The Start Of A New Industrial Scene - The Factory

Spence

Hey Guys!

With my enthusiasm a little low at the moment, I decided today to begin a new diorama, this time replicating a German armaments factory - or at least part of it! As with last year's 'Workshop' I decided that the best way to begin would be to build something simple - VP's new Milling Machine being the perfect candidate. Well, that was the easy bit out of the way - now the work really begins... :wall:

Spence :bye:

5059794893_765ba7b758_b.jpg

5060406022_58b855b8a6_b.jpg

Edited by Spence

That's... erm... really nice. :) Am I correct in thinking the chap playing pocket snooker makes an appearance in a lot of your photos?

Also, shouldn't the factory be bombed out? ;)

That's... erm... really nice. :) Am I correct in thinking the chap playing pocket snooker makes an appearance in a lot of your photos?

Also, shouldn't the factory be bombed out? ;)

He's my go-to guy for all scale related comparisons... Bombed out you say - nah..!!!!

Spence :)

Really nice work! That looks fantastic. I especially like the way you've done the shavings, as they add some life to it. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rust on a working machine, no self respecting engineer would let that happen, and especially anywhere near the screw threads they would be coated with grease.

While I agree that the engineers are very particular about this, I suspect that seeing as this was an armaments factory in Germany during WWII there wouldn't have been much time to worry about a little rust on the equipment, no matter how much the engineers didn't like it. They would have been too busy pumping out weapons and ammunition to support the war effort, and this workload would have been increased by the fact that the allies were bombing the heck out of the German war factories.

Wayne

Rust on a working machine, no self respecting engineer would let that happen, and especially anywhere near the screw threads they would be coated with grease.

I agree - but this a model, not the real thing!!! Joking aside, the reason that I use rusty colours on models such as this is that they add a visual highlight on surfaces that would otherwise be very bland - in this case being finished only in dark green and metal. The use of rusty shades helps to break up the surfaces of the parts and create the illusion of wear and tear, dust, dirt and corrosion - something that would have been an ever-present in a heavily used industrial environment such as the one I am trying to represent. Also, unlike the workshop that I completed last year, there is very little chance to use colours of any sort and so I need to add interest inside the completed scene and this is where the use of artistic licence comes into place - the use of rust may not be strictly accurate, but it MUST be used within a diorama if the completed scene is to look realistic to the viewer who takes the time to examine it once the diorama is complete...

I hope that this explains my approach to this aspect of diorama building and why I use these tricks on each one I complete.

Spence

Hey Guys...

After work began on my new diorama 'The Factory' with the completion of one of the machine tools (it will also feature a couple of large lathes and a drill press in one half of the scene...) I took a few days to paint the first batch of small accessories for the scene. Though not that exciting, these two images give you an idea of how much I will need to complete for the diorama (this is the first of three or four similar batches) and how each individual item needs to be carefully painted to match everything else for within the diorama!

I 'ope you like 'em!

Spence :)

5071612839_b64f6ebf8d_b.jpg

5072217914_8f8a83eec8_b.jpg

Great stuff as always Spence! But more importantly, what set-up do you use for the photography? there's no shadows at all and the exposure is pot on.....

Hey Guys!

With my enthusiasm a little low at the moment, I decided today to begin a new diorama, this time replicating a German armaments factory - or at least part of it! As with last year's 'Workshop' I decided that the best way to begin would be to build something simple - VP's new Milling Machine being the perfect candidate. Well, that was the easy bit out of the way - now the work really begins... :wall:

Spence :bye:

5059794893_765ba7b758_b.jpg

5060406022_58b855b8a6_b.jpg

another master piece on its way, watching this one.

malc.