has quite rightly replicated the original filming minature which was largely smooth. The vast majority of the panel line were drawn on with pencil, fixed and airbrushed on the filming prop. Despite what people may think the decals provided with the kit work extremely wells. Being smooth opens up a full range of options: recreate the original filming miniature by drawing on the detail, using the decals provided or if one wished scribe the panel lines. Sorry, I firmly believe it was an extremely good call, and it makes a canon to the movie replica easy to achieve.

I know there has been some criticism of the profile in some quarters. I accept it's not absolutely perfect, but it checks out wells against my references. I'm lead to believe the developers of the kit had access to MGM AD drawings, the finished miniature did deviate from those drawings (as confirmed by Simon Atkinson further up the thread) and perhaps that is were some differences crept it, but in reality they are modest. Whilst the Aurora kit is nice and generally accurate (it should be noted the panel lines on it are largely errornous, however, some correction was carried out for the 1975 re-release) it should not be used as the draw down to zero reference. The less said about the Airfix kit the better.

I hope that helps.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

The maker of the kit has quite rightly replicated the original filming minature which was largely smooth. The vast majority of the panel line were drawn on with pencil, fixed and airbrushed on the filming prop. Despite what people may think the decals provided with the kit work extremely wells. Being smooth opens up a full range of options: recreate the original filming miniature by drawing on the detail, using the decals provided or if one wished scribe the panel lines. Sorry, I firmly believe it was an extremely good call, and it makes a canon to the movie replica easy to achieve.

I know there has been some criticism of the profile in some quarters. I accept it's not absolutely perfect, but it checks out wells against my references. I'm lead to believe the developers of the kit had access to MGM AD drawings, the finished miniature did deviate from those drawings (as confirmed by Simon Atkinson further up the thread) and perhaps that is were some differences crept it, but in reality they are modest. Whilst the Aurora kit is nice and generally accurate (it should be noted the panel lines on it are largely errornous, however, some correction was carried out for the 1975 re-release) it should not be used as the draw down to zero reference. The less said about the Airfix kit the better.

I hope that helps.

Marty...

I know but I'd rather the panel lines were done like what you'd see on a Tamiya or Hasegawa kit (fine engravings). It just looks too bare for a supposed new state of the art kit and the decals just don't look very good to me.

If you look at the film miniature there's a lot of panel lines and I don't fancy trying to scribe all them. I haven't got the time for a start.

Here's one finished with the decal (I hasten to add it's not my work). I would have toned the decal down a bit more - but, hey each to their own. That said it's still impressive in my opinion.

http://www.we-play-games.com/blog/?attachment_id=226

http://www.we-play-games.com/blog/?attachment_id=220

http://www.we-play-games.com/blog/?attachment_id=221

Marty...

We never did receive one of these to review, which is a real shame, as I'm getting seriously tempted by the pictures of those built ups. :) and :(

Some of my pics are up on page 5 here. I used the decals and although a little thick, I liked the look.

My only real issue with the decals and they are limited in what they cover. Do a good job on the wings but hardly any for the fuselage. I think if they wanted to go that route, a few more would have been nice.

Otherwise, other then the fit issue I had with the wings, I really liked the kit and would do another.

They were drawn on not scribed.

Marty...

I know they were drawn on the original miniature but I'd rather fine scribed lines. Like on a Tamiya kit. Those lines were drawn on the miniature to look like real panel lines on screen. That's what I would prefer.

I know they were drawn on the original miniature but I'd rather fine scribed lines. Like on a Tamiya kit. Those lines were drawn on the miniature to look like real panel lines on screen. That's what I would prefer.

I prefer the canon to the filming miniature approach and glad that designers (which I think Adam Johnson had a big hand in) had the same true to the filming miniature philosphy.

I know from eMail correspondence with Adam he is a stickler for accuraccy, but some concessions to the IM proccess had to be made.

Going off topic his currently out of production 1/48 Aries 1B is a work of art.

Marty...