Calling all Shackleton buffs..

Windy

No major changes, apart from early MR-2 aircraft had a upper turret that was deleted later in their service life. Also they did not have the electronic warfare mast on the fuselage and they also had a bubble observation window on the top of the fuselage.

Edited by Windy

Hi all,

I've a Revell re-issue that's been sitting in it's box for a while and I'm considering converting it into a MR2 at some point in the future. Apart from the canopy, undercarriage and wingtips (and rivets!) what would I need to do to it? Is there any major re-shaping to be done?

Mike. :)

The forward fuselage on the Mk.2 is not as deep as on the Mk.3. The Aeroclub conversion has a replacement section for the bomb-bay and lower fuselage aft of the bomb-aimer's window to address this.

Just to add, that is one of the most realistic AEW2's I have seen. I'm lucky enough to live close to Manchester and visit the museum regularly just to gaze at" Dougal". About 30 years ago I converten a Shack using the Airmodel Gannet vacform and would love to do another Shack. I have 3 Revell kits in the stash, eventualy to be completed and set aside a Gannet and my Nimrod AEWand Sentry, to complete the line up.

Well done that man

Could I please ask you is it a staright forward job to merge either the Frog or Revell Shackleton with the Airmodel Gannet AEW as I have all 3 and would like to give it a go any references or info you can point me in the direction would be greatfully appreciated.

Colin Maclachan

Could I please ask you is it a staright forward job to merge either the Frog or Revell Shackleton with the Airmodel Gannet AEW as I have all 3 and would like to give it a go any references or info you can point me in the direction would be greatfully appreciated.

Colin Maclachan

Colin,

Yes and no is the answer. I was appalled at the non matching halves on my Gannet radome so I used it as a mould, filled it with a water based resin then took several sheets of wet and dry to it. i then mastered it to create a decent radome. You can graft the airmodel radome straight on if you don't mind it looking lumpy.

Colin Maclachan

I think I still have the AEW radome from the Aeroclub conversion somewhere, if that would help (I made an MR.2 so did not need it.) If you will cover the postage it's yours!

I think I still have the AEW radome from the Aeroclub conversion somewhere, if that would help (I made an MR.2 so did not need it.) If you will cover the postage it's yours!

Many thanks for your gracious offer I accept how much for postage. It will save me a lot of bother and time.

Colin Maclachlan

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but whose conversion is this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayViewItem=230556721421

Never seen the contents of the fabled Aeroclub set, so i wouldn't know it if i saw it.

Well, I also don't know whose conversion that is, but it isn't the Aeroclub, which has, at least in my kit, a two part radome with a separate bombay. Which together with the wingtips/ailerons are moulded in a tan coloured injection plastic.

Not suggesting anything, but I would say those parts bear a, errrr, ummmm - passing resemblance to the Aeroclub bits....

K

Well, I also don't know whose conversion that is, but it isn't the Aeroclub, which has, at least in my kit, a two part radome with a separate bombay. Which together with the wingtips/ailerons are moulded in a tan coloured injection plastic.

Not suggesting anything, but I would say those parts bear a, errrr, ummmm - passing resemblance to the Aeroclub bits....

K

Actualy, if you read the "how to make a radome " above, it's an Airmodel moulded radome on an extended Modelcraft bomb bay,

Steve

Actualy, if you read the "how to make a radome " above, it's an Airmodel moulded radome on an extended Modelcraft bomb bay,

Steve

OK, thanks Steve. They do still bear quite a resemblance to the Aeroclub parts - but if both sets of parts are accurate, then so I suppose they should.....!!!

Keef

• 2 weeks later...
OK, thanks Steve. They do still bear quite a resemblance to the Aeroclub parts - but if both sets of parts are accurate, then so I suppose they should.....!!!

Keef

Yes and no.

The Aeroclub bomb bay is more accurate than mine as you have to remodel the depth of the nose on theirs to match the depth of the forward bomb bay.

On mine, I grafted on the existing nose profile so the depth matches the kit without further sanding/reinforcement.

Not strictly accurate but neither is the frog model. As its done for my own use primarily, I wasn't too worried.

The only issue I need to overcome is resin shrinkage making a slopy fit but I.m working on it. My next mould will have a sliver of plasticard inserted along the bomb bay centerline to widen it so when I remake the master, it will shrink to fit.

Steve