Large scale Light aircraft

richellis

Hi,

Im looking for a low wing single engine light aircraft, pref in 1/32 scale. What is about????

My daughter loves the CBBC show "come outside" and wants a model of "Aunty Mable and Pippins" plane.

Not fussed about it being the correct model, just a looks similar so she can have it hanging from her ceiling!

Not my area!

Ta

Rich

What you're looking for there is a Slingsby Firefly (my Goddaughter is a Pippin fan too) and all I can find after research is a Dujin 1/72 resin kit or a 1/24 ready build wooden desk model (for $149!) neither of which I suspect will fill your needs. Modern light aircraft don't seem to be well catered for in the modelling world, unfortunately.

At the risk of thread hijacking, if anyone else has any idea where to find a kit of an Evektor EV-97 Eurostar, (which looks VERY similar) I'd be interested too...

Cheers,

Dean

Off top of my head - only GA stuff I can recall in 1:32 (and 1:36) are as follows:

Revell:

Piper Super Cub

Dornier Do 27

DH Tiger moth

Monogram:

Piper Tri Pacer

ITC/Staggerwings:

Beech Staggerwing

Airshow Models (now defunct):

Pitts - various S2 models

Christen Eagle

Extra 300

Marui (1:36 - more details):

Cessna 172

Fuji FA200 Aero Subaru

rarebi5.jpg

Piper Cherokee 140

rarebi56.jpg

There was also a guy in the US who used to sell very basic vacs on Ebay - IIRC one was a Luscombe?

I'll rack my brains as there may be more...

Since I gained my pilots licence I've become a lot more interested in GA stuff and have been tempted to think about doing some vac masters in 1:32 for stuff like the Cessna 152/172, Piper Warrior, Austers, other DH aircraft, Pitts, Extra 300, Vans series etc..

Nobody seems to have really touched them (Airshow Models excepted - but now defunct).

Is there a market?

Iain

One was bought part built off here and missing bits, the other is complete minus the engine. ( electric) the actual one is there. but they are high wing jobbies, they go for over £100 plus these days.

This is one I have

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal6...Mustafa/00.shtm

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/nic...nic_c-172.shtml

This is the one I mentioned, again rare

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/civil/poifa200preview.htm

Hmmm...

Pondering on how much work would be needed to make a 152 from a 172 - is it all different, or could it be 'cut and shut'?

I first solo'd in C152 G-BVTM and a model of her would be ace :)

1202032M.jpg

Iain

Hi Iain. I was under the impression that whilst visually similar, the 172 is actually quite different from the 152. From Wikipedia:

152: Wingspan 10.2m, length 7.3m

172: Wingspan 11.0m, length 8.28m

PS/ I'll take one on your 1:24/1:32 152 vacs though!! :winkgrin:

Edited by Kirk

If it's to hang from a ceiling and scale fidelity need not be of the very highest I would suggest you forget about plastic and go with something like this:

http://www.guillow.com/GuillowDetail.asp?U...&FamilyId=1

They tend to be available in a lot of UK model shops and of course can be found on the usual auction sites.

• 1 month later...

Or there again, you always scratch build a Firefly. Being plastic, neither the wings nor the fuselage have much detail and the U/C is pretty simple. The only difficult bit would be the canopy unless someone showed you how... Any takers?

PM

I seem to recall a 1/24 Beaver on floats. Originally produced as a promo for (I think) a Canadian Whisky producer called Canadian Mist. Transparencies were solid black transfers. Only ever saw it advertised in the mk.1 Scale Aircraft Modelling.

Probably a collector's item now?

Trevor