16 Squadron Buccaneer S2 B

TEZ

Splendid work :goodjob:

A question, isn't the cockpit normally entered from the port side :confused: not saying the ladders are in the wrong position, just trying to satisfy my own curiosity and lack of knowledge :blush:

Wow! Really nice one!!!

Is the Flightpath set worth the money? I have one or two of their detail sets but didn't use them till today as the amount of etched parts are scarring me. Bought the sets with the corresponding kit on ebay.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I must admit that the sets appear at first to be a little daunting. This in my opinion is not helped firstly,by the price and secondly, by the instructions provided. If you don't have an understanding of your subject, as well as plenty of references you could struggle. Having said that the sets are very comprehensive. However, I did have to use the Eduard internal set in conjunction with the Flightpath set because the latter lacked a number of cockpit items. I also used a lot of plastic card throughout the cockpit. The Fightpath etched parts are thicker than for example the Eduard examples but this didn't present too many problems. I must admit that I didn't use the set's individual vortex generators and instead I used a scalpel to thin down those on the kit's wing. The resin parts were very good, but due to the subject I was making I still have a number of items left over. Overall I wouldn't consider making another Buccaneer without the Flightpath set. The project was a long one and as such I feel that I got the most out of this set.

Andrew

A question, isn't the cockpit normally entered from the port side :confused: not saying the ladders are in the wrong position, just trying to satisfy my own curiosity and lack of knowledge :blush:

Hi Ratch,

Although the standard position for the access ladders was on the right side (as displayed), the ladders could be positioned on the other side. My monitor isn't very clear, but you may be able to see some surface detail in the port area of the nose roundel - This is where the ladders were latched onto.

Andrew

Hi Ratch,

Although the standard position for the access ladders was on the right side (as displayed), the ladders could be positioned on the other side. My monitor isn't very clear, but you may be able to see some surface detail in the port area of the nose roundel - This is where the ladders were latched onto.

Andrew

Thanks for clearing that up :winkgrin:

While it is true that the ladders could go on either side and I have even seen pictures with a ladder on both sides at the same time, they were most often put on the starboard side as seen here becuase the nose folded back to port. Even while with the RAF, the noses were folded back when parked in the hanger.

Edited by wadeocu

• 2 months later...

Your build is astonishingly good. How on earth did you paint the cockpit canopy accurately? Was it painted on the inside? Please explain as this is one area I really need to know more about. I struggled with mine. I am going to purchase another couple of these kits, they really do look fantastic in the hands of a talented builder. I shall aspire!

Your build is astonishingly good. How on earth did you paint the cockpit canopy accurately? Was it painted on the inside? Please explain as this is one area I really need to know more about. I struggled with mine. I am going to purchase another couple of these kits, they really do look fantastic in the hands of a talented builder. I shall aspire!

The (out side of the) canopy frame was simply masked off with Tamiya tape and sprayed in the relevant grey and green colours. The frame was again masked off in order to spray the canopy arch and sealant strips. The MDC i.e. the curvy lines in the top of the canopy were painted using enamel paint. I firstly brushed on a couple coats of Klear (interior and exterior) to protect the canopy and then I painted the MDC from the inside. This isn't as hard as it looks because this detail is slightly raised. Just take your time. Any mistakes can be corrected with the tip of a brush lightly loaded with turps etc. The internal frame was painted Dark Sea grey.

Andrew

The (out side of the) canopy frame was simply masked off with Tamiya tape and sprayed in the relevant grey and green colours. The frame was again masked off in order to spray the canopy arch and sealant strips. The MDC i.e. the curvy lines in the top of the canopy were painted using enamel paint. I firstly brushed on a couple coats of Klear (interior and exterior) to protect the canopy and then I painted the MDC from the inside. This isn't as hard as it looks because this detail is slightly raised. Just take your time. Any mistakes can be corrected with the tip of a brush lightly loaded with turps etc. The internal frame was painted Dark Sea grey.

Andrew

Hi id like to congratulate you on a great build too..im in the middle of building one...one question i have in the early pics of the model youve assembled the fueslage halves.. wings..etc..but you havent fitted the intake inserts or the exhaust pipes..normally you would fit these before joining the fueslage halves..how did you do fit these in afterwards???? the only way id imagine would be thru the bottom before adding the bomb bay door later..

Leslie

Hi id like to congratulate you on a great build too..im in the middle of building one...one question i have in the early pics of the model youve assembled the fueslage halves.. wings..etc..but you havent fitted the intake inserts or the exhaust pipes..normally you would fit these before joining the fueslage halves..how did you do fit these in afterwards???? the only way id imagine would be thru the bottom before adding the bomb bay door later..

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

I had always planned on fitting intake guards and therefore I didn't use the inserts. The kit jet pipes were replaced with brass tubing in order to get over the 'seam problem'. This obviously affected the c of g of the kit and I filled the intake areas with milliput and ball bearings. The jet pipes were simply pushed into position at quite a late stage of the build.

Andrew

Very nice job. Ive said that I am not a fan of the Buccie, it's looks are all wrong to these eyes. But your work goes a long way to converting me (same thing happened after I looked at the Victor for awhile).

I have a foto showing the bottom end of a Buccie with the speed brakes opened wide. Can we see a pic of your rear end... er, the models speed brakes, opened?

Stunning, love the vortex weathering....

Any more pics?

hope you dont mind but if youve got dirty vortex generators then the exhaust staining would be much dirtier and i suspect the paint would have lightened a few shades as well .it still looks :gobsmacked: though

ps. not even a quarter of the way through my build,will post some piccys when i get to paint :deadhorse: when i grow up i want to build models just like u :hobbyhorse:

Hi Chris,

This is the 1/48 Airfix kit and although it was a struggle at times I feel it was worth it. I used the Flightpath and Eduard etched set's, as well as the Paragon resin seats / flaps. The cockpit requires a lot of plastic card and access to as many reference photos of the cockpit. The decals were sourced from the kit; Check Six, Modeldecal, Airdoc and for the nose cheveron, custom made. The choice of aircraft was a difficult one. I had originally planned to depict a 'spiker' configured aircraft and although I managed to track down a photo of a 16 sqdn ac carrying a Pave Spike this was, at the end of the day, not a typical load. Besides, although I had originally fitted a central Martel scope (which was also used for sighting the Pave Spike), the rear seat wouldn't fit in the cockpit. I therefore removed it and with its removal dictated my choice of ac. However, this was not as simple as it seems. Early ac had a reinforced honeycombed section on the airbrake (as included in the external Airwaves etched set) and seeing as mine didn't, this restricted my choice of a late 16 sqdn ac. I will post a few more photos tomorrow.

Andrew

me again,ref your ill fitting martel screen,the rear seat had the side walls angled out slightly to allow the nav some leg room when the screen was fitted ,thats why they are marked front and back,still navs in buccs needed pins like supermodels(not the plastic type :bouncy: ) bye the way anyone got any pics of said screen ,all remaining buccs appear to have had them removed ,much appreciated :pray:

ps. have photos of the cockpit of xv361 (ex langford lodge n.i) and airframe if anyone needs them :yikes:

Edited by buccy mad

Outstanding build.

God how I would love to see one of these in 1 32 along with the Jaguar! :analintruder:

The more I see them the more Im leaning towards finishing all my builds with a base and badging of some kind, really sets the model off nicely.