DKM Scharnhorst

Shar2

I am now the proud owner of one of these beauties. The box states over 1300 plastic parts; the WEM set arrived in the post this morning, so that and the Trumpy AR 196's should result in a wonderful model. Then there's Graf Spee, Repulse, Revell Bismark and Tirpitz, and Airfix Illustrious..... Help!

Tony :clif:

• 2 weeks later...
I am now the proud owner of one of these beauties. The box states over 1300 plastic parts; the WEM set arrived in the post this morning, so that and the Trumpy AR 196's should result in a wonderful model. Then there's Graf Spee, Repulse, Revell Bismark and Tirpitz, and Airfix Illustrious..... Help!

Tony :clif:

Nice one, welcome to the wonderful world of maritime modelling.

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely build Dylan, can you tell me what you are using for reference for the paint job,

Mine arrived this morning and the instructions are a bit vague,

the kit looks great, if this is the future of 1/350 ships then I'm hooked.

anyone out there with a redundant set of 20/20 eyes.

I don't think my old Mk 1s will stand too much of the fiddly bits without me going cross eyed.

Just waiting for the WEM P/E to arrive, then its full steam ahead until the eyes give up.

regards

richtea

Lovely build Dylan, can you tell me what you are using for reference for the paint job,

Mine arrived this morning and the instructions are a bit vague,

the kit looks great, if this is the future of 1/350 ships then I'm hooked.

anyone out there with a redundant set of 20/20 eyes.

I don't think my old Mk 1s will stand too much of the fiddly bits without me going cross eyed.

Just waiting for the WEM P/E to arrive, then its full steam ahead until the eyes give up.

regards

richtea

I'm actually building this one, :D

I'm using the kit instructions paint guide and info from THIS SITE

One thing I shoud say is that take your time, there are loads of PE in the kit for the AA, as you can see in my posts above, and read the instructions carefully. Also beware of the main cranes and check references as the instructions are not very clear as to what bit goes where.

I just got my deck for the kit from hobbyeasy. i'll let the pics do the talking

Hey, looks like they even got the butt staggers correct, unlike Trumpeter's plastic...drives me nuts on my Hood.

Many thanks for the link, that is a useful site.

As for taking my time, I dont think I have any options on that.

My full steam ahead is realy kind of snails pace.

Look twice, glue once is the way ahead with this kit.

Regards

Richtea

• 2 weeks later...

So, having had my little sojourn with armour I'm back onto this one. I've started painting the camo using a mixture of airbrush and paintbrush, using the Gator masks as a guide more than anything as you can't use them properly with all the parts fitted to the superstructure.

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Dave,

Are the masks worth it ?

In my opinon, no. They are great for the main hull, but unuseable for the superstructure unless you don't fit any of the smaller parts.

Ok, here's the starboard side finished, the port side had a few issues, mainly with the masks leaving glue behind in some areas, nothing major, but slightly annoying. I also tried the wooden deck for size.

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

The wooden deck set even has items for the main boats.

IMG_2717.jpg

I think you should get this one finished Dave, not too much left to do mate, looking very good indeed.

BR

Dan

Thanks, but you're having a laugh aren't you Dan. :hypnotised: Even at this stage there is loads more to do. I'm working on the main superstructure parts in turn at the moment. Adding the kit etch, painting the camo, adding the WEM etch then adding the wooden decks. I'm only half way through the bridge section and I've spent most of the weekend on it. :analintruder:

Thanks, but you're having a laugh aren't you Dan. :hypnotised: Even at this stage there is loads more to do. I'm working on the main superstructure parts in turn at the moment. Adding the kit etch, painting the camo, adding the WEM etch then adding the wooden decks. I'm only half way through the bridge section and I've spent most of the weekend on it. :analintruder:

Stop Chatting and get building then ! Only ,joking Dave keep up the

good work.

Dan

Edited by Dads203

Here you are then Dan. Still quite a bit to add to the bridge structure, plus a couple of railing to replace after I squished them whilst painting.

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

I've also added some of the WEM etch to the larger of the small boats.

IMG_2724.jpg

Thanks Dave,

Your link led me straight to them,

no problems with customs & excise then ?

Regards

Richard

I haven't had any problems with HMRC or Parcel Force when using Hobbyeasy.

• 3 months later...

Finally got back to building this after a long lay-off. Finished the bow section. Ended up spraying the flag and just using the swastika emblem from the decal sheet. Will now work my way backwards, completing each section in turn.

Bow2.jpg

Bow1.jpg