Orion III: Pan Am Space Clipper

I prefer the canon to the filming miniature approach and glad that designers (which I think Adam Johnson had a big hand in) had the same true to the filming miniature philosphy.

I know from eMail correspondence with Adam he is a stickler for accuraccy, but some concessions to the IM proccess had to be made.

Going off topic his currently out of production 1/48 Aries 1B is a work of art.

Marty...

I suppose it's a personal choice. i prefer the"what it's supposed to be on screen approach" with the realism aspect. I've seen a few filming miniatures and they're very rough when you look at them in detail.

I suppose it's a personal choice. i prefer the"what it's supposed to be on screen approach" with the realism aspect.

I guess it is personal choice and every model we make is our personal rendition of the prototype anyway. But, to me it's a bit like building the latest Airfix Spitfire and painting it grey and saying that that it's more how it looks at 500m at 16000ft. Hey! if everyone is having fun that's the important bit

I've seen a few filming miniatures and they're very rough when you look at them in detail.

True, take a look at the IA LotGs Spindrift below - even taking the ageing process into account it's a bit rough around the edges.

http://www.iann.net/giants/spindrift/miniature/

However, that was not the case with the 2001 miniatures - Kubrick was meticulous and took a personal interest in the models and they were built and finished to an extremely high standard.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk