Harriers to go in defence review

ScottC

I can see some sense in the Harrier decision but pouring money into Puma seems to go against the the governments stance on expenditure/strategic thinking? Maybe I'm a cynic but didn't the PM live fairly close to Benson? I experienced the 'Options for Change' fiasco in the early '90s and I only hope that the decisions regarding manning are not repeated i.e. all of a sudden realising that we had a shortfall in 'man'power.

I did'nt listen to Cameron's waffling, but the BBC certainly stated so on the 2pm news.

I say again, never believe it til you hear it direct. I heard the PM say for definite that the Mk.4 Nimrod was being cancelled. At that point his lips were moving* and, lo, he wasn't lying.

* allegedly. I still harbour the suspicion that he doesn't have any.

What a sad sad day. Presently listening to the theme tune by Ennio Morricone to that old Lloyd George series, and somehow the tune seems apt.

So what happens now? I guess they've been spending billions on some top secret permanently airborne UAV system which won't require a great deal of human intervention.

Best of luck to all those who will be directly affected by all this and indirectly - local infrastructure - life around bases etc.

Gobsmacked.

:shit:

:angrysoapbox.sml:

:poppy:

The BBC have just announced that the government has scrapped the Nimrod Fighter.....bloody hell didn`t that occur during the late 1930`s......they took their time announcing that one!!

Tony O

Then one reporter asked Ming Campbell how the navy would cope with no ships on its aircraft carriers!!...good old media.....thick as bulls**t!!

Edited by tonyot

Glad i started this thread now and now we have no maritime recon ability and no naval air power and the most worrying thing said was that we would count on our allies to fill our capability gap. That seams really dangerous to me !

Scott c

Harriers going then, Wittering & Cottesmore will cease; but it will remain open to receive the Army coming back from Germany.

Puma's being refurbished - I've got a man on the inside: Great, new engines but the gearbox is the same so it can't use full power!.

Chinooks - only 2 left here to do, probably 1 now; but all the team (are being terminated when they've been built)

MR4A - should have been done ages ago, now they can free up money to make the sentinals work?

Tristar - I've been in more U/S ones than serviceable.....................

I am sure not educating immigrant kids will save a squadron or two of Harriers. What is wrong with "immigrants"? They (and the EU) tend to be the scapegoat for everyhing. With respect aren't you an immigrant in Dubai? Are you integrated into the host community? My experience of ex-pat communities is that they tend to stick together , don't observe local customs or practice the local religion and don't learn the local language beyond an absolute minimum. This may not apply to you, though.

Shame about the harriers, though...

Van

I am an "immigrant" in the UAE, yes. But, I pay my way for everything, including visas for me and every member of my family to live here, get nothing free from the UAE Government, and have no rights in the country at all. I could be asked to leave at a moments notice. I follow local customs, don't practice the local religion as I'm not Muslim, and try to integrate with the local population as much as they will allow us.

I have absolutely nothing against immigration to the UK as long as there's a contribution back to the UK and it's not all take.

Anyway, that aside, a bleak day for the Armed Forces, and I wish you well all affected by this.

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Also talk of either Lossiemouth or Marham closing!

No Nimrod or replacement in site, Ark Royal being paid off, no Harriers or replacement in site but new carriers that'll will only carry copters for the future.....................bugger

Fingers crossed with get some super bugs or Rafales!

What do you reckon as a Nimrod replacement?? Gonna miss that old girl!

Maybe they could put '558 back into service!

I'm not going to close this one yet, so that people can discuss the various sweeping changes that have been announced today, but if it descends into politics and/or name calling as it did earlier when I wasn't around to stop it, it will be closed, and the protagonists dealt with.

Did any notice that Sentinal is to go after we withdraw from Afganistan, there nearly new !!!. So much for more ISTAR

Scott C

Remember that the Sentinel is not the only ISTAR asset the RAF has, and isn't even the only ISTAR asset it's squadron has. Interestingly the predicted downsize of the E3 fleet isn't mentioned and the RivetJoint is mentioned specifically, so that looks like it's still going ahead.

It's understood negotiations are underway with Vic (the garage owner) to retrieve the Shack from Johannesburg to replace the Nimrod..

0666080.jpg

Just heard a rumour that the workshops at Cosford have been asked to look into the cost of building a set of wings to go on the RAF Museums Supermarine Southampton fuselage and bring it back into service to cover the shortfall in maritime reconnaissance!!! Don`t ask BAe to do it cos it`ll cost billions to fit new wings to an old fuselage!!

As an ex squaddie myself you`ve got to laugh at this dogs mess which is another screw in the coffin of this nations fantastic armed forces, or you`d cry,

Cheers

Tony O

After listening to the PM's speech I am absolutely furious at hearing how the previous government messed up the orders on the new carriers and the F-35's. It will actually cost us less to build the two carriers than to cancel them. Who the bloody hell negotiated that contract?

I am saddened at the cuts and of the effect it will have on our forces, I am concerned for those who face an uncertain future, but my over riding feeling is one of anger towards the previous government who have put so much money into their own coffers , immigrants who refuse to pay their own way or respect our country's way of life, benefit cheats, criminals and bankers. (who are just well paid criminals).

Did you know that more people took part in last weeks x-factor vote than the last general election? Enough said I think.

You can read it for yourselves now, rather than relying on interpreting the various reports which have interpreted the various public statements about the Review.

Strategic Defence and Security Review

The main details about air assets are on pages 25, 26 & 27

From the above document,

"withdraw the Sentinel airborne ground surveillance aircraft once it is no longer required to support operations in Afghanistan."

How long has it been in service?!!

Mike

Sorry, bit late with my reply.

Edited by twentyten

As for the defence cuts, it's all a step towards full European integration, where individual countries will not have sovereign power any more, and we'll all be one (forced) European Union, and all defence will be pooled under a European Defence Force.

Now, as a non British national I had no intention of commenting on a matter that will affect only the British people, however as a European citizen, and having worked for a little while with the EC, let me say that I think you're blaming the wrong people here !

European Defence Force ? All the steps toward limited military integration are only the result of multilateral agreements between countries, there's never been any EU enforced attempt. More so as some countries in the EU are neutral, and as such have no interest in fighting Britain's or Italy's wars. Rightl so ! Things like the combined Brigades or other cooperation activities are sure encouraged but it's down to the individual countries to decide.

Forced integration in the european union ? Every country is free to leave whenever they want, it's clearly stated in the Treaties. Nobody is forced to stay in the EU, and any transfer of parts of the sovereign powers have to be approved by each country. The rubbish often written in the British press is one thing, the norms as written in the Treaties are another thing and only these constitute legal documents, not the articles in the Sun.

Now I'm not saying the EU is perfect, I know well it's not. But one thing is rightly criticising the problems, one is just using it as a scapegoat for everthing, more so matters that are not a result of EU policies.

P.S. moderator, feel free to delete if you believe this post is too political.

I was listening to LBC, and they were talking to an ex Pongo, and he said you can't fight a war i.e. Afghanistan when you're resources are being cut back like this.

Oh well looks like we could have a European Army, but do we really want to fight alongside the Italians, Germans and French?

Had a brief on board today at 1530 from the Commodore, as far as we (the RFA) are concerned we are losing: RFA Fort George, RFA Bayleaf and RFA Largs Bay (my current ship). Ark will be laid up by the end of the fiscal year.

The RN as a whole will lose the ability to embark the entirety of 3 Commando Brigade on ships. We've been told we will be getting between 3 and 6 new tankers (which are desperately needed!), the first is due to arrive in 2016. We've been told to make 10% savings in costs across the board.

A sad day for everyone.

Now, as a non British national I had no intention of commenting on a matter that will affect only the British people, however as a European citizen, and having worked for a little while with the EC, let me say that I think you're blaming the wrong people here !

European Defence Force ? All the steps toward limited military integration are only the result of multilateral agreements between countries, there's never been any EU enforced attempt. More so as some countries in the EU are neutral, and as such have no interest in fighting Britain's or Italy's wars. Rightl so ! Things like the combined Brigades or other cooperation activities are sure encouraged but it's down to the individual countries to decide.

Forced integration in the european union ? Every country is free to leave whenever they want, it's clearly stated in the Treaties. Nobody is forced to stay in the EU, and any transfer of parts of the sovereign powers have to be approved by each country. The rubbish often written in the British press is one thing, the norms as written in the Treaties are another thing and only these constitute legal documents, not the articles in the Sun.

Now I'm not saying the EU is perfect, I know well it's not. But one thing is rightly criticising the problems, one is just using it as a scapegoat for everthing, more so matters that are not a result of EU policies.

P.S. moderator, feel free to delete if you believe this post is too political.

Giorgio, I think it's just the feeling that the British public are denied any vote on anything to do with the EU and any associated treaty (especially Lisbon) that makes us mighty sceptical, and if you scratch below the surface of it, it's not very pleasant or democratic.

Anyway, this is not an EU thread (even though I raised the subject). My apologies.