M-113 APC

Never built one of these and can say it was very enjoyable. I used thread to 'tie down' the track to the top portions of the road wheels,used guitar string for the radio antenna and window screen material for the barbed wire. The model is painted with Tamiya acrylics,flat coated with Model Master clear and weathered and dirtied with Promods wash and Tamiya weathering sets. Your comments and suggestions always welcomed!

100_4943.jpg

100_4942.jpg

100_4944.jpg

100_4946.jpg

100_4951.jpg

100_4949.jpg

100_4953.jpg

100_4954.jpg

100_4956.jpg

Hey Sean,

Very nice. You have really gotten quite good with your weathering these days. The rain streaking on the side is very effective. I like that a lot. The interior has a really good base to it.

Now then, just a few suggestions…. You asked.

If you are not going to use the swim vane you might want to fill in the mounting holes for it. I would consider using it though, I can’t say I ever remember seeing a 113 without one, not that it is impossible to happen.

Don’t forget to dirty up that ramp. The inside of which would be dirtier than the sides of the vehicle since that is where the crew walks with their muddy boots. Add a lot of dirt to the top outside of the ramp where it sits in the mud when open.

You defiantly need to add stuff. I mean MORE stuff. Just the usual duffel, C-rat boxes, ammo cans, man pack radio, etc. remember there would probably be quite a few guys crammed on here with all their rucksacks and crud. Plus don’t forget those coveted comfort items solders always have on a vehicle like cots, tarps for rain, coolers, transistor radios, Playboys, you get the idea. Maybe line the bottom of the interior with sandbags. That was a common practice in Vietnam to help protect against landmines. A roll of RPG fence wouldn’t hurt on this one either.

It sounds like a lot I know, but it would really add life and the best part is, you don’t need to change anything you already have going. Just add!

You have enough armor under your belt now that it may be time to take it to the next level. As you said this kit is old, not that is a bad kit, but the tracks really show its age. They really don’t represent M113 track well at all. I am sure someone has to make AM track for M113 series vehicles these days. That would really set your 113 apart from the rest, at least something to consider. If you don’t go that route it was a good touch to tie the rubber band track down for that weighted appearance.

One last thing off the top of my head… I like that you did not use the mud guards. These were removed in muddy conditions because mud would clog up in there and cause you to “throw track.” That said, you might want to take a pin vise and drill out the bolt holes. You can use the kit mud guards to get the locations for the holes.

Your “track", as PC's are often refereed, looks great as is. These are just some of the things I’d add if it were me. Looks like a fun build that I WANT to do now… It’s all your fault! :frantic:

As always if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

Your friendly neighborhood Cav Scout,

Dave Shaw

I am sure someone has to make AM track for M113 series vehicles these days.

AFV Club do a set of individual links, complete with drive sprockets and mud-guards. I bought a set for my M113 ACAV, which I hope to enter for the Vietnam War Group Build early next year.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Hi Dave! Great to see you again! Hope all is well. Many thanks for the pointers as those are what make better builders of us all! Someone else suggested the ramp mud and weathering and I think I'll go that rout. The trim vane was left off for two reasons;1) I thought having it on would happen the engine compartment opening and 2) I found tons of pics of APCs without the vane. Agreed,I do need to plug up those holes. The tracks are CRAP! They had lots of flash and the locating tabs wouldn't fit into the holes. I cut the tabs off and just Super Glued the tracks. I've never done AM tracks much less individual links and fear my lack of experience and short temper would get the best of me.

If I knew where I could find all that stowage you mentioned,I'd be all over it as I have a good number of 113s,551s and M-48s to build and extra "luggage' would look great on them!

Thanks for all the tips and great seeing you again. Do you still visit ARC?

I'll send you my email via a PM. Many thanks for the kinds words! :speak_cool:

Yeah all’s well with me at the moment, At least it is now, my hard drive was crashed by a virus and I had to reformat it… AURGH! I had to return the camera I had been using to the one that owned it but now I have a new one that I like better. I still haunt ARC but I have not been checking the non aircraft page over there lately.

After battling my last panzer project I sort of lost steam with armor at the moment. So to refresh that, I am working on Monogram’s C-47. I am sure after all the sanding and filling on that I will be ready to get back to armor. I saw your C-47 when I did a search over there for them, very nice.

I will hopefully have a thread on the goony bird this weekend. I’ll get an email to you then to talk about tracks when I have more time…. You KNOW how windy I can be. :blah:

In the mean time, as Obi-Jiff suggests VP has extra gear also Academy has a few sets that’ll supply you with some good pieces as does Tamiya. These are usually listed as “modern” since much that was used then is still used today. That should help to get you started in your search.

I talk to ya later,

Dave Shaw

out

I just checked over at Sprue Bros and saw that AFV Club makes a set of tracks for the M-113. Is that for ANY M-113 manufacturer or is it only for AFV's line of models?

I just checked over at Sprue Bros and saw that AFV Club makes a set of tracks for the M-113. Is that for ANY M-113 manufacturer or is it only for AFV's line of models?

It should be a universal set. In fact they do two types of set, one is individual links, the other is old-fashioned rubber-band type. I've got the individual links set, and it includes replacement drive sprockets, so you don't have to worry about the links not being compatible with the drive sprockets on your kit. It also includes replacement side skirts.

This is the individual link set for Vietnam M113s: M113 track

Obi-Jiff :fish:

G’wan and get the tracks. I know they can be intimidating at first but you’ll see they are not that hard. Believe me I am horrible with fiddly bits.

I like to use Testors liquid glue, the stuff in the black bottle with the hypo tip applicator. I like it because it takes plenty of time to set up so you’ll have the time it takes to get them on as you like.

The worst case you’ll put the rubber bands back on but at least you’ll know and won’t ever wonder about using them again. You won’t have any problems though and you’ll wonder why you didn’t get them before because they’ll look so much better.

Obi, tell him...

Dave Shaw

Out