`41 Plymouth Coupe & `58 Chevy Impala.

A protracted recovery from surgery had put a temporary stop to my model building. I’m on the mend now & I’ve taken to the bench again if only for short periods.

So here’s where I’m at; two body’s both with colour waiting polishing.

The green one is a 1941 Plymouth Coupe & the yellow one is a 1958 Impala.

2010_1001new-stuff0002.jpg

2010_1001new-stuff0001.jpg

2010_1001new-stuff0004.jpg

I’ll try & keep this thread updated but don’t expect a quick build. I’m a plodder at best & until I heal up plodding’s about as much as I can manage. ^_^

I hope you like them, comments always welcome, I’ve got a thick skin. ;)

Edited by Diesel Gypsy
  • Like 1

Nice start Dave, good to see something that's not prop or jet driven.

The muted colour on the old American cars always look good, is the roof of the Impala white?

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle all the chrome!

Keep going, at what ever pace.

Warren

Thanks for the input chaps.

Madmonk Posted Today, 12:49 PM

is the roof of the Impala white?

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle all the chrome!

It doesn’t show up very well but the Impala roof is in fact Rover Arum White, a sort of creamy ivory colour. The body is Ford Jasmine. Both of theses are Halfords rattlers.

The Plymouth is Ford Highland Green, again Halfords rattler.

I chose theses colours because of their muted tones, less harsh than say bright yellow, green & Appliance White. And as you point out with the Plymouth old American “jelly moulds” tend to have muted colours.

As for the chrome I think I'll be bulk buying the Bare Metel Foil. :lol:

Good to see you back modellin' again Dazie... I'd be interested to see what the polishing process involves, as I've often wondered how car modellers get that "in-scale" glossy finish :)

Liking those Dave! Can I ask what colour/paint you've used on the '41 Plymouth? It looks spot on for the green they used on Ford Anglia's & which I hope to spray the 24th Anglebox I've got - when I can get around to starting it! I know just whay you mean about being a plodder.....!!

Looking forward to seeing more on these

Keef

Edit: Sorry Dave, my page hadn't refreshed so I hadn't seen your reply about what the green was.....!! :doh:

Edited by keefr22

I love these cars, lovely smooth finish on the paintwork too. That Chev Impala in particular is from a vintage I especially like, terrific drama & style with the fins, Buck Rogers spaceship lines.... I look forward to seeing updates - I'm sure you build no more slowly than I do... Is that Chew Valley in the background?

Regards, Tony

Rishi Posted Today, 06:40 AM

Hi Dave, The choice of colors is great. i like the Impala. 1:24 scale??? There is a nice scene from the terrace u took photos.

I'm pleased you like the colour Rishi, yes it's the AMT 1:24th scale. It’s an oldie but a Goldie.

I also have the Monogram version which was mastered from a die cast model. It has separate chrome moulding for all the major trim parts which I’m not too keen on. In the long run it means less foiling but I’m not sure how good it will look when finished. Truth be told when I build it.

As for the view; I wake up to that view every morning, it’s the view from a balcony off the main bedroom. And a convenient place to photograph models.

corporate Posted Today, 08:56 AM

Is that Chew Valley in the background?

No, that's Blagdon Lake. The smaller of the two lakes but in my opinion the prettier of the two but then I’m biased because I live in Blagdon.

Hi Dave,

Just been perusing your thread again, & the 41 Plymouth is giving me an idea - wouldn't it look good as one of the classic racecars from La Carrera Panamericana??!! It's not as if I need any more ideas, but, can you tell me what kit it is??!!

Keef

My pleasure Keef,

My kit is AMT kit #6184.

The box art depicts a mild custom but the parts for a factory stock Plymouth are included.

2010_1001new-stuff0003.jpg

There have been several reincarnations for this tooling over the years mine being the latest.

To my knowledge a factory stock model can be build out of all the boxing’s except the “Rocker” version.

To my knowledge this only has the parts to build the custom Rocker model.

I think all the factory stock boxing’s carry the “Rocker” custom parts, certainly my boxing does & so does the previous reissue which I also have.

B6BZKlBGkKGrHqFgsEy15uTotJBMv3KLLm5g_12.jpg

41plymrock.jpg

I think a La Carrera Panamericana build it’s an excellent idea, good luck with it whenever you decide to build it. ;)

I hope these mumblings have been some use to you.

:cheers:

Cheers Dave! I'm not sure I'd exactly say your mumblings have been of use (the missus certainly wouldn't! :whistle: ) - they've just gone & added something else to the SMW shopping list....!!! :D

And I think I will do one as a Mexican road racer - one day (I'm going to be very busy when that day comes along!!)

thanks muchly for the info! :speak_cool:

Keef

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve had a lovely relaxing Christmas with the family, the batteries are recharged & I’m ready to face the world once again. So it’s about time I bump-started this build.

Over the Christmas I’ve been polishing the body, I rubbed through the colour coat in a place or two which required re-spraying, always a problem when you’re watching TV while polishing, my fault for not paying attention to what I was doing.

I stripped the chrome from the grill & re-sprayed it with Alclad which I think gives a more realistic appearance than the very shiny kit chrome.

After a coat of Johnsons Klear Promodeller dark wash was used to define the grill.

Now for the part that I find the most difficult, the Bare-metal-foiling. It’s a process that I quite enjoy but one that I find frustrating at the same time.

I’ve almost finished it now but after examining the body during photographing there are one or two places I’m not happy with so I’ll re-do them.

A few more details need doing besides the foiling, like the rubber strip around the rear window, lights, trim & the like.

2011_0102Plymouth0003.jpg

2011_0102Plymouth0001.jpg

2011_0102Plymouth0004.jpg

2011_0102Plymouth0005.jpg

2011_0102Plymouth0002.jpg

2011_0102Plymouth0006.jpg

:cheers:

Great stuff, good to see you back at the bench Dave!!

The alcladed grille looks really good, & you've made a much better job of bare-metalling than I ever do, I hate the stuff!! It's another reason I prefer to build competition cars as usually the chrome trim is the first stuff ripped off them.....!!

All the best, Happy New Year!!

Keef

• 5 weeks later...

Just a small update Playmates.

I've done all the foiling that I'm going to do.

The next job will be to finish the body details.

The door handles & locks need painting in. Head & side lights, which are proving problematic need installing as does the bonnet ornament.

The bonnet & boot badges require detail painting as do the wipers. Oh, & the running boards need painting, foiling & fitting.

So there’s still some way to go before I'm happy & I can call it finished. Interior & running gear will follow.

2011_0128Plymouth0007.jpg

On a more tragic note the Impala had a setback.

While foiling I gripped the model too hard & broke the A pillar. Mr Sausage fingers strikes again :doh::oops: .

When I've figured out how, I'll repair the damage & finish the job I started. Until then I'll concentrate on finishing the Plymouth.

2011_0202Plymouth0043.jpg

2011_0202Plymouth0044.jpg

More soon Playmates.

Edited by Diesel Gypsy

Shame about the pillar Dave, but I'm sure it'll be right in the end!

Really love the colours of both of these, & both paintjobs are looking gorgeous, but that green on the Plymouth just looks so 'right'!! Can't wait to see it finished!

Keef