Orion III: Pan Am Space Clipper

Slated for release first quarter 2011.

Based on the Aurora kit, which in turn was a 1/3 sized kit of the filming miniature, based on rescaling the original MGM Art departments drawings. The kit is not a straight re-issue of the Aurora kit - 3D scans of various images of the filming miniature have been taken and overlaid onto the Aurora kit. Which has resulted in a more accurate profile, principly the engine and the wing details have been reworked and the over scale panel line engraving removed and replaced with a smooth finish - aztec style decals will be included to more accurately reflect the filming miniatures panel lines and finish. It is unknown at this point in time if the Pan-Am "meatball" decals will be included. There will be no interior detail included and the faux "atomic engines" that were part of the Aurora original will not be included.

It is further being slated as the most accurate Orion kit produced to date, it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Stargazer kit which was more than a credible effort.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

I'm very happy about this 'un. ^_^ I had the Airfix effort as a kid, but I didn't know (or care) it was all wrong, and hadn't even seen the film back then... I'll see if we can grab one for review ASAP if not sooner :)

RRP is $29.99 in the States rapid prototyping model here. http://culttvman.com/main/?p=14093

Preliminary box art here (along with the Viper MkVII). http://culttvman.com/main/?p=14159

Paul Harrison

I'm probably more excited about this kit than any other recent announcements. 2001 is one of my favourite films, and it's about time there were some 'new' kits. Hopefully they'll get round to doing the Discovery at some point.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

I'm probably more excited about this kit than any other recent announcements. 2001 is one of my favourite films, and it's about time there were some 'new' kits. Hopefully they'll get round to doing the Discovery at some point.

Mobieus have said Orion III is pretty much 'it' with respect to producing any more 2001 kits. Even though their Orion will be substantially remastered, it is still based on the Aurora kit which in turn is fundamentally accurate. This lessens their work and upfront investment on the kit. Other than add the non-conformal glazing, the Moon Bus is a straight re-issue/back engineer of the Aurora kit.

They have already stated that producing an injection styrene Discovery kit is too expensive and they believe the various resin kits cover off most of the demand anyway.

Marty...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I want is an injection plastic Discovery. It's not too much to ask, is it?

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi

All I want is an injection plastic Discovery. It's not too much to ask, is it? Obi-Jiff :fish:

As far as Mobieus are concerned, I'm afraid so. They seem to have ruled out making a Discovery outright.

They have alluded, "never say, never" about the production of other 2001 kits. but have also said quite clearly they don't anticipate producing any more, once Orion is out.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Right, looks like I'm going to have to win the Euromillions and commission one. Is a three-foot version big enough for most folks?

Seriously, I can't understand why Discovery was not the first subject kitted from this film. It's the main ship, and the most impressive, and the one on which most of the action (or inaction) takes place. Instead, we got two kits of the Orion, and one of the moon bus, which (although nice), was not really on screen for any great length of time. Puzzling, ain't it?

Seriously, I can't understand why Discovery was not the first subject kitted from this film. It's the main ship, and the most impressive, and the one on which most of the action (or inaction) takes place. Instead, we got two kits of the Orion, and one of the moon bus, which (although nice), was not really on screen for any great length of time. Puzzling, ain't it? Obi-Jiff :fish:

A lot of things at play here.

It's almost certain that Aurora were presold the Orion and Moon Bus license. It is also known that Kubrick made some last minute cuts to the movie, taking out over 20mins from the running time. Nearly all the cuts came from middle part of the film (the space station/Aries/Clavius and moon segment). Therefore originally both Orion and Moon Bus had more screen time.

Don't forget the films popularity was very much based on a slow burn - it was considered a commercial flop upon original release and it's kudos and cannon built up over subsequent theatrical outings. Therefore it's probably fair to assume that the kits sold slowly as well and that may have put pay to any subsequent kits?

To make Discovery as a decent sized kit it would have needed to be a least a couple of feet long (Aurora liked, good sized models) and it is surprisingly complicated, so taking the forgoing and the size and complicated nature of a Discovery kit, I guess they passed on it.

The Airfix Orion kit is long believed, not to be an officially sanctioned kit - if I remember correctly both the original issue and subsequent re-issues do not mention the name of the film, per-se, but rather use generic terms like "from a motion picture".

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

And guess what I had delivered the other day?

An Airfix Orion!

A kit I've wanted for years but only recently discovered it's errors.

Ah well, time for some corrections (I got plans from starship .com)

And I'm building it for a mate who is grateful for almost anything

along those lines. So, win win really!

All the best

Pete

RRP is $29.99 in the States rapid prototyping model here. http://culttvman.com/main/?p=14093

Preliminary box art here (along with the Viper MkVII). http://culttvman.com/main/?p=14159

Paul Harrison

I see Mat Irvine managed to get a mention in the second page.

Which reminds me that there is a display of his models and TV props at the Hamex show on the 28th.

www.hamex.co.uk, there is a video & photos of last years show, so you can see the sort of thing that will be on display.

hi all i see i the link at the top of the page here that there looks to be the battlestar galatica has the kit been released ????

No, it's a June/July 2011 release.

When Moebius announce kits, development work is normally at an advanced stage and they are pretty good at hitting dates. For the record it's US price is $29.95.

Is your keyboard missing the shift key?

Marty...

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered mine from Forbidden Planet (forbiddenplanet.co.uk). Currently up at £26.99, + £2.50 p&p. Due end of March 2011, according to them, but FP's release dates are often, shall we say, optimistic?

We'll be getting most, if not all of the latest Moebius releases for review, so keep your eyes out. Personally, I'm quite excited by the BSG and Batman stuff - In case you've not seen the Tumbler and the wickle motorbike kits yet, you need to go look. They look reet :Tasty:

I can't get excited about new-BSG or modern Batman, but 2001? Best SF movie ever (Star Wars is really fantasy, not SF, so it doesn't count!). Obi-Jiff

Me too.

2001 is not only the best sci-f movie made, it's arguably one the best films ever made in the history of cinema. It is most definitely worth tripping over to the Pictureville in Bradford, on the occasions they wheel out the 70mm Cinerama print the and show it on the curved screen. MGM did an incredible job on the Blu-ray remaster, certainly the best BD transfer I have seen. But, the Cinerama print is simply mind-blowing.

David Larson's book on the movie, is slated to be something to behold - Piers Bizony book (Filming the Future) was very good indeed, but Larson's is amazingly said to be better. Bizony's book is worth getting for the modelling perspective, for the third angle drawing of Orion and Aries 1B and the shots of the models and the behind the scenes material.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Me too.

2001 is not only the best sci-f movie made, it's probably one the top films ever made in the history of cinema. It is most definitely worth tripping over to the Pictureville in Bradford, on the occasions they wheel out the 70mm Cinerama print the and show it on the curved screen. MGM did an incredible job on the Blu-ray remaster, certainly the best BD transfer I have seen. But, the Cinerama print is simply mind-blowing.

I couldn't afford the trip to Bradford last time they showed it, but one day...

David Larson's book on the movie, is slated to be something to behold - Piers Bizony book (Filming the Future) was very good indeed, but Larson's is amazingly said to be better. Bizony's book is worth getting for the modelling perspective, for the third angle drawing of Orion and Aries 1B and the shots of the models and the behind the scenes material.

Marty...

I was looking at Piers Bizony's book the other night, and daydreaming of the new Orion kit - only a few months to wait.