Airfix 1:72 Avro 504K

Deacon

I built this as part of a Trainer GB, although I am not sure whether the colour is right for WW1 trainers.

This kit represents the 504K at RAF Hendon.

Any way, here it is, I hope you like it.

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

Cheers

Deacon

Hi Deacon,

Nice job considering it's such an old kit and very neat rigging for the small scale. I can remember first building it about 40 years ago! I know the flash can throw off the colours a bit but I'd say your green for the topsides is maybe a little bit too greenish and I would try adding a touch of brown next time. Underside doped linen and orangey spruce colour on the struts look spot on

Ed

Very nice looking 504 Deacon,that prop looks great.What paint did you use for the CDL underside as I'm after that colour for a Strutter.

:thumbsup: .......Dave.

What more feedback! :analintruder:

Much appreciated, thanks guys.

Magpie, perhaps Olive Drab in future then mate?

Dave (Alfisti), the under side is Games Workshops Bleached Bone.

Perhaps the photo gives more credit than I deserve as I haven't highlighted it or anything.

Cheers

Deacon

OMG! 1968 ? was it that long ago ? i remember making it when it was released , :blush: . . . i was VERY young in case you ask ! :whistle: - i loved it and it hasn't been bettered yet in 1/72 at least .

Anyway , that is a good looking Avro you have there Deacon , well done with the rigging too . - will you be adding windscreens ?

Magpie, perhaps Olive Drab in future then mate?

I like Games Workshop paints and use their Catachan Green mixed with a bit of Bestial Brown, I generally vary the mix so each model comes out a little bit different from the rest.

Agree Bleached Bone is great for CDL undersides.

Ed

the under side is Games Workshops Bleached Bone.

Cheers

Deacon

Very nice model Deacon.

Did you spray your bleached bone by any chance?

I still think that colour is one of the nicest 'out of the bottle' CDLs out there, but I have never had any luck spraying games workshop paint. Even when thinned, I really daren't put it through my 'good' airbrush... could you share any tips if you sprayed yours?

cheers

Will

That looks lovely and is a tribute both to you as the modeller and to Airfix. The finesse and delicacy of the molding really comes out in your photos. I wouldn't worry about the green, I think it looks spot on. The roundels have a very good (and correct) ultramarine colour too - are they from the kit?

Nick

I have never, ever recieved such great feed back than I have for this build. :blush:

Thanks.

Will - Sorry mate but I've stopped using my airbrush as I just found it a time consuming getting it all ready to put paint on stuff. So, the paint on this kit is

applied with a hairy stick. There are about three coats of Bleached Bone on there, the last being quite watery just to get that extra

bit of coverage in parts.

Nick - the decals are from the kit. I made a mistake applying rigging on the top wing and then trying to slide the decal underneath.

Also, you have to get the decal over the 'rgging guide'(?) on the top wing and aileron. This meant the decal was punctured in order to get it to lie flat.

So, over lumps and under rigging, they were bound to mis-behave a bit, but, it all turned out all right in the end. Where I had to split them

I patched them up with Games Workshop Regal Blue, Vallejo red and white.

Cheers

Deacon

painted with a hairy stick eh? Crickey, I'm just a wee bit more jealous of the model now! The GW paints do brush well, but hitherto, I've just used a very thin topcoat brushed GW bleached bone over a rattle-can basecoat of 'army painter' 'bone' (good out the can for French CDL btw). I just wondered if anyone had successfully thinned GW paints for spraying..

cheers for the reply,

Will

Edited by Killingholme