1/32 Tamiya F-14B Tomcat

Hi guys,

As mentioned in my 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster entry, here's the 1/32 Tamiya F-14B build I made last year just before the Lanc. This bird took me about 8 months to create out of the following, above and beyond the Tamiya kit:

-Aires and Teknics resin and photo-etch cockpit sets (using the best of both).

-Eduard seat detail and placards sets.

-Cross Delta structural reinforcements set.

-Wolfpack F-14D airframe conversion set.

-Tamiya F-16 GE-110 burner cans X 2.

-TACTS pod from a Hasagawa A-4E Aggressor kit

-CATM-9 missile from an Academy F-18C kit

-Wolfpack Late type wheel set.

-Fightertown decals, #101 circa 2004.

-Phoenix metal Pitot tube & AOA sensor.

Although the Trumpeter F-14D kit has come out since I completed this build, I don't think it replicates the overall scale and proportions of the Tomcat quite like the Tamiya kit does, notwithstanding it's well documented problems like raised panel lines, etc.

With lots of work and many scratch-built add-ons, I think it looks like a pretty accurate Tomcat. One word about Squadron 101 though (SAME squadron number as my uncle's Lanc!), is that a lot of the bomb pylons and other ordnance normally found on other F-14 squadrons is missing, mostly because these 'Cat's flew naked as a training squadron and were therefore faster than regular Tomcats on aircraft carriers. Also, Bu No 163222 crashed shortly after it's re-paint in 2004, hence the fresh black paint against the typically weathered TPS gray paint.

"Turn and Burn Baby!"....

Finished2.jpg

_DSC2396.jpg

T4.jpg

_DSC2398.jpg

BK1.jpg

_DSC2405.jpg

_DSC2401.jpg

_DSC2403.jpg

C2.jpg

Cockpit8.jpg

C3.jpg

T10.jpg

T11.jpg

G1.jpg

G4.jpg

G5.jpg

G7.jpg

B1.jpg

_DSC2399.jpg

BK2.jpg

I have few more shots of specific angles and parts (including many build pics) if anybody wants them. Thanks for your interest.

Edited by Chuck540Z3

You can't fool me, you've got a ray gun that shrinks real aircraft down to 1/32 scale! That was well worth the 8 months in build and the weathering really sets it off. We need to know more about the weathering, do tell.

You really should write the definitive 'how to' guide on that weathering. Sir, I applaud you. :clap2:

Thanks Guys!

Actually, I do have a fairly comprehensive write-up on my "Salt Weathering Technique" that I could post here. Where would be the best place to post it?

Edited by Chuck540Z3