`41 Plymouth Coupe & `58 Chevy Impala.

`Ow do fellas.

I’ve done a bit more to the Impala repair.

I’ve filled the gap with plastic strip glued in place with 5 minute epoxy & left to cure for two days.

The strip is a little oversize to allow for profiling which you can see is the stage I’m at the moment.

I removed the masking tape in the second picture because it became scuffed, as the picture demonstrates there's still more work to do.

PB120186.jpg

PB120188.jpg

I’ve caught a cold from my Daughter, she’s so generous with her viruses, so now I’m off to dynamite my sinuses. :boom:

:cheers:

:poppy::poppy::poppy:

Thanks guys.

Isn’t it funny how a little problem like that can put a dampener on a build.

I remembered being really hacked off when I broke the pillar, losing all interest in the build thereafter.

I wrapped the body in tissue paper & put it back in the kit box with no immediate intention of repairing it, if at all, thus condemning the Impala to a measly existence on the shelf of doom.

It glowered & sneered at me from its lonely prison for months on end daring me to return it to the construction fold.

Then one day I hit a stone wall with the Plymouth build, seeking a diversion I got the Impala down & with renewed enthusiasm repaired it.

Because of a problem with one build I managed to fix, what seemed at the time, an insurmountable problem with another.

Weird how things turn out isn’t it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mornin all.

A small update on the `41 Plymouth glacial build.

I’ve completed the interior tub to the best of my ability’s; it isn’t perfect by any means but I'm happy with it. I’m very envious of those among us that can paint & detail convincing dashboard instruments. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I’m hopeless at this.

The interior is brush painted with Tamiya acrylics, it’s my first time using them & to be honest I didn’t enjoy the experience. I’m a dinosaur when it comes to paint, much preferring enamels to these new-fangled acrylics. Having said that I use acrylics from a rattle can for large areas like car bodies. And I get on quite well with them through an airbrush, so I recon it’s down to my poor brush painting rather than the paint. Maybe a different brand would have helped, I dun’no.

PC180203.jpg

Now for a quick look under the bonnet. There’s nothing special going on here, just a few plug wires & some coil detail. Fuel lines would have been good but I glued the motor in before I thought about them. :doh: Maybe next time I’ll remember, but don’t count on it. :winkgrin:

PC180202.jpg

I’ve got the bumpers, lights etc. cooking in the Mr Muscle. When they’re done I’ll spray them with Alclad Chrome & clear coat them with Johnson’s.

I think I’ll modify the head lights to further define the side lights, that sounds a bit silly doesn’t it, but all will become clear later. I hope.

Hi Dave, Tamiya acrylics aren't the best for brush painting - they tend to dry too quickly. Try Valejo, lifecolor or - my favourite for brush painting - Games Workshop Citadel colours.

This Stratos dash was done mainly with Games Workshop Mithral silver for the bezels & relays, with the fuses & warning lights also getting a coat of it. When dry the fuses were given a very thin wash of various GW colours, with the warning lights getting dabs of Tamiya clear colours - that didn't need brushing out! I just use a very fine brush to apply the paint, with a wet sharpened cocktail stick to sharpen up the edges where my hand wobbles when using the brush!!

380.jpg

But, as Chris says, your interior is looking very nice anyway!!

Keef

Going really well,looks great.I use Humbrol acrylics and brush paint.I hated them when I first used them,but by thinning them with water I find no problem now.I have got one colour of Citadel and that brushes really well straight from the pot so I'll use more of them if I can get the right colours.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the painting advice chaps, I particularly like Keef’s sharpened cocktail stick idea, cheers mate.

A small update on the glacial Plymouth build.

I’ve stripped the chrome from the outer trim & re-sprayed it with Alclad Chrome. You all know the process so I shan’t bore you with it. I’ve got some painting to finish on the light lenses before I seal everything in with a coat of Johnsons Kleer.

The end is in sight now & I’m resisting the temptation to rush, I don’t want to make a ricket of the thing now but I’m itching to get on with the Impala.

P1010204.jpg

P1010205.jpg

P1010206.jpg

Many thanks for the painting advice chaps, I particularly like Keef’s sharpened cocktail stick idea, cheers mate.

No worries Dave, hope it helps!

I think the chromework looks much better Alcladed!

Happy New Year!

Keef

Thanks Keef & Mike.

The kit is from a tooling that is quite old & a bit “fits where it touches” but that didn’t detract from the fun factor, I found it a thoroughly enjoyable build, & I just love the subject matter.

I just can't resist those big American jelly-moulds from the `30s `40s & `50s.

While looking around my favourite online model shop Model Roundup I came across this resin transkit`41 Plymouth sedan delivery, I have to admit I’m very tempted to splash out & get one, after all I do have a birthday looming & my wife is fishing for pressie ideas.

What do you recon fella’s, should I ? :huh:

Hi Dave,

The link to the transkit doesn't seem to work? I tried various permutations but couldn't see it. But anyway, if your birthday is coming up it would be rude not to get it, especially if the missus is buying!! (it's also my excuse for already breaking my New Years resolution to not buy any more kits!! - mine's next week when I reach 55, & SWMBO won't be buying me any more toys!!)

Keef

Edit: found the t/k using the search function Dave - it looks great, & I like the colour of the real one shown! It definitely gets the thumbs up from me!

Edited by keefr22

:hmmm: Hmmmm, sorry about that Keef, I've tried to rectum-fry the broken link problem but cant, copyright isues I think because I'm not able to copy the pictures either.

You've found the t/k so all's well.

I agree with you about the colour, maroon seems to suit it well.

I managed to find a picture on the interthingy...........I think I'm smitten. :wub::Tasty:

4772530113_bb1104c491_z.jpg

bigbadbadge Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM

Wow what a fantastic looking model, can't wait to see the Impala.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I'll be making a start on the Impy this evening hopefully, thats if I can wriggle out of taking the Christmas dec's down ;)

I took a few more pictures this morning, thw wind had dropped & for a brief time the sun came out B)

The daylight shots have brought the colour out & shows the subtle pastel weathering.

P1060229.jpg

P1060227.jpg

P1060233.jpg

• Like 1

In Delivery photo,is that a dustbin under the door or just a big silencer!

Or maybe he drove over a robot :D:rolleyes:

In all truthfulness Mike I have no idea, it could be a custom silencer or maybe the original one has sagged. It is an old car & things tend to sag with age, I sure have :lol: