DKM Scharnhorst and Gneisnau Update Set

Mike

DKM Scharnhorst and Gneisnau Update Set

1:350 White Ensign Models (WEM)

boxtop.jpg

Dragon have released a new tooling of these fearsome German WWII warships, and WEM have studied the kit long and hard to provide us with an update set to do the kit justice. Although the kit isn't yet in wide circulation in the UK at time of writing, the set is now available, so whether you're importing one from the Far East or waiting for it to hit the UK shops, you'll have this set available to you.

WEM are particularly well known and widely respected for their Photo-Etched (PE) update sets within the ship modelling world, and after their excellent set for the Airfix Illustrious, I was very keen to see this new set, so when John agreed to send one for review, I was very happy.

The packaging is simple, comprehensive and effective. Outside is a padded envelope, with a card backed photo-envelope inside. Inside that is another piece of card, and between that and the three sheet instruction manual, you'll find the PE sheet. The sheet is etched from 0.1mm brass, and measures 26cm x 14cm (10.25" x 5.5") in total.

The set is designed to complement and augment the PE that is already included in the kit, and will improve the finished product to museum quality if used carefully. The primary assemblies are as follows:

• Seaplane Catapult assembly with perforated walkway and railings.
  • Early Seaplane catapult. This is the early war fit of the catapult to the top of C turret, and includes the walkway, railings and the large mounting plate that allows it to sit level on the sloped forward part of the turret.
  • Foretop Yardarm Fittings - a set of footropes for the yardarms, plus railings tailored to the small platform (kit part L36).
  • Turmmast Fittings - Railings for the forward searchlight platform, and a replacement for some rather delicate kit parts that make up a small platform on the opposite side.
  • Bridge House Deck Railings - some super-fine railings for this area.
  • Funnel platform railings - again, custom fitted fine 3-bar railings for this area.
  • Lower Superstructure Railings - Railings for the 6 gun platforms on the battery deck. Sections of netting are also supplied for when the 105mm guns were used to prevent people being injured by falling shell casings.
  • Lower Superstructure Railings - including splinter shields for the lower parts.
  • Bulwark Railings - low railings of two types typically used in this location.
  • Accommodation Ladder Assembly - A pair of delicate ladders with handrails & platform, plus davit and suspension cable. One for each side of the hull when modelled at anchor.
  • Paravane details - Parts to super-detail the three kit paravanes after removing the (comparatively) chunky styrene details.
  • Canvas screens for the 15cm single gun turrets
  • 2cm Flak - to replace the styrene kit parts. 10 plus. one spare, made up from laminating two nicely rendered parts.
  • FuMo 22 Radar Antenna - again, for use if backdating the kit to early war fit.
  • FuMo 27 Radar Antenna - A delicate replacement for the kit parts.
  • Foc'sle railings - A custom fitted set of railings for the bow.
  • Superstructure railings - including detailed instructions on how to get the best fit.
  • Motor Boat Fittings, including rails and tilt supports, and bench seats, plus rudder and screw for the 11 metre launches and Admiral's gigs.
  • Oars for open boats - 12 of these handy detailing parts for the row boats
  • Marx Float Liferafts - 20 of these parts are supplied, designed to be laminated around a sheet of 1mm styrene, with the typical waffle-look top surface.
  • FuMb 1 radar emission detector - for an early fit.
  • Doors & hatches - to replace the thick moulded in plastic doors.
  • Crane rigging - as an alternative to thread or stretched sprue.

Casting an eye over the sheet, it's amazing the detail that is crammed into the parts, and it goes without saying that extreme care is needed when fitting all these parts to the kit.

As usual with WEM instructions, plenty of text is provided to assist you in building each assembly, and a fully numbered & described part listing is also supplied to remove any doubt as to what each part should be used for.

Conclusion

This is another excellent release from WEM, and for the £20.95 asking price (VAT increase at the end of the year), is a must have addition to this spectacular kit from Dragon. Etching is perfect, with no evidence of over or under-etching anywhere. Detail is crisp, and attachment points very thin and sensibly placed.

Of course, this set isn't for the novice, but anyone wishing to get the best from their kit should seriously consider investing in a set.

Review sample courtesy of John at logo.jpg

Well, if I can get my flying wing finished this week I'll get the Scharnhorst out and do a build review if you want? Would make a nice companion to the recently completed Graf Spee.

Well, if I can get my flying wing finished this week I'll get the Scharnhorst out and do a build review if you want? Would make a nice companion to the recently completed Graf Spee.

That sounds like a plan :)

• 1 year later...