1/144th Vickers VC10 Skybolt Poffler

Just been reading about the VC10 in James Hamilton-Paterson's book "Empire of the Clouds" (bought on a recommendation at Britmodeller) and I have to say this project reeks of pure modelling and invokes the spirit of that book.

No big-scale, bells and whistles giant Christmas model, "I've got a bigger kit than you" one upmanship; no pre or post production shading with thinned soot; no crazy paving panel lines; no artistic techniques ad nauseum and sod the correct colours. Just an appropriate to scale, beautifully made and cleanly finished model that tells its story honestly and tells it well.

Superb. But why oh why aren't there articles on modelling like this in the magazines any more? Just "reviews" (I use the word loosely), adverts, ego-trips and big scale "soot jobs". Here we have fine scale modelling, conversion, nostalgia and history plus a great bit of "what if" conjecture. Seriously impressive.

Amen. Beautifully put, sir!

Well, that sneaked in under the radar (at 40k feet??!!) as I missed it completely! (but then nothing needs to be particularly stealthy to get past me these days! :rolleyes: )

Cracking build again Andy (although I'm no fan of decal flightdeck windows!! :P ) - lovely conversion work & a great paintjob!

You have to love these project cancelled thingies! Looking forward to seeing the Trident!

See you at Telford!

Keef

Thanks chaps,

Keef me old mucka...wondered where you were...absent on parade again eh :deadhorse:

I agree about the windows btw but the Airfix things are just awful, the shape is awkward and they were all buried under a mountain of Milliput!

Plenty more Project Cancelled stuff in the pipeline..............got a few weird British jet fighter types lined up that might well interest you.. :wicked:

We'll chat about all this and more at the show.

I shudder to thing about the interference drag penalty that comes from toting those 4 skybolts around at what i guess would be around Mach .78-80. It's gonna need a lot of thrust and an engine with a good SFC.

I wonder if the VC-10 could have been saved with a more efficient engine.....

Don't get me started about a Trident serving as a launch platform. I'm only gonna buy into that one if i can light off the Skybolts during take off to improve the takeoff performance :suicide:

Another smashing build as usual, General. I'm still of the mind that a 72nd scale VC-10 from Airfix is wishful thinking, but no doubt it would look splendid in original BOAC or Air Kuwait colours.

-d-

I wonder if the VC-10 could have been saved with a more efficient engine.....

Sadly, I think they had that thought 20 years too late - other than the one off RB211 testbed. Had they had it whilst it was still in production, then maybe it would have been a more realistic proposition.

Thanks guys,

Vickers ...you never know..there may be life in the old dog yet!!..yep the RB211 would have been a great option had it been available at the time and would have changed the career path of the series greatly.....not to mention its appearance!

Dave, the idea was to take off light, refuel and haul the Skybolts up to altitude, perform the pre designated 'race course' circuits as stand off, being refuelled again as required (twice by VC tankers in a 16 hour mission), launch and fly back Hell for leather, (to what exactly is not mentioned!!)......a special high speed fuel dump system was to be designed to speed up the process if things hotted up quick time...

As for engines the Bristol BS.81 was considered for use at the time, basically an 'aft fan' olympus which could have been developed up to 36,000 lbs thrust.... better specific fuel consumption than the Conway which was coming to the end of its development potential.

I'm still of the mind that a 72nd scale VC-10 from Airfix is wishful thinking, but no doubt it would look splendid in original BOAC or Air Kuwait colours.

Sadly I'm thinking along the same lines!,....must admit I always liked the BOAC/Cunard and later Gulf Air schemes myself :D

Dave, the idea was to take off light, refuel and haul the Skybolts up to altitude, perform the pre designated 'race course' circuits as stand off, being refuelled again as required (twice by VC tankers in a 16 hour mission), launch and fly back Hell for leather, (to what exactly is not mentioned!!)......a special high speed fuel dump system was to be designed to speed up the process if things hotted up quick time...

Indeed, the high speed dump was designed to allow the aircraft, which of course would be loitering with a fuel load varying from "quite a lot" to "not very much", to get down to a weight which meant it could climb immediately to 40,000ft for the missile launch. With the VC10's standard emergency dump to get from a max weight to even max landing weight (just over 105t, mk dependant) takes over 20 minutes! In the case of a launch command, I don't think that could be an allowable luxury...

...a somewhat quicker system was needed! :analintruder:

Very true, all a bit of a balancing act really. It wouldn't be so bad having to dump fuel at altitude but at lower level over land might have presented problems for residents and farmers in the effected areas!...mind you if Armegheddon is about to be unleashed I suppose a few soiled washing lines and cows is the last thing you'll be worrying about!! :jump_fire: The other factor was fuel transfer rates for tanker aircraft which particularly in the case of the Valiant would have to be increased quite dramatically, hence the need for increased capability VC10 tankers....

Yes Siree..........yessum boss.................actually Woody it's technically an Avro 776, but what the Hell it sure looks like a Trident !!........................I'll stop talking now and just build the darned thing :winkgrin:

Lol !!!!If it looks like a Trident, it'll do me !!!

That's it General, I have had enough, all the kits and stuff have gone in the bin, how are we mere mortals supposed to improve when you keep raising the bar.

Well done General a briliant build and a stunning model, do you know if the book is still avaialble

Regards

Jim

When I first looked at this I didn't notice the extra wheels on the main gear. Looks really cool, did you modify the kit parts?

Tony :clif:

Edit

Just read your first post again. Doh!

Edited by avro683

Thanks again fellas, Jim yes the book is available though getting a little hard to come by, (notice Amazon have sold out), if you're coming to Telford then just pop along to the Project Cancelled/ Research & Development sig table where you can find myself, Joe Cherrie and Chris Gibson, (the author...if I can prize him away from the bar for ten minutes!!)....I'm sure we can sort something out!! :winkgrin:

Tony...it's all to do with the pleasures of bodily decline!......something I'm only too aware of.........................now where did I park the car............er hang on ................what car!! :banghead:

General,

If you give the 776 another engine you could call it the Quadrant.

Err, Where did I put my coat?

All the best

Pete

Now at home in Hemswell

P.S. Love that VC 10.

Keep 'em coming, you don't have time for Telford!

Truely Awesome work general, stunning quality and get project.

I have a pair of Skybolts in the stash too, unsure what the hell I'm going to use them for, but I will find something in time, I only hope it's as original as this

Nice one

Dave

Thanks Dave, a few ideas come to mind re the Skybolts, (they are the 1/144th ones I take it). Other than the Skybolt Viccy 10 they could also adorn a Vulcan, Victor (tight squeeze but was proposed!), and of course TSR2 or like I'm considering, the proposed Avro 776 , which for all intents and purposes was very similar to the Trident, though re engined with Medways along with a new wing and a little bigger.........choices, choices!

You've gone and done it now Andy, that's got to be just about the whackiest yet (apart from the Concorde of course!), great build, looks blooming mean. Just imagine if they had built it, and how long it would have lasted once the cold war began to thaw. Still nice to see some VC-10s still hanging on, even managed a flight in one.

Hope to catch up with your builds at Telford, pretty sure I know where I'll find you! :partytime:

Thanks Dave, a few ideas come to mind re the Skybolts, (they are the 1/144th ones I take it). Other than the Skybolt Viccy 10 they could also adorn a Vulcan, Victor (tight squeeze but was proposed!), and of course TSR2 or like I'm considering, the proposed Avro 776 , which for all intents and purposes was very similar to the Trident, though re engined with Medways along with a new wing and a little bigger.........choices, choices!

nope, there 1/72 ones for the Avro Vulcan. ;o)

Dave

Ok Dave in that case.....umm same thing applies, (except the 'Trident' of course).....are these Colins new resins or the old Sharkit ones?

Nick, cheers, you bagged a flight in one!...lucky bu**er, that would be high on my list of desirable rides!

I'll def see you at the show, as you say you know where to find me....................hanging out with the all the other oddballs!! :banghead: (if I'm not there I might well be with Spence on the MIS stand :cheers: ).

Andy..

Ok Dave in that case.....umm same thing applies, (except the 'Trident' of course).....are these Colins new resins or the old Sharkit ones?

Andy..

there the silver cloud ones and there awesome, ie it's the vulcan conversion set, my only problem is, I don't have a vulcan? (and I tend to build 1/48 mostly too) but I will find some use for them, I love the idea of over wing mounted ones on the TSR-2 as well.

Dave, with too many kits, bits, and to little time! ho hum