Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker DR/1 Build

nick

I haven't been around for a while because I've been moving into my new house. Which although only 3 years old, needed a few essentials doing to it, like multi room Sonos audio, Gigabit network cabling, office fit-out, Home Cinema room fit-out, and new double garage modelling workshop building. So been a bit busy. Now all that's done, my attention has turned to my new landing (as it does, I knew you were all thinking that) If ever a space was crying out to be filled by a 1/8th scale Hasegawa Fokker DR-I hanging from the ceiling (that I just happen to have in the stash) this is it.

5118095262_6c1d3a3b94_o.jpg5117494061_e6789bd9e6_o.jpg

See what I mean? I've been quite firm with other half, who normally has an embargo on models in the 'public areas' of the house. And we're on

Here's a rubbish photo of the finished article. I am really going to town on this and have started super detailing the Le Rhone engine. I'll post some piccies later. This is a suitable inaguration for my new workshop if ever there was one.

So I'm claiming to be the first person to 'have to build a model because my new house made me'

Watch this space (-:

Nick

FK3.jpg

Edited by nick

And what does the wife have to say??? :analintruder::thumbsdown::fight:

Dick :clown:

You wake up in the middle of the night to find the top of the stairs full of aircraft......teach you to leave the landing light on

Loking forward to seeing pics as you go along

I read somewhere that there was something wrong with the model - small thing and not too problematic to change. I can't recall but I think it was to do with rigging eyes or something - I know I have the tech terms all wrong !! I am sure that someone will remember what it is/was !

John

First off here's the new workshop, and stash all moved safe and sound.

5117980059_804ee85131_o.jpg

5117981481_0f9696223f_o.jpg

Here's a general view of the progress with the engine. I have already spent God knows how long filing the fins where the cylinders join along their length to get them seamless. I haven't done any shading yet but I am quite pleased with the texture of the cylinders.

5117973135_930df4395e_o.jpg

This is a big lad, them's inches

5118580798_4211ee8c36_o.jpg

The rocker assembly is crude at this scale and has to go:

I started out by drilling fine holes in ali sheet,

5118579226_720929254b.jpg

which I then punched, this has the side effect of nicely dishing the disk, making a perfect valve spring seat. The springs are wound from 020 and 010 lead wire

5117978241_94ba133714.jpg

Pushrod guides were moulded on, chunky and rubbish so they went too. made some new ali sheet ones which are more like scale

5118576964_0a732d8616.jpg

Here's a quick shot of it all combined

5117974599_5e07a0c2a4.jpg

5118575520_e4499c6c95.jpg

Like I said, a big lad

5118580426_27f46d6ace.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

Which although only 3 years old, needed a few essentials doing to it, like multi room Sonos audio, Gigabit network cabling, office fit-out, Home Cinema room fit-out, and new double garage modelling workshop building.

Cor, bloody hell, don't all new houses come with that built in eh, etc etc.

Thought you had done a runner, but I guess moving house is excuse enough.LOL

How is the Wellington diorama coming alon Nick, or have I missed it somwhere along the line?

Chris.

Hi Chris, I'm still around.

The Wellington has officially stalled, I have dutifully carted it to the new house and will finish it one day, may even interleave it with the triplane as I'm sure I will get extremely bored with whittling ribs for three and half sets of wings very shortly.

Nick

Hi Chris, I'm still around.

The Wellington has officially stalled, I have dutifully carted it to the new house and will finish it one day, may even interleave it with the triplane as I'm sure I will get extremely bored with whittling ribs for three and half sets of wings very shortly.

Nick

Go for it Nick.

Don't leave us in suspenders!!!!!!!!!

Chris.

I don't think there are enough plug sockets on your workbench. :innocent:

You can't have too many in my experience, as I went to the trouble of running in a ring main I didn't mess about. :P

Let the whitlling commence. Unhappy with the nasty plastic prop in the kit so decided to scratch build a proper one. Got hold of some 2.5mm Walnut and birch and a very faint drawing from the net

5123973367_918837d1a5.jpg

Made some patterns and just finished roughing out with the bandsaw. Should look OK when glued and shaped I think

5123967793_be6db9b383_b.jpg

5124572918_e010f86e36_b.jpg

Still needs some tidying up but not a bad nights work. Off to bed now

In case you are wondering the prop is 32cm long

Here's the real one

5123983627_3fee766081.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

Hi Nick.

You may find it easier to cut all of the blanks to a constant size and shape and then laminate them.

By drawing the front view and side view on the laminated block it is easy enough then to carve and sand.

This will give you the correct contour lines if the laminations. I used to hand carve props for R/C scale models and found this to be the easiest method.

Chris.

Hi Nick , one fault i can remember aout this kit is , the plywod on the top decking is too short . on all Dr 1's it goes all the way back to the tail plane . in a similar way to the fuselage side panels .

I haven't been around for a while because I've been moving into my new house. Which although only 3 years old, needed a few essentials doing to it, like multi room Sonos audio, Gigabit network cabling, office fit-out, Home Cinema room fit-out, and new double garage modelling workshop building. .....

And I here I thought the economy was all knackered!

Hi Nick.

You may find it easier to cut all of the blanks to a constant size and shape and then laminate them.

By drawing the front view and side view on the laminated block it is easy enough then to carve and sand.

This will give you the correct contour lines if the laminations. I used to hand carve props for R/C scale models and found this to be the easiest method.

Chris.

You may be right I am basing this on a full size build where it was done like this:-

5125315042_032efb3a4b.jpg5125314828_0f2c33676e.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick

You may be right I am basing this on a full size build where it was done like this:-

5125315042_032efb3a4b.jpg5125314828_0f2c33676e.jpg

Nick

I see what you mean Nick. I did try your method once, but found that there was very little margin for error when carving the prop profiles.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Cheers for now.

Chris.

One of the things I like about internet modelling is that there ia always something to strive for, to challenge my own skills and to push my imagination and your build is no exception. That said, getting the missus to agree to fitting one to the wall on the landing is probably more remote than my modelling skills getting as good as yours :wacko:

never seen one of these big kits built, looking forward to seeing this come together.

in the stash photos is that the big heller hms victory on the top? like to build one of those some day if i could ever stomach the rigging

When it was still open the base Museum at RNZAF Ohakea had one of these on display in the cafeteria and it looked great. The DR.1 was the only one of that series I ever considered building (if cost were no object!), so looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.