DKM Scharnhorst

Shar2

• 2 weeks later...
Vey nice work. I think I need to get my sea legs back and build another ship soon. I see Trumpeter have just released a 1:700 RN Roma too... :wicked:

Thanks Paul. Yeah they have, but I'm waiting for the 1/350 kit. :frantic:

Looking good.

What are you going to use to seal the wooden deck ?

I'm not going to seal it. Don't think it's necessary, as, when finished it will be housed in a case.

Dang, she is looking right purty!

Not sure if I'll EVER get round to getting one of these, but these pics are seriously tempting!

That deck makes a real difference, too.

Keep up the good work, Dave. Longing to see it all finished.

Cheers

Kev

Dang, she is looking right purty!

Not sure if I'll EVER get round to getting one of these, but these pics are seriously tempting!

That deck makes a real difference, too.

Keep up the good work, Dave. Longing to see it all finished.

Cheers

Kev

Thanks Kev. To be honest, I'll be glad to see it finished. I've just got to get over the amount of etch that still needs to be added.

Latest section to be completed, although, having reviewed the photos I need to do a bit of touching up here and there. The WEM railings were cut to size which made things a lot easier, even though some of the bending was straight forward.

sIMG_3693.jpg

sIMG_3694.jpg

sIMG_3695.jpg

sIMG_3696.jpg

I've also replaced the kits stand supports as they really weren't up to the job, making the model unstable. So using the works 3D printer and Solid Works software I quickly knocked up much larger ones. Not sure what colour to paint them yet, but they make the model so much safer on the stand.

sIMG_3697.jpg

sIMG_3699.jpg

Cheers Dan. Each section is a model in it's own right. Every time I think I'm getting to the end I find more and more parts to add. But a section a week seems to be the norm. So only 2 or 3 weeks more work and it'll be ready for display.

That's one heck of a model coming along there, great work.

Mention was made of the vinyl material used for some of the components of Academy's ship kits. I have their 1/700 Bismarck and the funnel is moulded in it. I'm probably out to lunch here but I think it allows the part to deform slightly on release from the mould, thereby allowing detail to be moulded on those surfaces of the part that slide past the mould on the way out.

Joseph

I've also replaced the kits stand supports as they really weren't up to the job, making the model unstable. So using the works 3D printer and Solid Works software I quickly knocked up much larger ones. Not sure what colour to paint them yet, but they make the model so much safer on the stand.

sIMG_3697.jpg

sIMG_3699.jpg

Cor Blimey, Dave! You better get some paint on those new stand pieces - it looks like she's sitting on a couple of teacups! ;)

Seriously though, looking better and better. Long haul, those big battlewagons with all the PE, ain't they? You're doing a great job - but I still haven't bought one! hee hee...

Kev

I've managed to get quite a bit more done over the last couple of evenings, the advantage of having done all those sub assemblies earlier.

The final parts of the superstructure are fitted and most of the finer details. Just a few more bits to add and to dress the mast before fitting. Also sprayed the rear swastika on the quaterdeck.

sIMG_3700.jpg

sIMG_3701.jpg

sIMG_3702.jpg

sIMG_3704.jpg

sIMG_3703.jpg

sIMG_3705.jpg

Well, managed to finish her a lot quicker than I had expected, although having taken the photos I've noticed a couple small items still need to be added. I also have to sort out what colour to paint the stand, then it'll be ready for RFI.

sIMG_3706.jpg

sIMG_3707.jpg

sIMG_3708.jpg

sIMG_3709.jpg

sIMG_3711.jpg

sIMG_3712.jpg

sIMG_3713.jpg

Looks grand that Dave... now sort out the teacups ;)

Alclad gold will look nice :coolio:

That's the way I was going to be honest. Gloss black primer then the gold, then some gloss varnish.