Challenger 1 Main Battle Tank

I enjoyed the Academy M3 Stuart Honey and wanted to do another tank, but fancied a bash at building something a bit more modern. The Tamiya Challenger 1 MBT caught my eye and so became my next project. It's a nice kit and builds up well without any major problems. The model is finished with Tamiya paints and weathered with Mig Pigments. The kit is built OOB except for a few scratchbuilt details.

Challenger1-6.jpg

Challenger1-2.jpg

Challenger1-5.jpg

Challenger1-3.jpg

Challenger1-1.jpg

Challenger1-4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Paul

Edited by Paul A H

Looks buff to me Paul ;)

Incidentally, what're the differences between the Chally 1 and 2? Someone once told me the 1 was just a re-jigged Chiefy, but that sounds like bollo, which given that person's track record is more than likely the case! :hmmm:

Thanks everyone :)

Looks buff to me Paul ;)

Incidentally, what're the differences between the Chally 1 and 2? Someone once told me the 1 was just a re-jigged Chiefy, but that sounds like bollo, which given that person's track record is more than likely the case! :hmmm:

As Deon said, the differences between the Challenger 1 and 2 are mainly around the turret and gun. The hull and running gear are the same in both versions. The Challenger 1 was developed from the Shir tank we were building for Iran(!) and the Shir was a development of the Chieftain, so there is a lineage there.

Looks buff to me Paul ;)

Hi Mike,

Paul has done a Chally 1

This is a Chally 2: (Not yet finished)

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Edited by Murdo

Nice examples there.

Paul... The staining around the exhausts looks superb, I tried that on my "80's" one, but it didn't really show upon the green.

Interesting what you say regarding the Desert colour, (assuming Humbrol 250?) as I've always thought that it looked a little dark too. I've not actually used it though to be fair.

I'd like to do a Tamiya Chall 2, in Desert, but the cost is a little too much to swallow this close to Xmas... Got 2 kids to keep happy. :D

Currently working on the "Dreaded" Emhar Mk.IV female. I've got a Cheiftan and a Centurion in boxes in the loft too, just need a Churchill and I'll have a line of British Tanks "Through the years"... That's the plan anyway.

Nice examples there.

Paul... The staining around the exhausts looks superb, I tried that on my "80's" one, but it didn't really show upon the green.

Interesting what you say regarding the Desert colour, (assuming Humbrol 250?) as I've always thought that it looked a little dark too. I've not actually used it though to be fair.

I'd like to do a Tamiya Chall 2, in Desert, but the cost is a little too much to swallow this close to Xmas... Got 2 kids to keep happy. :D

Currently working on the "Dreaded" Emhar Mk.IV female. I've got a Cheiftan and a Centurion in boxes in the loft too, just need a Churchill and I'll have a line of British Tanks "Through the years"... That's the plan anyway.

Thanks, the staining is just heavily thinned flat black. I tried to match the colours, weathering etc. to photos of the real thing. I use mainly Tamiya Acrylics so I just picked the best match. The Trumpy Challenger 2 is cheaper than the Tamiya. Don't know what it's like though. Interesting plan with the collection, I was thinking about a collection of modern MBTs - this, Trumpeter Ariete, Tamiya Leclerc and Leopard 2...

Interesting plan with the collection, I was thinking about a collection of modern MBTs - this, Trumpeter Ariete, Tamiya Leclerc and Leopard 2...

Collection, Yeah... The plan is to keep it to a "Sensible" representation, as it can quite easily snowball out of control.

That's without going into Crusader's, Conquerer's, Comet's, Matilda's etc...

There... I gone and done it now haven't I?

Gonna need a bigger shelf! :lol:

Currently working on the "Dreaded" Emhar Mk.IV female.

The Emhar 1/35 kits (Mk 4 and Whippet) really aren't all that bad and do build into quite a nice models OOB. Mike and a couple of others have posted Emhar Mk4 builds recently and I've just finished one so I'll be posting pics soon. There's been a few Whippet pics posted recently too.

Fabulous model, beautifully weathered. A small criticism though, and certainly not of the model - the union jack (or flag if you prefer) is upside down.

Dammit! I took a punt on which way was the right way up... and got it wrong!

Oops sorry Paul. Didn't mean to hijack your Chally post. :blush:

No worries! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The original Trumpeter Chally II kits while being less than half the price of the Tamiya version can be a real pain to build, particularly in the turret area. The latest one with bar armour is a different beast and a lot easier to build. I have 7 or 8 Trumpeter ones here plus 3 Tamiya ones. A lot depends on which version you want to build.

Pete

The original Trumpeter Chally II kits while being less than half the price of the Tamiya version can be a real pain to build, particularly in the turret area. Pete

Totally agree. The turret area is a bit of a 'mare. I really made a mess of mine that needed a lot of sprue dissolved in liquid glue to fix.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks buff to me Paul ;)

It also has a bigger BV...excellent news as the Chally 1 set was a real pain to refill etc, the gun laying (sighting) systems are new not upgraded, different aspiration on engine, and it's easier to gain track tension (chally 1 was a real bee-yatch for doin that job on) on the chally 2 for some unknown reason. Also more places to to stow extra rations such a s bread, yums yums and the obligatory Irish Cream...