Replacing Raised rivets?

Irishgreek

Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question. I am working on the old 72 scale Airfix Meteor. Pretty much OOB, just a quick time filler between waiting for other projects dry times, etc.

Anyhow, got the fuselage together, and in cleaning up the seams, of course sanded off the raised rivets. Without sanding all off and riveting the whole plane, do any of you have any tips that are not too over-whelming?

Thanks,

John

Dont know if I would really bother replacing raised rivets in 72 scale but if you must, by far the best and easiest way is the Archer surface detail decals as suggested by the post above. I recently used them to replace the rivets lost through sanding on a Monogram 48 scale Huey I was working on and you cannot tell the difference between the decals and the moulded detail. The archer website contains a PDF document that shows all the rivet decals actual size so you can work out which ones to order. I found they did not have to be exactly the same as the all you are looking for is consistancy of raised detail and it is easy to fool the eye into believing they are all the same size, if you know what I mean

Bruce

I had the same question albeit on another forum.

A nice German gentleman pointed me to this:

http://www.archertransfers.com/catSurfaceDetails.html

Haven't used them myself but they are supposed to be excellent.

Hope this helps.

These are excellent and a much easier solution than super glue and a toothpick. The transfers are actually 3 dimensional and look very good when applied and painted.

Cheers

Mike

I had the same question albeit on another forum.

A nice German gentleman pointed me to this:

http://www.archertransfers.com/catSurfaceDetails.html

Haven't used them myself but they are supposed to be excellent.

Hope this helps.

I've used these and the weld seams on my railway projects and they really are very good!

Dave.

Sand it down. At scale distances, you cant see a bunch of rivets on the airframe. Personally, I think it wold look better made smooth.

These are excellent and a much easier solution than super glue and a toothpick. The transfers are actually 3 dimensional and look very good when applied and painted.

Cheers

Mike

You can't fault Archer's 3D rivet decals. I've used them a lot, and they're even supplied in differing pitches on the sheet if you want to lay them in lengths. The carrier film is so thin that it disappears under primer, and leaves you with a realistic line of rivets :)

Do any UK vendors carry these or is it a case of ordering direct from the US?

Order direct - at $2 worldwide postage, it's not even painful, and my last couple of packets arrived within 5 days :)

• 2 months later...

Quite how you did such a tidy job while following those instructions I don't know but well done anyway :lol:

Been meaning to ask about the Archer rivet decals since Mike mentioned them to me but this thread has saved me the bother. Britmodeller; for all your modelling needs. Apart from time...