Beginner needs help with gloss

Dan_Aus

Hi there,

I'm obviously a new member to this forum and also a beginner with modelling. I was just wondering if anybody could assist me with the following questions: (I had browsed the web and this forum extensively and have not found the answer)

For Tamiya plastic 1/24 model

1. How long do you have to wait for paint to dry before you can apply gloss?

2. How long do you have to wait until the gloss settles until you can apply decals?

3. Would a little more than a mist coat of gloss be enough?

Thanks for any help guys. Much appreciated!

Enamels

1. How long do you have to wait for paint to dry before you can apply gloss? 48hrs

2. How long do you have to wait until the gloss settles until you can apply decals? 48hrs

Maybe less.. but to be safe 48hrs

Acrylics

1. How long do you have to wait for paint to dry before you can apply gloss? a few hrs

2. How long do you have to wait until the gloss settles until you can apply decals? 24 hrs since some decals solutions may react with gloss coat

Enamels

1. How long do you have to wait for paint to dry before you can apply gloss? 48hrs

2. How long do you have to wait until the gloss settles until you can apply decals? 48hrs

Maybe less.. but to be safe 48hrs

Acrylics

1. How long do you have to wait for paint to dry before you can apply gloss? a few hrs

2. How long do you have to wait until the gloss settles until you can apply decals? 24 hrs since some decals solutions may react with gloss coat

legend! Thanks for the help mate

Yep :welcome: Dan - you have your answers already, but with Acrylics I'd go so far as saying you can pretty much gloss over them almost immediately :)

I look forward to seeing some of your builds in due course :)

Thanks mate, hoping to learn alot from everyone. Loving models, glad to have found a new hobby

You won't go far wrong asking this lot for advice. They're a helpful bunch most of the time ;)

Sorry to sound so much like a beginner, but when you refer to acrylics, you're referring to acrylic paint and not so much "acrylic material"? Just to be sure, is this the kind of paint a flat white Mr. Color spray would fall under? This would mean i would be able to gloss today given that i sprayed the paint yesterday morning?

Acrylic paints, yes. Not sure about Mr Color though, as I've never used them :shrug:

Don't worry about sounding like a "n00b" here. You'll not get any stick for not knowing about stuff :)

May tell you on the back of the can what it is made of....... with acrylic it is best to appy a primer coat first to get it to stick, I use a grey car primer as it is acrylic based.... enamels tend to not need one, drying time will tend to give you a hint is it is acrylic, as enamels are slower.

Edited by TonyT