DKM Scharnhorst

Shar2

Scharnhorst%20Box.jpg

Having done the in box review I thought I may as well get on and build it, especially as it looked so good. I will be building the Scharnhorst as she was at the Battle of North Cape, (before she was battered to bits). Although there are parts in the kit that you can use to back date her to the time of the Channel Dash. But I liked the later paintjob. This won't be as quick a job as my last ship the DKM Graf Spee as a). It's quite a bit bigger, and b ). There are a lot more parts and c). My back is a lot better and I have to return to work. :frantic:

As is usual for me, I start at the bottom and work my way up. I drilled out the holes for the mounting finials. These are moulded with a guide on the inside of the hull so you shouldn't get it wrong. I also had to drill the required holes out of the stand itself. These I primered and used AlcladII Pale Gold.

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

Before painting the lower hull I fitted the outer prop shafts and both rudders. Whilst they were curing I used the Alclad Pale Gold on the props and am really pleased the way they have come out.

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

The props in the pics above are just placed on, which shows the kind of fit you get with this kit.

Edited by Shar2

What primer are you using for the Alclad paint?

I'm using their grey primer and microfiller.

Cheers Paul. I thoroughly recommend them. For a real shine you might want to use the black primer I've been told, would certainly be good for the brass shell cases.

ta Dan, I've been really looking forward to this build ever since I bought the kit. Best I don't cock it up.

Edited by Shar2

I'm using their grey primer and microfiller.

Cheers Paul. I thoroughly recommend them. For a real shine you might want to use the black primer I've been told, would certainly be good for the brass shell cases.

ta Dan, I've been really looking forward to this build ever since I bought the kit. Best I don't cock it up.

Cheers....great start btw thumbsupmp0.gif

Ok, managed to do a bit more this weekend, (the week was just too hectic to get any modelling done). I'm still waiting for a couple of paints so decided to paint the maindeck and build up some sub assemblies. Whilst I love this kit the instructions are a blooming nightmare. Cluttered and very difficult to read, if I was Dragon I would really take another look at these as this area needs improving, and hope their USS Independence instructions are better. None of the main parts are fixed in their positions yet, neither are the guns, the DS just holding them in place, although the barrels are glued in.

The turrets, including the weird vinyl stuff which apparently is the same as used in Dragon Tank kits for the tracks,(DS, apparently Dragon styrene). It looks great with very fine detail and liquid polly works really well with it.

IMG_2310.jpg

The beginning of the bridge structure and one of the secondary turrets.

IMG_2311.jpg

The funnel and hanger. The brass etched funnel interior were a right beech to fit and still needs some tweeking to get straight.

IMG_2312.jpg

A couple of overall shots to give an idea of how she's looking. The fit on all parts so far has been amazing. My biggest gripe is that whilst there is no flash, there a lots of injector bobbles on the parts which removing and the part cleaning up.

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

BTW the cutting mat in the pictures is A3 to give an idea of the length of this ship.

I`ll be following this with interest,Enjoy it Shar2!!

Cheers Phil

Oh I will Phil. I've just ordered the Gator masks for the camo from WEM. Just thought it would be interesting to see how they work for when I do a Measure 31/33 on my North Carolina which Gator also produce.

Edited by Shar2

Looking good so far, can't wait to see it finished..

I'd like to ask a question though,

Is it really worth the money Dragon want for it? The cheapest I have seen it is £116.99.

Does it move 1/350 Ship kits on enough to justify the high cost?

Simon

Is it really worth the money Dragon want for it? The cheapest I have seen it is £116.99.

Simon

YES!!!

Cheers,Phil

Simon

Absolutely, apart from the instructions the kit is fabulous, although I would recommend the WEM PE set for it to really finish it off. BTW, I have seen it up for £108.90 incl P&P on Ebay.

although I would recommend the WEM PE set for it to really finish it off. BTW, I have seen it up for £108.90 incl P&P on Ebay.

Review here for anyone still doubting Dave* :)

* he does look a bit shifty, afterall ;)

You've got my attention:) I bought mine from a trader at the IPMS Brampton show, and I paid £95 cash for it. Mr.Models had two kits on their stand and they were asking £100, so it can be found for less than the RRP. Wroth the money? Absolutely IMO. The engineering of the kit is so clever and the level of detail far higher than Tamiya's 1:350 scale battleships, so that justifies the price tag. Mind you, the prices of the Tamiya ships seem to have remained fairly consistent on the £40 mark for quite some time, but if they were new releases today, they'd probably not be far from the £100 mark.

The camouflage scheme in the instructions...spectacular though it s I thought this scheme was only carried for a short while in 1943 and when the Scharnhorst went on her last mission she carried an overall dark grey scheme with the bow and stern in light grey only...

Some good info on this German language site.

http://www.schlachtschiff.com/kriegsmarine...horst/index.asp

Pics...

http://www.schlachtschiff.com/kriegsmarine...lerie/index.asp

Jens

You've got my attention:) I bought mine from a trader at the IPMS Brampton show, and I paid £95 cash for it. Mr.Models had two kits on their stand and they were asking £100, so it can be found for less than the RRP. Wroth the money? Absolutely IMO. The engineering of the kit is so clever and the level of detail far higher than Tamiya's 1:350 scale battleships, so that justifies the price tag. Mind you, the prices of the Tamiya ships seem to have remained fairly consistent on the £40 mark for quite some time, but if they were new releases today, they'd probably not be far from the £100 mark.

The camouflage scheme in the instructions...spectacular though it s I thought this scheme was only carried for a short while in 1943 and when the Scharnhorst went on her last mission she carried an overall dark grey scheme with the bow and stern in light grey only...

Some good info on this German language site.

http://www.schlachtschiff.com/kriegsmarine...horst/index.asp

Pics...

http://www.schlachtschiff.com/kriegsmarine...lerie/index.asp

Jens

See HERE She carried the dazzle/splinter pattern between Sept and Dec 1943 scheme.

Haven't done much for the usual reasons, plus visitation of GF.

Spent a whole day going cross-eyed building the light AA armament and adding PE details to the mains and secondarys. Still more PE to add. Each AA weapon comes in at least 4 parts with another 4 or 5 of PE, the carpet monster tried to grab some but managed to claw them back from the brink.

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Hi, this ones on the want list you're doing a real nice job the turrets & secondry guns look the dogs..

. Whilst I love this kit the instructions are a blooming nightmare. Cluttered and very difficult to read, if I was Dragon I would really take another look at these as this area needs improving

I agree Dragons instructions are a real pain its their only letdown.

Andy. :goodjob:

Hi, this ones on the want list you're doing a real nice job the turrets & secondry guns look the dogs..

I agree Dragons instructions are a real pain its their only letdown.

Andy. :goodjob:

Even more so when they're showing where the PE goes. I don't know if it's just me, but the ambiguity of positioning really makes it hard work. The Academy Graf Spee instructions were an absolute deligth to read when compared with the Scharnhorsts.