Cellulose Thinners

EV2UK

Hi all

I was in Halfords today getting some sand paper and noticed they had Cellulose thinners on the same shelf, so I got myself some.

The thing is, I'm not to sure what I bought it for because I'm not 100% sure what it can and can't be used for :rolleyes:

...so... can you all tell me what I can use it for..

..thinning, cleaning etc.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I use it for three things:

1) cleaning my airbrush after spraying Alclad products (including their primer)

2) cleaning my paintbrushes after applying Maskol

3) thinning Microscale Liquid Decal Film so that it can be sprayed.

I'm sure there are many other, more interesting, uses though :cyclops:

Cliff

you can strip acrylic very very easily with it just dont use it on clear parts ie canopies

Seriously? :shocked: Have you ever seen what cellulose thinners does to styrene? It melts it :owww:

You can thin enamels, Alclad, Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, you can use it to remove stubborn paint from your airbrush, and so forth.

You can't use it to thin Xtracrylix or Lifecolor unless you like painting with jelly, you can't drink it (and survive), and it can cause skin irritation if you slosh it on your hands. You shouldn't use it anywhere on styrene kits - even painted ones, and you definitely can't make a house from it. :) It also melts cutting mats, keyboards, mice, and anything else made of plastic.

Seriously? :shocked: Have you ever seen what cellulose thinners does to styrene? It melts it :owww:

You can thin enamels, Alclad, Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, you can use it to remove stubborn paint from your airbrush, and so forth.

You can't use it to thin Xtracrylix or Lifecolor unless you like painting with jelly, you can't drink it (and survive), and it can cause skin irritation if you slosh it on your hands. You shouldn't use it anywhere on styrene kits - even painted ones, and you definitely can't make a house from it. :) It also melts cutting mats, keyboards, mice, and anything else made of plastic.

I use white spirit for enamel paint, but I always add about 10% C/T to help speed it up. Spray lightly and in even coats, thereafter. Easy on the air pressure.

... You shouldn't use it anywhere on styrene kits - even painted ones....

Yes you can;

Sdkfz7-530.jpg

Trumpeter SdKfz 7 painted with Humbrol enamels thinned with cellulose thinners. Plus it was airbrushed over Games Workshop Chaos Black primer (which is acrylic). The trick is to use thin coats but because the solvent evaporates rapidly you can build up the coats fairly quickly. I prefer spraying with enamels, especially when I have an intricate camo scheme that requires a lot of concentration as I find acrylics clog easy (yes even with flow-aid), and I get frustrated having to clean the airbrush every few minutes. I DO use acrylics for but I much prefer enamel.

Hi,

I am using cellouse thinners for tamiya, revell and humbrol. u have a good primer base then no worries. I have seen most humbrol colors dry very slow - near 48 hrs sanding dry, But their Gloss black no.33 is one of the best for alclad II chrome.

Cheers,

rishi

Yes you can;

Trumpeter SdKfz 7 painted with Humbrol enamels thinned with cellulose thinners. Plus it was airbrushed over Games Workshop Chaos Black primer (which is acrylic). The trick is to use thin coats but because the solvent evaporates rapidly you can build up the coats fairly quickly. I prefer spraying with enamels, especially when I have an intricate camo scheme that requires a lot of concentration as I find acrylics clog easy (yes even with flow-aid), and I get frustrated having to clean the airbrush every few minutes. I DO use acrylics for but I much prefer enamel.

I should have made myself clear. :rolleyes: You shouldn't us it NEAT anywhere... etc.

I should have made myself clear. :rolleyes: You shouldn't us it NEAT anywhere... etc.

Hi Mike,

Recently i brought a isopropyl alcohol 70% from a med shop. any advice where its best used. It does not mix acyrlics, enamels??? But sure does clean airbrush without any nasty fumes likes n.c thinners. Any advice???

Cheers,

rishi

I use it to thin Gunze Mr Hobby Aqueous paints, Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master and Humbrol Enamels. I've found it vastly improves the paint finish. The important in the performance of Humbrol means I'm using those hold Humbrol tinlets I'd given up on.

I use Mr Color thinners, which is a lacquer (cellulose to you guys) thinner to strip paint. And it doesn't attack clear plastic

Hi Mike,

Recently i brought a isopropyl alcohol 70% from a med shop. any advice where its best used. It does not mix acyrlics, enamels??? But sure does clean airbrush without any nasty fumes likes n.c thinners. Any advice???

Cheers,

rishi

IPA can be used to strip most acrylic paints from plastic without damaging it - you might have to scrub with an old toothbrush or similar though*. It's also good for removing residue from sticky labels and sticky tape, and can be used to thin some acrylics - not Lifecolor, for one. It also smells lovely! :hypnotised:

* For small parts, I put them in a jar of IPA, then put the jar in my ultrasonic cleaner - brings them up a treat :)

• 5 months later...

Does cellulose improved the chance of smooth finishes and reduce the risk of orange peel sand paper finishes?

Does it improve paint adhesion? less chance of paint coming off?

If it dries faster.. then dont you have more of a chance of it evaporating while being sprayed, hence paint drying before touching model?

I use celly thinners for cleaning up & for thinning fillers like 3M & Squadron putty - although its not advisable on anything but light / fine filling as big lumps of thinned filler will melt styrene.

Hi all this was painted using xtracolor and cellulose thinners it gives it a great finish and dries quite quickly touch dry in an hour

IMG_1672.jpg

simon

Simon, That looks great. What proportion of celllulose thinners do you use?

Phil.

Simon, That looks great. What proportion of celllulose thinners do you use?

Phil.

i usually mix 40% thinner 60% paint and give it a very good mix but it does smell funny when painting

simon

i usually mix 40% thinner 60% paint and give it a very good mix but it does smell funny when painting

simon

I should imagine it would. Its pretty volatile stuff. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try it.

• 8 years later...

Hi,

AdriaN (MLT) raised a good point, what is the answer to it as I also wonder likewise.

Does cellulose improved the chance of smooth finishes and reduce the risk of orange peel sand paper finishes?

Does it improve paint adhesion? less chance of paint coming off?

If it dries faster.. then dont you have more of a chance of it evaporating while being sprayed, hence paint drying before touching model?

Merlin

• Thanks 1