Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker DR/1 Build

nick

Cracking work on this beast, Nick. I have it in the attic and will, one day, get around to it and I'll certainly be using some of your ideas when that time comes!

Are you going to cover or partially cover, the wings/fuselage? I remember someone suggesting the use of silk for a covering material, stained with tea for a convincing linen colour, something I'd like to try myself........ One potential issue with that might be that the shrinking force of the fabric when doped might be too much for the underlying structure - so if you were going to try it I'd suggest a trial run on something first!

Presumably the wing trailing edges will be done with wire, rather than the awful wood bits in the kit?

I assume that you have seen Achim Engel's repros on this site:

http://www.worldwar1aeroplanesinc.org/foru...hread.php?t=314

The man is a genius!

Edited by Rowan Broadbent

Are you going to cover or partially cover, the wings/fuselage? I remember someone suggesting the use of silk for a covering material, stained with tea for a convincing linen colour, something I'd like to try myself........ One potential issue with that might be that the shrinking force of the fabric when doped might be too much for the underlying structure - so if you were going to try it I'd suggest a trial run on something first!

Not planning on any covering, although I will be sheeting the leading edges and top deck as per the original

Presumably the wing trailing edges will be done with wire, rather than the awful wood bits in the kit?

Yes, I am wiring the trailing edges. Leaving all the metal off at this stage so I can colour/laquer the woodwork first

Nick

Latest update, all the wings are built now and joined into three pairs, including scratch building my missing lower wing box. I have done about 50% of the wing rib capping and have five wingtips to scratch build which are extremely time consuming. Wire Wheels are winging their way from Arizona Models - if anyone else is stupid enough to buy these, be aware that the diameters quoted are the the outside edge of the tyre (or tire as our cousins would have it) NOT the rim as you might expect.

Everything is clamped up and drying so I will post some pictures tomorrow, should be ready for a first full mock of all the major structures together by then!

Might even get it finished for xmas (maybe with the kit wheels at least) watch this space.

I have now officially decided that I don't like this kit. It's expensive, sketchy on detail and not very accurate. I have compromised with the wings as the ply the ribs are cut from is far too thick to be scale, to replace this would mean a load of work and expense getting very thin ply laser cut and would also mean throwing away 2/3rds of the kit. As already stated the wing boxes aren't good either. Ultimately, this is going to be hanging high in the ceiling so I feel I can get away with these faults, not ideal though.

If you are in the market for something like this (So called 'museum quality') I would suggest Model airways at the cheaper end of the market and I am considering MQ for my next venture which look very good indeed. If anyone has any experience of these I would be interested.

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick

humongously impressive......can I give you one small piece of advice tho...?

cancel everything else in your life and do nothing at all except finish it....

I'm inspired so want to see the pics of it hanging from the ceiling...

Gez!!!!

Thats one awesome bit of work. (i'm giving up!, where's my jigsaw puzzle.)

Dave (very stunned!)

Wow! Look's like a model shop in your garage! You have to finish the Victory though! (It is the Victory isn't it?)

Anyway, looking forward to the finished aircraft. Perfect place to put it. Maybe diving in to strafe anyone coming up the stairs.

Learnt to sew today. Ripped out the rubbish ply panel behind the seat and made a 'canvas' one complete with 'leather' re-inforcing panel. A right pain to be honest. Anyway, think it looks better

5255835076_627080e7bc_o.jpg

5255835780_91165d0e19_o.jpg

5255223815_c706ffb4a5_o.jpg

By the way, anyone know about seat belts for this aircraft? some of the sources I have, somewhat unbelievably claim none were fitted? I have modern references but nothing from the period - anyone know?

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

Going to have a go at scratch building a fuel/oil tank now form copper sheet as per the original. There is also a second ali spent shell case in front ot the ammo box I have found. This will need to be scratch built also. Still chugging away at capping wing ribs, which is very dull and time consuming.

Nick

Here's some pictures of a full size tank and ammo bin that I'm going to replicate:

5262463763_3cb42e6a16_o.jpg

5262464521_4522bc6752_o.jpg

5263077982_d7e4fa1857_o.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

Finished scratch building the fuel tank from copper and brass. quite pleased with it to be honest, hadn't tried panel beating before. I cut the end cheek shape out of MDF and used it to form the two end panels, I was going to solder it, but a. I didn't have enough gas and b. I though it may well warp.

5271713984_107e638c5b_o.jpg

5271720848_e0e4bcb38e_o.jpg

Also bloody Broadband has died on me so trying to do this with a 2G USB dongle connection - really painful.

Anyway quite a bit done today, found out the 'dowels' in the gear wing should be ali tube, so replaced those. replaced the very odd paper-backed veneer rubbish in the kit to make the curved ply side panels. I will use the same ply to build a full length rear deck as the kit item is too short. Also the ammo feed arangement on the spandaus is completely made up so I am currently re-engineering that too

5271115055_6d65181bee_o.jpg

5271729840_53c0bc07d4_o.jpg

Starting to get a bit concerned about weight now as well - this thing weights a ton. There is some thin steel cable provided in the kit, I'm seriously thinking of putting a marine ply panel in the loft across the joists to hold this thing up. This isn't the biggest model I've built, but it's probably the heaviest - it's certainly got no chance of getting off the deck.

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick

Got most of the cockpit finished including fuel tank, ammo0 bin, instruments, wiring and plumbing. also rigged the rudder pedals. Getting close to finishing maybe?

5275611754_ca02047db1_o.jpg

5275009031_3bc739e001_o.jpg

5275622512_cb59ac0094_o.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 1

Should have got the timber I was waiting for to finish the wings tonight. Need to find the right finish for the wood. The manual suggests Tamiya clear orange - seeing as it's been wrong about everything else, I might try experimenting with some coloured wood varnishes I think

Nick

Finished four out of six wing tips today. Caping done on top and middle wings, just the lower one to complete now - On the home straight. Doesn't look like I'm going to get my wire wheels before xmas now )-:

Nick

I have now officially decided that I don't like this kit. Nick

dont know about the accuracy part but it looks awesome to me